Author Topic: June is Bustin' Out All Over!  (Read 2411 times)

clarion

• Tyke
June is Bustin' Out All Over!
« on: 29 June, 2009, 08:30:20 pm »
Well, it's June, and, about 600m into a ride, this happened to Superstoker's wheel :o

Pretty ribbons of aluminium...

Getting there...

border-rider

Re: June is Bustin' Out All Over!
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2009, 08:35:00 pm »
Hope it was a back wheel, and he's OK...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2009, 08:51:24 pm »
Actually, it was a front, but we weren't travelling awfully fast at the time.  He stopped immediately and in a straight line - no panic or anything - and waited for me to inspect. We thought it might have been an old tyre giving up, but I was astonished to see the remodelling.  It hasn't put him off.  In fact, now we've looked out spares, he's happy with some fancier wheels and some Bontrager tyres which were to be spares for Butterfly's carbon fibre loveliness.  I need to sort out a cassette to fit and some new brake blocks now.
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:02:54 pm »
It shouldn't do that after only 600 miles :o

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:09:58 pm »
I opened this thread not expecting a picture of a borked wheel...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:20:47 pm »
Does it have one of those groove wear indicators round the braking surface?  They always look like an accident waiting to happen, since they provide the perfect place for the rim to fold outwards.  Some people also find that the brake pads wear to take on the shape of the groove, so they grind away at the thinnest part just as much as the normal braking surface.

That rim needs to be sent back to the retailer or manufacturer to see what they think of it.  It could have been much worse.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:43:11 pm »

metres, tha daft un!  We passed the eighteenth century long ago and can use Sensible Units ;D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:43:32 pm »
I opened this thread not expecting a picture of a borked wheel...

I feared this was a risk. ;)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:44:38 pm »
Does it have one of those groove wear indicators round the braking surface?  They always look like an accident waiting to happen, since they provide the perfect place for the rim to fold outwards.  Some people also find that the brake pads wear to take on the shape of the groove, so they grind away at the thinnest part just as much as the normal braking surface.

That rim needs to be sent back to the retailer or manufacturer to see what they think of it.  It could have been much worse.

An interesting point, and I'm wary of such markers too.  But this rim has seen some service, so I think it's a fair fail.
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2009, 10:13:11 pm »

metres, tha daft un! 

that's even less reliability :demon:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2009, 07:36:10 am »
That looks like the one from my old bike  :-[
If it was it was on there from new and had probably seen 20000miles+ in all weathers
Glad SS wasn't hurt when it went bang.

Rich.

« Reply #11 on: 30 June, 2009, 03:03:39 pm »
Apparently he was impressively cool :D. I said I wouldn't have been so calm if it had gone when I did a run up the road on it! :o  :-[
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.