Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175966 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #600 on: 03 November, 2017, 08:19:03 am »
I think your URL lost a bracket:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(novel)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #601 on: 03 November, 2017, 11:37:05 am »
Your one sentence using that ridiculous word has led me to massively  upgrade my probability of ever reading an Umberto Eco book  ;D

I'm still reading one of his (Foucault's Pendulum). I think I started it back in 2001.

Dense is an understatement. I'd consider burning it but I'm worried that it would continue to heat my house not just through the entire winter but for many summers and winters to come.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #602 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:16:02 pm »
There was a sex scene in one of his books I rather liked, forget which, but I could look it up if there is an interest.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #603 on: 03 November, 2017, 05:29:48 pm »
Meanwhile, how's Teethgrinder doing?  Last thing I heard he was suffering lurgy...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #604 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:06:57 pm »
Meanwhile, how's Teethgrinder doing?  Last thing I heard he was suffering lurgy...
erm don't you mean that lurgy is suffering a bout of Teethgrinder ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

whosatthewheel

« Reply #605 on: 04 November, 2017, 06:39:23 am »
Your one sentence using that ridiculous word has led me to massively  upgrade my probability of ever reading an Umberto Eco book  ;D

I'm still reading one of his (Foucault's Pendulum). I think I started it back in 2001.

Dense is an understatement. I'd consider burning it but I'm worried that it would continue to heat my house not just through the entire winter but for many summers and winters to come.

I never found translations particularly appealing. I was lucky enough to read Eco in Italian and in the "correct" cultural context. I have the same problem with English literature... when I read Dickens back in the days I thought he was mighty boring... translations are flat, plus the context of the dark and filthy Victorian cities was not something that meant anything to me, whilst surrounded by sun drenched vine growing hills

« Reply #606 on: 04 November, 2017, 01:01:43 pm »
Just looked at Strava and it appears that Steve has now done 54180 miles which I assume is from the date he re-started his record bid on 4th March.

« Reply #607 on: 04 November, 2017, 11:42:12 pm »
He posted on strava that the lurgy is getting worse.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #608 on: 09 November, 2017, 03:04:59 pm »
"..tetrapiloctomy.."  ???

I had to look that up in the OED, couldn't find it though. Can you give me a hint?   ::-)

Been there, done that:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tetrapiloctomy

Google's "Images" result for that is rather splendid.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #609 on: 24 November, 2017, 10:29:59 am »
100 days to go... 55,200 miles done*, meaning 20,876 miles to equal Searvogel and 19,865 miles to equal Godwin.

Steven's pace for the year so far is 208.3 miles/day. His pace for November so far is 203.1 miles/day, but 13 of the 23 days have been above the Searvogel pace.

(* includes mileage after midnight this morning)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #610 on: 24 November, 2017, 10:36:07 am »
Looking good :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #611 on: 04 December, 2017, 09:55:13 am »
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3268578/posts/840075
https://youtu.be/hhwt-OlyFYo 

A quick video update from Idai. Steve has had a hard few weeks. As ever Idai has given his some good advice

« Reply #612 on: 04 December, 2017, 08:27:04 pm »
Note from Steve's Facebook page. Seems he's been having health issues and will let us know more.

Steve Abraham
12 hrs ·
For anyone who saw the video from Sunday (and anyone else really), here is pretty much what I was saying.
Sorry for no video updates since July. I have tried a few times and they haven't worked out. I don't have time to edit, so I have to get straight through without too many mistakes or forgetting important stuff.
I've had a very hard few months and have discovered that I most likely have a condition that is restricting what I can do, which is partly why there haven't been any updates for a long time. That and traffic noise, opportunities to film etc. I won't go into my condition yet. That assumes that I do have it. However, what I am doing to solve my condition seems to be working very well. I have pretty much been setting myself further back every day since I set off in March, so have a lot of damage to undo. What I am doing seems to be working very well and I reckon I am about as bad now as I was in August. I made my discovery about a month ago and have been surprised at how much better I am feeling and how quickly I am improving, but I also realise how bad I got.
So, once I get myself in a better condition; the end of this week would be the earliest at a guess; I will take an "easy" week and catch up on my video updates since the Mersey Roads 24hr in July using my netbook at home (so no traffic noise and you get to see my ugly mug. Maybe put it under the Christmas tree to stop the kids opening the presents early :-)). There will be several updates for all the stuff I have gone through since my last update, some of which might have been very serious. I have probably been close to having to stop the attempt a few times. Once I have caught up with the story from July to the discovery of my condition I will do another update where I reveal all about my condition and try to explain how debilitating it is. It should also explain why I have been having such a hard time, especially in the last few months.
But for now, I am definitely feeling a lot better (even though I don't feel especially "good") and improving every day.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #613 on: 05 December, 2017, 02:42:29 pm »
Note from Steve's Facebook page. Seems he's been having health issues and will let us know more.

Steve Abraham
12 hrs ·
For anyone who saw the video from Sunday (and anyone else really), here is pretty much what I was saying.
Sorry for no video updates since July. I have tried a few times and they haven't worked out. I don't have time to edit, so I have to get straight through without too many mistakes or forgetting important stuff.
I've had a very hard few months and have discovered that I most likely have a condition that is restricting what I can do, which is partly why there haven't been any updates for a long time. That and traffic noise, opportunities to film etc. I won't go into my condition yet. That assumes that I do have it. However, what I am doing to solve my condition seems to be working very well. I have pretty much been setting myself further back every day since I set off in March, so have a lot of damage to undo. What I am doing seems to be working very well and I reckon I am about as bad now as I was in August. I made my discovery about a month ago and have been surprised at how much better I am feeling and how quickly I am improving, but I also realise how bad I got.
So, once I get myself in a better condition; the end of this week would be the earliest at a guess; I will take an "easy" week and catch up on my video updates since the Mersey Roads 24hr in July using my netbook at home (so no traffic noise and you get to see my ugly mug. Maybe put it under the Christmas tree to stop the kids opening the presents early :-)). There will be several updates for all the stuff I have gone through since my last update, some of which might have been very serious. I have probably been close to having to stop the attempt a few times. Once I have caught up with the story from July to the discovery of my condition I will do another update where I reveal all about my condition and try to explain how debilitating it is. It should also explain why I have been having such a hard time, especially in the last few months.
But for now, I am definitely feeling a lot better (even though I don't feel especially "good") and improving every day.

One would be tempted to think bradycardia, by looking at his Strava files

« Reply #614 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:04:30 pm »
Fuck.

"I was hit from behind by a car. Just a glancing blow, rather than a direct hit. Took the wing mirror clean off.
Worst of my injuries are in the photos taken about 20 hours later. Right hand side of my drop handlebars is now more like an extra tri-bar. Probably lucky I was on the tri-bars at the time. Not much more than superficial wounds really. Walking is uncomfortable, not in any pain if I am resting and I should be OK in 72 hours, according to the doctor. Been checked out and X-rayed and nothing broken.

So, I was hit and found myself lying at the roadside with my right leg tangled in bent up handlebars and in shock. I untangled myself and a passer by stopped and phoned the police. The person who hit me did stop.

Ended up waiting at the roadside for about an hour in freezing temperatures, covered in blankets and going into hypothermia. It got tough when my temperature went down to 34 degrees and it went as low as 33.

As I've had people here on Strava ask what my resting pulse is, it went down to 37bpm when I was in hospital and warmed up again. It gave the medic a fright until I told him I cycle about 200 miles a day. I even got a free sandwich :-)"

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #615 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:16:58 pm »
Oh, arse.  This is not good.  Poor Steve  :(
Milk please, no sugar.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #616 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:26:21 pm »
look after yourself Steve

« Reply #617 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:40:40 pm »
Bugger. He is ok that is the main thing.

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #618 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:56:39 pm »
Really bad luck. Time for another change of tactics? A few months in the sunshine State, miles on a circuit like Hillingdon, Stratford or even Hog Hill? Get well soon Steve.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #619 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:57:30 pm »
The good news is that his injuries barely qualify for the gore thread:

https://twitter.com/steve_abraham74/status/941421378078740486/photo/1

It does go to show that anything that leaves you sitting around at the roadside at this time of year is bad news, though.  Hopefully he'll be back on the bike and churning out the miles soon enough.  Looks like it's going to warm up a bit over the weekend too.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #620 on: 15 December, 2017, 12:01:45 am »
Shit!  Fuck! 
Best wishes Steve.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #621 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:09:14 am »
Steve's a tough and resilient bugger which is just as well really.

Hope that you are up and about soon Steve and feeling none the worse for your latest 'adventure'.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #622 on: 15 December, 2017, 07:17:57 am »
Gah what crappy luck!

Look after yourself Steve.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #623 on: 15 December, 2017, 08:29:35 am »
Bugger!

Heal quick Steve

« Reply #624 on: 15 December, 2017, 09:13:32 am »
He's posted on Twitter that he's going to try heading out today. Nowt on the tracker yet though.

Go Steve!