Author Topic: Bicycle component security  (Read 3545 times)

Bicycle component security
« on: 17 November, 2017, 12:43:27 pm »
A friend recently had his Brooks B66 and seatpin lifted whilst parked up in London.   His seat post was secured by allen head cap screw.   A number of us got to discussing this and what alternatives might be available.   We are considering amongst other options replacing the saddle and seat post securing screws with torx headed versions.   

We know that short of extreme measures nothing is secure but if thieves are carrying allen keys perhaps a torx would help to prevent a theft in a public place.     

Does the panel have any other suggestions, and, what other screws might you replace, and with what?   I was wondering about the security of my front light for instance.   

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
Re: Bicycle component security
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2017, 12:55:31 pm »
There are several different, so called, security type bolts out there eg. torx head with centre pin. The problem is, I guess, if someone sees a bike that's regularly parked up they will see what screw type is being used and up their toolbag accordingly? I have a very neat multi tool carousel that covers most screw types.

I did see a magnet based thingy a while ago, no experience of them though - http://www.lbk.org.uk/hexlox-security-bolts/

Gibbo.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2017, 01:03:54 pm »
A friend recently had his Brooks B66 and seatpin lifted whilst parked up in London.   His seat post was secured by allen head cap screw.   A number of us got to discussing this and what alternatives might be available.   We are considering amongst other options replacing the saddle and seat post securing screws with torx headed versions.   

We know that short of extreme measures nothing is secure but if thieves are carrying allen keys perhaps a torx would help to prevent a theft in a public place.     

Does the panel have any other suggestions, and, what other screws might you replace, and with what?   I was wondering about the security of my front light for instance.

I've gone for the pitlocks stuff for my bike. I have the seat post clamp, and am going to order the set for the dyno light when pay day arrives. Haven't yet worked out what to do about the saddle itself. I may go for their allen head insert bit thingies.

It's safe to assume that Torx, Hex, Philips, and Flat head are carried by every self respecting parts thief, ditto the secure versions. After all you can get a secure bit set on ebay for next to nothing. https://www.toolstation.nl/shop/p92461

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2017, 01:12:38 pm »
Hi Polar Bear. Personally I think that the current trend in bike and component related thefts are being carried out by individuals to order and they are very very selective in what they nick.
The savvy thieves are going equipped with a collection of the most usable folding tools (similar to a Swiss Army Knife) and cable cutters and very little is beyond their sticky fingers.
There is absolutely nothing new about whole bikes and components being nicked.
In the early seventies I had my 1937 Brilliant two day 19.5" Hetchins Curly Track-frame (H108) stolen in Liverpool from my place of work.  The bike was stripped of everything including the double crown forks and the naked frame ended-up in The Liverpool Cycle Exchange - it was such a conspicuous frame being a rather small size. I would have thought that it would have been trashed rather than hang it on the wall for all to see. 
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2017, 01:16:42 pm »
This seems to be mostly avoidable by  a) not using a Brooks  and  b) not leaving it locked up in London

If you really have to do both of those on a regular basis, then QR seatpost and take it with you would be the most secure approach.  What I do note is that leather saddles are easily identified by the presence of a carrier bag, shower cap or purpose-built waterproof cover.  That Tesco bag screams "Brooks!" from across the street.  I propose an alternative waterproofing strategy:  One of those ill-fitting saddle cushions of the type favoured by (chiefly female) muggles trying to avoid saddle pain.  Those say "nasty stock saddle".

Since moving to Birmingham (from London, with London-quality locks), I've become quite complacent about cycle security, simply because I tend to end up locking next to one or more bikes secured with poundshop-quality cable locks.  The main issue I come across is lack of anything sensible to lock to - particularly in the city centre - and I tend to solve that one with a Brompton.

As for component theft, I long ago decided that I'd lose fewer cycle computers and water bottles by leaving them on the bike than by bringing them with me for security and dropping/misplacing them.  I've never had a permanently-attached light stolen, though I do avoid leaving quick-release battery lights on the bike, because everyone likes a torch to play with, don't they?

Short of securing your bike inside a locker, you're never going to prevent someone really determined from stripping it for parts.  But that seems pretty rare.  Deter the opportunists, and be prepared to lose the whole bike eventually.

« Reply #5 on: 17 November, 2017, 01:17:35 pm »
The cheap and nasty option is to superglue a ball bearing into each allen head. You need to carry a small vial of acetone with you so you could remove the glue if you needed to adjust the bolt at any point.
Obviously won't stop a well prepared and very determined thief, but will certainly surprise them and leave them stumped enough not be be able to carry out the theft quickly. The hope is that they would move on to easier pickings.

« Reply #6 on: 17 November, 2017, 11:09:51 pm »
I did see a magnet based thingy a while ago, no experience of them though - http://www.lbk.org.uk/hexlox-security-bolts/
I use them (wheel skewers, seatpost, saddle & stem, plus the Edelux II).

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=104269.0

It all works as advertised, with the inserts coming out easily, provided you've pushed the key home firmly. The key is tiny, taking up no room on the keyring. There's virtually no weight penalty, since I lost the QR levers by way of recompense.
I can't really comment on the security - nobody's tried to pinch anything, as far as I know, but here isn't the most theft-prone part of the world.

It's the same idea as the superglued ball bearing really, but you don't need the bottle of acetone, which you would inevitably have left behind on the day you end up wanting it, and you can re-secure whatever it was afterwards without the need for a tube of non-dried out superglue.

« Reply #7 on: 18 November, 2017, 12:30:39 am »
The cheap and nasty option is to superglue a ball bearing into each allen head.
A variation of that is to use wooden beads rather than ball bearings, no need for glue, just get some slightly oversize and tap them in, they can be picked out with a bradawl, but it isn't obvious it's just a bit of wood. Same idea works well for cleat bolts.

« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2017, 09:00:23 am »
The cheap and nasty option is to superglue a ball bearing into each allen head.
A variation of that is to use wooden beads rather than ball bearings, no need for glue, just get some slightly oversize and tap them in, they can be picked out with a bradawl, but it isn't obvious it's just a bit of wood. Same idea works well for cleat bolts.
What would you use to get them out with?

« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2017, 10:13:25 am »
I like the idea of bunging up the hole and relate to that with cleat bolts blocked with little stones or heavily compressed general detritus.   

The Hexlok security looks brilliant but eye-wateringly expensive compared to old bearings, superglue and acetate.  What price peace of mind I guess.

I have found in my searches pin head hex and torx screws.  These look the most interesting imo as the best compromise.

« Reply #10 on: 18 November, 2017, 10:23:26 am »
If I lived somewhere with high bike theft (eg London) I'd just ride something with componentry that nobody would want to steal. Maybe an old Raleigh Twenty. Fixed.

Although that doesn't always work. When I lived in Cambridge, I only ever bought throw away BSOs as if the whole bike didn't get nicked (several times) some arsehole will nick something off it.

I never leave a bike out of my sight these days.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #11 on: 18 November, 2017, 11:27:47 am »
... I propose an alternative waterproofing strategy:  One of those ill-fitting saddle cushions of the type favoured by (chiefly female) muggles trying to avoid saddle pain.  Those say "nasty stock saddle".

Brilliant.

The main issue I come across is lack of anything sensible to lock to - particularly in the city centre - and I tend to solve that one with a Brompton.

You'll only lock your bike to a Brompton?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 18 November, 2017, 12:05:19 pm »
Pitlock and Pinhead are the obvious answers. I'd say they're more secure, more key variations and cheaper (I got a whole bike set: front and rear wheels, seat clamp, £25) than those hexlox things. Leave any bike on the street long enough and it will get stripped, even if it is a Raleigh Twenty; it's not just Brooks saddles! However, it might be only Brooks saddles in London that are at risk of getting stolen in the day.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 18 November, 2017, 01:00:53 pm »
When a 20 year old M737 XT rear mech is £35 on eBay, you can see the incentive for the scrotes; that's more than a whole BSO would sell for.

Disguise is another strategy - paint over all the brand names with an easily-removable paint.  Depends how much you want to ride a scuzzy-looking bike, though.

I worry about what percentage of my bikes, largely assembled from eBay parts, is hot.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #14 on: 18 November, 2017, 01:08:48 pm »
When I lived and worked in Northampton I used to ride a fairly basic road bike to and from work.   One got nicked from the secure area at my very large and well known credit card employer.  I bought a second and that too got lifted.   Ironically my employers were replacing it on my insurance from them.

I bought a real tatty looking road bike secondhand from a local bike shop.   A couple of weeks later and guess what ...

That's when I bought a Kryptonite New York D lock.

« Reply #15 on: 18 November, 2017, 01:55:35 pm »
Pitlock and Pinhead are the obvious answers. I'd say they're more secure, more key variations and cheaper (I got a whole bike set: front and rear wheels, seat clamp, £25)
From which company?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 18 November, 2017, 03:00:43 pm »
Bought it from LBS a few years ago. It's a Pinhead set.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 18 November, 2017, 04:49:31 pm »
When a 20 year old M737 XT rear mech is £35 on eBay, you can see the incentive for the scrotes; that's more than a whole BSO would sell for.

Hardly a surprise given that half the kit now is incompatible with anything from even just a few years back. Meaning that if you've got an otherwise serviceable 15 year old bike, the chances of getting parts that work with it brand new from the likes of wiggle or evans is low.

Grumble grumble argh...

Disguise is another strategy - paint over all the brand names with an easily-removable paint.  Depends how much you want to ride a scuzzy-looking bike, though.

I worry about what percentage of my bikes, largely assembled from eBay parts, is hot.

I hate that this is a viable strategy. I don't want to ride round on a piece of junk :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 18 November, 2017, 05:20:47 pm »
I don't think it actually is a viable strategy. It might stop your bike being specifically targeted (though knowledgeable, steal to order, crims will probably recognize it anyway) but any BSO left unattended in the wrong place for long enough – and it needn't be that long – will be stripped.

« Reply #19 on: 18 November, 2017, 09:43:18 pm »
I had visions of you getting the cleats stolen off your feet while you sat in a cafe or something...

« Reply #20 on: 18 November, 2017, 10:27:14 pm »
I had visions of you getting the cleats stolen off your feet while you sat in a cafe or something...
I've been in that cafe...