Author Topic: What grease for bolts and nuts?  (Read 16911 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
What grease for bolts and nuts?
« on: 02 September, 2011, 05:24:37 pm »
I'm sure I remember some arguments for and against using grease with metal additives (copper or molybdenum ?) to put on the threads of crank and pedal bolts and the like in order to stop them seizing. What do people say or know about this?

And while I'm here, why is the left pedal always so much harder to remove than the right one? Yes, I do remember it's a left-hand thread.

Thanks
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: What grease for bolts and nuts?
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2011, 05:27:11 pm »
Castrol LM.
Generally.
Some stuff prefers Copaslip.
Here we go.
AKA Helmet debate.....

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #2 on: 02 September, 2011, 05:32:25 pm »
I've always used copper grease on the threads when assembling pedals etc. Never had anything come undone when it shouldn't have, never had anything seize. Castrol LM is more of a water repellant grease for bearings and the like.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 02 September, 2011, 05:43:28 pm »
Any grease will do for a certain time.  It may eventually disperse or dry up.

Anti-seize grease works practically for ever because its relatively large flakes of meal (compared with any additives in normal grease) stay in place, then help the parts slide apart when it comes to disassembly.

Copper anti-seize prevents rather than causes galvanic corrosion between any combination of steel, aluminium and titanium, in my experince.  It's messy to handle though, and permanently stains clothes.  I use ordinary Velox or Finish Line Premium grease for most things that get serviced regularly.

Copaslip is a brand name.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2011, 06:01:26 pm »
I bought a tube of Teflon grease some years ago because it was what they had in the LBS and I didn't know any better. I don't know what its merits are compared to other types of grease but it's been fine for me. I've almost finished the tube, so I might need to give this matter some consideration soon.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »
I've got a tub of Shimano assembly grease, bought it about 7 or 8 years ago and it will last me another 100 years I reckon.  Works very well and the pot I've got has a applicator brush built into the lid so its easy to use.  It's effective too, I've never had anything I've assembled with it seize.

« Reply #6 on: 02 September, 2011, 08:14:06 pm »
Park anti-seize compound here.  It's Al based to avoid that troublesome galvanic corrosion....  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 02 September, 2011, 09:21:27 pm »
Been using Vaseline on all my bikes for over 30 years and it works a treat. No problems to date.

On the subject of Heresy, all have insulating tape on the rims.

« Reply #8 on: 02 September, 2011, 09:37:25 pm »
Copper grease or Finish Line Ceramic grease

« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2011, 02:38:22 pm »
Any grease will do for a certain time.  It may eventually disperse or dry up.

Anti-seize grease works practically for ever because its relatively large flakes of meal (compared with any additives in normal grease) stay in place, then help the parts slide apart when it comes to disassembly.

Copper anti-seize prevents rather than causes galvanic corrosion between any combination of steel, aluminium and titanium, in my experince.  It's messy to handle though, and permanently stains clothes.  I use ordinary Velox or Finish Line Premium grease for most things that get serviced regularly.

Copaslip is a brand name.

+1

I used to use just grease and had lots of trouble with things seizing up. Then I bought some Finish Line assembly grease (Coppaslip, Neverseize or whatever, it's all about the same) and have never had any trouble ever since, except for a quill stem in particular, but that's just one which was in a bad way anyway. I don't have anything come loose and I don't go round using gorilla strength to tighten bolts up.
I'd never use "just grease" again. My £5 pot of assembly grease will probably last much longer than I will. And yes, it's very messy, you have to keep it under control!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2011, 10:06:31 pm »
Thanks for all the answers.
Here we go.
AKA Helmet debate.....
Oh dear. What have I done?

I bought a tube of Teflon grease some years ago because it was what they had in the LBS and I didn't know any better. I don't know what its merits are compared to other types of grease but it's been fine for me. I've almost finished the tube, so I might need to give this matter some consideration soon.

d.

That's more or less what I did in the end, as I've been internet-less over the weekend anyway so couldn't read all your wonderful advice. I ended up with Silkolene Pro RG2 Synthetic Racing Grease, which they claimed in LBS is what they use in the workshop, though the blurb makes it sound as if it's intended for motor vehicles - it's "heat resistant". And I'm not racing!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #11 on: 06 September, 2011, 03:04:54 am »
No one mentioned waterproof grease

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 06 September, 2011, 09:07:49 am »
Most greases are fairly waterproof, even when not marketed as "waterproof".  Same with anti-seize.  There's usually not enough space for water to get into the bolt/nut interface anyway.

Waterproof grease is more important to use in bearings because the movement of the bearings can emulsify grease that isn't waterproof when water gets in.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #13 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:12:31 am »
Its sad that I know this (i think) but most greases aren't (moisture) waterproof due to the base material being lithium soap what you want is a calcium soap base to not suffer from the effects of moisture.  Then there are the other stuff in there.

« Reply #14 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:16:55 am »
Usain he need no grease - he too slippy already

« Reply #15 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:31:04 am »
I found a supremely messy black grease that's intended for protecting and lubricating mechanical parts exposed to the elements. Very soft and extremely clingy, so ideally suited to slow-moving mechanicals. It does a superb job and is very long-lasting, but you do have to spend some time cleaning everything after application and assembly.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:40:10 am »
I got a tub of "marine grease" for super-heavy-duty, but have hardly bothered to use it yet.  Oil was separating from it in storage - not a good sign.  You want the oil to stay in the soap.  That happened with some Weldtite grease as well.

The best grease, I think, (mainly for bearings, but for anything else too) is Campag's.  It's stupidly expensive to buy on its own though.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #17 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:42:41 am »
Its sad that I know this (i think) but most greases aren't (moisture) waterproof due to the base material being lithium soap what you want is a calcium soap base to not suffer from the effects of moisture.  Then there are the other stuff in there.

Is lithium grease the most common type though?  I didn't think so, but I could be wrong.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:50:53 am »
Lithium-based greases are cheap and common.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #19 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:56:06 am »
I got a tub of "marine grease" for super-heavy-duty, but have hardly bothered to use it yet.  Oil was separating from it in storage - not a good sign.  You want the oil to stay in the soap.  That happened with some Weldtite grease as well.

The best grease, I think, (mainly for bearings, but for anything else too) is Campag's.  It's stupidly expensive to buy on its own though.

How old was it? Brand Just being nosey?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #20 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:57:56 am »

How could I forget silicone ;)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #21 on: 06 September, 2011, 11:03:04 am »
How old was it? Brand Just being nosey?

Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty.  I noticed the oil separation after I had it for about a year.  Don't know how long it had been on the shelf before I bought it.

I suppose it doesn't matter if some oil separates if still enough oil remains in the rest of the grease - but I wouldn't know that, especially once the grease is on the bike part rather than in the tub.