Author Topic: Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE  (Read 172404 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE
« Reply #75 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:12:02 pm »
Reminder to everyone:

To keep enlarging this database we need COMPARISONS.
If you tell me that tyre A on rim X was a right bastard or that even your 86 year old granny could install tyre B on rim Y without levers I have no way of placing either Tyre or Rim in the ranking, and your post will be ignored.
The ideal information is in the format:   For a given rim X, tyre A was a lot/slightly harder to fit than tyre B
or Tyre A was easier to fit on rim X than it was on rim Y
Or - if you think the order of the existing items is wrong... tell me and I will move stuff up or down.

I will be moving some other messages to another thread.

Is this list no longer updated? I've reported a couple of additional rims which haven't been added, & reported on tyres.

The OP has added your latest info.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #76 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:22:52 pm »
Indeed. Thanks for pointing it out, Biggsy, & thanks for doing it, Somnolent.

One small addition - Mavic Open Sport. I find this about the same as Mavic Open Pro. Tried it with the same tyres. If I had to choose between them, I'd put it slightly easier, but any difference is small enough that I'm not sure about that.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #77 on: 17 September, 2015, 06:04:23 pm »
The bulk of the messages that Somnolent can't use for the list now moved to: Difficulty in installing tyres? Chat

Please post there when not mentioning direct comparisons for the list.

« Reply #78 on: 18 September, 2015, 09:39:52 am »
One small addition - Mavic Open Sport. I find this about the same as Mavic Open Pro. Tried it with the same tyres. If I had to choose between them, I'd put it slightly easier, but any difference is small enough that I'm not sure about that.

Open Sport added.
I'm not going to stress about the exact position in the list.

« Reply #79 on: 15 October, 2015, 07:17:26 pm »
Add to / agree with your rankings:

Exal XR2 with Conti Grand Sport, very difficult indeed could just after much effort get tyre onto rim without levers but a swine to do; two tyre levers required to get tyre off rim

By comparison Open Pro a doodle fit Conti Grand Sport / 4000SII / Vittoria Open Pave 24 , 27  all went on easily and can be removed without tyre levers
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Samuel D

« Reply #80 on: 16 October, 2015, 10:41:08 am »
I found a 23 mm Michelin Pro4 Grip V2 considerably harder than a 25 mm Schwalbe One to fit on an Exal XR2 rim. The Michelin was downright hard to fit.

The original Michelin Pro4 Grip and the V2 version were of equal difficulty (hard!).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #81 on: 03 December, 2015, 06:16:17 pm »
Ba$tard GP 4 seasons

Need to be at the top of the list. Always difficult, but I know have a blistered thumb from last nights efforts on exal lx 17 rims :demon:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Samuel D

« Reply #82 on: 01 February, 2016, 07:40:46 pm »
Michelin Pro4 Grip V2 on Exal XR2 rim is tighter than a duck’s you-know-what. Nearly peeled my fingers getting them on this time (after a puncture).

« Reply #83 on: 11 March, 2016, 08:15:05 pm »
With XR2 rims

Schwalbe Lugano 25 mm wire bead was fine little tight to fit two levers remove

Open Pave 27mm similar to above

Conti Grand Sport 25 mm very tight lot force to fit hard remove 2 levers

Conti GS 25mm Extra abandoned trying to fit

....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #84 on: 14 March, 2016, 08:34:53 pm »
I would rank the Campag Shamal as easier to fit than Fulcrums.  Maybe it was just the set of fulcrum rims I had, but I spent a merry morning in Pedal On in Tadley trying to find any tyres that would fit without a major burst of Tourettes.  And that was in the warm and dry and not halfway up Birdlip Hill at 1am with it starting to rain.  Of the Conti tyres i find the Conti Triathlons reasonably amenable- better than the other Conti tyres, and slightly better (on the same Campag rims as Bontrager Hardcases.

The Bontrager Hardcase 28s are marginally easier than the 25s.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #85 on: 11 May, 2016, 12:25:09 pm »
Mitchelin Pro4 endurance (700x23) the hardest one to date for me!  :demon:  Had to leave them for 24 hours stretched 3/4 on the rim and next day I could fit them with some effort on a shimano ultegra wheel.

schwalbe mondial evo (700x40) non beaded tyre, easier ever  :thumbsup:  Really easy indeed. On a specialized factory wheel (alloy disc double wall 32 spoke holes)

I have "soft" hands and not a great bike mechanic, just to put it in context.
What? Turn left that way?

« Reply #86 on: 03 July, 2016, 09:44:10 am »
On Hunt 4 Season Disc Rims:

Hutchinson Sector 28s were impossible to (re-)fit, even with CO2.

Schwalbe Pro One went on using a cheap track pump first time without messing around with soap and water or any sealant-on-the-bead tricks.

« Reply #87 on: 27 August, 2016, 10:29:07 pm »
On DT Swiss RR440 rims: I found Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 substantially easier to fit than Continental GP 4 Seasons.

I also thing that the GP 4 Seasons were marginally easier than Continental Gatorskins (but it's a while since I had the Gatorskins, so I may be misremembering).

« Reply #88 on: 30 August, 2016, 08:52:25 pm »
i use vittoria exclusively.

rubino pro: easy enough with both shimano rs11/561 wheelsets, and campag vento reaction wheelset
rubino: not too bad with shimano 561 wheelset, but could be awkward with others, including cod alex rims and cheapo vuelta zerolite
rubino slick: bought as a budget buy, were an absolute bitch on the 365 wheelset, never again

i've also removed some michelin l-ion 2s easily enough from the campag wheelset; and one was once used in an emergency at the roadside (i carry them as spares on the commute), which was easy enough to stick on the shimano rs11…
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #89 on: 01 November, 2016, 12:44:58 am »
Schwalbe S-One tubeless vs Novatec 30 wheels
2 levers off
Thumbs on

I was pleasantly surprised.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #90 on: 07 February, 2017, 07:46:09 am »
By far my worst experience is the  700c 28mm Continental SuperSport Plus Road Tyre (basically a slick Marathon Plus) on an Excal LX 17 rim. I gave up on that combo after puncturing 4 tubes.

Still hard but doable (ie with levers and no punctures): Continental SuperSport Plus on a Mavic Open Sport rim.
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #91 on: 07 May, 2017, 10:47:31 am »

CONTINENTAL GATORSKINS onto OPEN PRO rims.

Harder than Marathon Pluses onto one of Spa Cycles touring wheels

And not something I'd want to do, roadside.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #92 on: 07 May, 2017, 11:18:26 am »
Dear all, this topic is for rankings only - direct comparisons with the same rims or tyres.  Please delete anything else you've posted here and, if you like, copy it to Difficulty in installing tyres? Chat.  Otherwise the OP loses the will to maintain the table.

« Reply #93 on: 29 May, 2017, 11:02:11 am »
I can't rate them per se other than say 'bloody impossible to get them off' but 25mm steel-beaded Gatorskins on a Mavic MA40 required a tyrejack to get them on and, when I broke the same trying to get them off and no amount of tyre levers (plastic and metal) were ever going to work, I resorted to a pair cutters and a Stanley knife to cut the b@stards off - I'll never touch them again.
Panaracer Pasela's (25 and 28mm) work like a charm and can be put on by hand and without levers and only require one to remove them.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #94 on: 10 June, 2017, 08:34:15 pm »
Schwalbe Marathon Racer on DRC ST19 - very easy indeed, pull off without tyre levers.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #95 on: 10 June, 2017, 08:52:25 pm »
Rigida Flyer/Conti Ultra Sport. Absolute bastard!

Hands still hurting 4 hours later...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #96 on: 10 June, 2017, 09:01:57 pm »
Schwalbe Durano plus 700c x 25:

Folding version onto Rigida Chrina was easy.

Wired version onto Open Pro was even easier.    :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #97 on: 27 July, 2017, 11:26:59 pm »
Marathon Plus / Brompton. Utter bastards. I likened it to childbirth. Julian OTP, who has first hand experience of the latter, asked me whether I spent 14 hours putting the said tyres on using only my testicles. Of course, I relied in the affirmative.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #98 on: 27 July, 2017, 11:59:00 pm »
Maybe try some tyre levers next time, then?

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #99 on: 28 April, 2018, 03:55:35 pm »
On Kinlin xc-279 700c rim Michelin Pro 4 Service Course were a *lot* easier than Connti GP 4 seasons and also easier than GP 4000 (earlier version). Given these latter 2 are not difficult that should give an idea of how easily the Michelins went on!