Author Topic: Back to the future  (Read 3460 times)

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
Back to the future
« on: 28 February, 2017, 08:05:11 am »
For those of us who still mourn the demise of Psion http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/28/inside_the_new_psion_gemini/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Back to the future
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2017, 08:35:38 am »
Running Android in a 4 Gb RAM is kinda cramped, unless they can shunt apps out onto the SD card, something the 6.0.1 version on my Moto G does not allow.

ETA: and stop Google bloatware getting in in the first place.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2017, 09:42:14 am »
I loved my Psion 3MX. I probably still have it around the place somewhere.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2017, 10:42:52 am »
Confession time  ::-) I still have a Psion2, 3a, 3MX, 5, 2x5MX & 7 upgraded to netbook, together with a pile of SSDs, software and hardware add ons. I was a bit of a fanboy  ;D
Edit: and all in working order  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2017, 11:32:38 am »
Running Android in a 4 Gb RAM is kinda cramped, unless they can shunt apps out onto the SD card, something the 6.0.1 version on my Moto G does not allow.

You're confusing memory and storage:  4GB is loads of RAM in Android terms (MotoG has 1GB), and this will have 64GB of internal flash.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2017, 11:37:33 am »
I loved my Psion 3MX. I probably still have it around the place somewhere.

I have my 5MX-with-screen-flatflex-mod mothballed for times of need.  I booted it up the other week, and it still works fine, though the screen backlight is disappointing in modern terms.

« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2017, 12:27:27 pm »
The device will dual boot Linux and Android

That alone will pull quite a lot of interest. It has a high spec.

With a USB C - HDMI adapter to drive an external monitor, plug in an external keyboard mouse, you have a capable linux box that is also an in-your-pocket portable.

Yup, I expect there will be interest from a niche market.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2017, 01:03:00 pm »

You're confusing memory and storage:  4GB is loads of RAM in Android terms (MotoG has 1GB), and this will have 64GB of internal flash.

Yes, you're right: I hadn't bothered to check the internals.  64 Gb flash is what the Moto needs: its  8Gb is roughly half OS and a quarter Google & Motorola bloatware. Not much room left to play.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2017, 01:22:48 pm »

Me for one. Especially if it supports a USB to serial adaptor. Would be nice if I didn't have to drag the laptop of doom into a data-centre just to give a router or switch an IP address so I could manage it remotely.
I have a Psion 5MX in the loft somewhere along with a serial cable. Moving stuff on and off it just got too painful to keep using it (no Ethernet or WiFi NIC).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2017, 01:25:24 pm »

Me for one. Especially if it supports a USB to serial adaptor. Would be nice if I didn't have to drag the laptop of doom into a data-centre just to give a router or switch an IP address so I could manage it remotely.

My thoughts exactly.  A neat little Linux box with serial and Ethernet dongles makes an excellent notwork-troubleshooting kit.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2017, 02:08:09 pm »
And would be very useful if you want to do proper typing. ie for email, or blogging, or anything else.
The Psion keyboard is much better than typing on any sort of touchscreen.

Shame it won't have the month long battery life of a Psion.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2017, 02:19:15 pm »
And would be very useful if you want to do proper typing. ie for email, or blogging, or anything else.
The Psion keyboard is much better than typing on any sort of touchscreen.

Absolutely.  A tablet with a decent keyboard case is a reasonable substitute for many of those uses, but the great advantage to the Psion form-factor was that you could use it to type properly without a solid surface to rest it on - great for taking notes in the field, or to use while travelling.

Shame it won't have the month long battery life of a Psion.

When I was a Penniless Student Oaf, I used my 5MX for taking notes.  It ran on NiMHs (and occasionally partially-depleted Procells that a housemate brought home[1]), and due to heavy use of backlight in lecture theatres the actual battery life was comparable to that of a modern device.  It would run for ages without the backlight, though.

The real advantage was that if it ran out you could just swap in a new set of AAs, eTrex-style.  That's less of an advantage these days, as we now have a standard way of charging mobile devices.

[1] He worked for a company providing data collection devices for clinical trials, and they were sent out with fresh batteries.

ian

« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2017, 02:35:05 pm »
Oh you dead-tech huggers. The average fourteen-year-old could type War and Peace on a touchscreen in under a minute. They got fingers like agitated spiders on LSD. Obvs they can't be bothered, but like, you know, they could. Of course, it'll all be about how the Empress Fedorovna defriended Vasili on Facebook. Shame.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2017, 03:00:32 pm »
The cutting-edge 14yo these days is reading paperbacks and listening to "vinyls".
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #14 on: 28 February, 2017, 04:44:21 pm »
I still have the folding keyboard for my palm pilot. Can't bring myself to chuck it. Showed it to someone at work and was challenged to molish the output to a bluetooth adapter. Maybe someday.

Still, I think this new device might, just might fly. It's a super-compact (much, much more compact than any tablet) device, that seems to offer a usable keyboard and reasonable processing power together with the advantages of most modern tablets.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 28 February, 2017, 04:49:51 pm »
The cutting-edge 14yo these days is reading paperbacks and listening to "vinyls".
I noticed, in a shop window on our 'high street' the other day, vinyl players with Bluetooth. I can't remember now if they were in Maplins, the headphone shop, or the skateboard-drug paraphernalia-hipster barbershop; they're all pretty much next to each other.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 28 February, 2017, 04:51:31 pm »
I noticed, in a shop window on our 'high street' the other day, vinyl players with Bluetooth. I can't remember now if they were in Maplins, the headphone shop, or the skateboard-drug paraphernalia-hipster barbershop; they're all pretty much next to each other.

A logical upgrade path to the old USB ones...  :)

ian

« Reply #17 on: 28 February, 2017, 05:26:57 pm »
I still have the folding keyboard for my palm pilot. Can't bring myself to chuck it. Showed it to someone at work and was challenged to molish the output to a bluetooth adapter. Maybe someday.

Still, I think this new device might, just might fly. It's a super-compact (much, much more compact than any tablet) device, that seems to offer a usable keyboard and reasonable processing power together with the advantages of most modern tablets.

I have several Palms and a keyboard somewhere in the cupboard of technology that time forgot. Wasn't the keyboard IR?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 28 February, 2017, 06:02:45 pm »

I have several palms
You're either a Hindu deity or on a tropical island. Or Torquay.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #19 on: 28 February, 2017, 06:34:01 pm »

So do I. But you can buy the updated versions of those keyboards, with bluetooth built in, fairly cheaply nowadays.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #20 on: 28 February, 2017, 07:56:38 pm »

So do I. But you can buy the updated versions of those keyboards, with bluetooth built in, fairly cheaply nowadays.
I had the Belkin keyboard - very rigid, really good feel. It was much better for typing than most of the others on the market. Not seen any comparable bluetooth keyboard.

It connected via the data port on the palm pilot and held the palm pilot up at a convenient angle. Powered by the pilot itself rather than internal batteries.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #21 on: 01 March, 2017, 01:18:07 am »
I don't get it, why not just get a keyboard case for your phone?

PS - I too had a PSION which I loved.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #22 on: 01 March, 2017, 08:14:03 am »

I have a Psion 5MX in the loft somewhere along with a serial cable. Moving stuff on and off it just got too painful to keep using it (no Ethernet or WiFi NIC).

Why not a bluetooth to serial adapter you can plug in to the switch and then you can access wirelessly through a BT connection? Should be a short amount of tinkering with a pi Zero W if it doesn't already exist.

ETA: Of course it already exists.. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7694150/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Computing_And_Peripherals-_-Networking_And_Connectivity&mkwid=skdyWRPcD_dc|pcrid|88057059003|pkw||pmt||prd|7694150&gclid=CjwKEAiA_9nFBRCsurz7y_Px8xoSJAAUqvKCVO39v565jOzvBQSjw2qnqHzqCXZ1IG-nezaUvjVs2hoC1gTw_wcB
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #23 on: 01 March, 2017, 08:23:20 am »
I don't get it, why not just get a keyboard case for your phone?

PS - I too had a PSION which I loved.
Because compared to the belkin keyboard they suck.
The belkin keyboard was bigger than most sub-notebook keyboards and with better feel, but folded up to A5 size (quite thick, mind you).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #24 on: 01 March, 2017, 08:28:14 am »
Now there is something to try - using my phone with a pair of VR goggles and a BT folding keyboard for travel. Hmm.. under a tenner for a BT keyboard with mouse pad, and I have some not very good (you can't get to the buttons) VR goggles.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes