Author Topic: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill  (Read 133932 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill
« Reply #25 on: 15 September, 2013, 11:49:06 am »
The quick brown fox just ran through my garden like it was being chased.

Foxes usually amble slowly around suburbia. This one ran but took a familiar path through the hole in the fence between the gardens.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #26 on: 15 October, 2013, 02:23:44 pm »
The pregnant panda at Edinburgh zoo has miscarried, and the new tiger cub at London zoo has drownded.  :'(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 16 October, 2013, 09:16:57 pm »
The pregnant panda at Edinburgh zoo has miscarried, and the new tiger cub at London zoo has drownded.  :'(

Pattern for you, EG- http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/oct/15/tian-tian-edinburgh-knit-your-own-panda-pattern
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #28 on: 22 October, 2013, 01:02:18 am »
Aww.  Don't you love it when kitteh does that prancing charge at you across the room, completly sideways?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #29 on: 31 October, 2013, 01:18:41 pm »
Well, ickle kitteh (who has been going under various names - Beryl, Susie, Myfanwi) went to the vet yesterday for her jabs.

We're going to need a new name for him:facepalm:

To be honest, I simply assumed the woman we got her off knew what she was talking about, so I never really checked.

Favourite for the new name so far is Dave.

Ruth

« Reply #30 on: 01 November, 2013, 07:48:50 pm »
I think you should call him 'Thingy'.  It came to me in a dream Basil.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #31 on: 01 November, 2013, 10:41:08 pm »
Thingy?  Hmm.
No, Ruthie.  That's a bit too close to it sounding like something that is <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NtgFKdWcKXY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/NtgFKdWcKXY&rel=1</a>.

We've decided on Dafydd, to be known as Daf. 
(In case you're not sure of Welsh pronunciation, think "Dav".)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 08 November, 2013, 11:16:56 pm »
This morning, whilst returning from the park, we were forced to stop for quite a long time while Morphy gazed at the carved pumpkins with smiley faces outside someone's door and wagged at them incessantly. I think he just though "happy face" and had to respond. I don't think he's ever seen a pumpkin before.

Why the pumpkins were still there on 8th November is a bit of a mystery though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #33 on: 09 November, 2013, 09:34:06 am »
This morning, whilst returning from the park, we were forced to stop for quite a long time while Morphy gazed at the carved pumpkins with smiley faces outside someone's door and wagged at them incessantly. I think he just though "happy face" and had to respond. I don't think he's ever seen a pumpkin before.
Tilley wagged her tail outside the local pumpkin-adorned house, too, and did her I-want-to-play gesture, throwing her forelegs in the air. I think she liked the smell.

« Reply #34 on: 09 November, 2013, 07:17:40 pm »
my daughters tarantula has been behaving rather oddly for the last few weeks, today we had a text from said daughter saying she (the spider) was dead, half an hour later another text to say she was shedding. so she is now bigger and a fantastic pearlescent blue, she has to be left now until she decides the time is right to rejoin us, she's flat on her back at the moment with her legs in the air, pictures to follow.

« Reply #35 on: 15 November, 2013, 05:52:46 pm »

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #36 on: 22 November, 2013, 01:17:11 pm »
If he's still there when I get home I might let him in for a while so he can see there's nothing for him, and then kick him out again.

Are you *sure* that's good cat psychology?  ;)

Letting him in at all is *progress*.  Although there'll be nothing this time, there might be next time. Or the time after that. Or the time after that.   Prrrrrrrrr.
He was back today, for the first time in months. I let him in. He's remarkably nosey - he even jumped up on the tv table, and stood on his hind legs to peer behind the tv. He's had a good prowl round, and rubbed himself over every surface, including the bath  ???  and now he's looking out of the window. Now I have to persuade him to leave.  ;D

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #37 on: 22 November, 2013, 01:46:54 pm »
Just scoop him up and carry him outside, unless he's like our Baggins when he decides to be uncatchable, letting you get within a few millimetres of him before he runs off to repeat the exercise until you give up.  I think he's got himself a human....
Wombat

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #38 on: 22 November, 2013, 02:19:18 pm »
I ushered him out of the flat but couldn't persuade him to leave the stair - he just sat on Beatrice's doormat and glowered again. I'm not keeping him. He has a home further down the street, and if I wanted a cat, I'd get one from the SSPCA rather than steal one from a neighbour! But if he wants to come in and rub mouse-repeller all over the flat every now and then, he's very welcome. He's quite a dude.

« Reply #39 on: 22 November, 2013, 09:15:34 pm »
I belive the Americans have an animal called a bob(b)cat?  Think it's a lynx, though.  I'm trying to work de-oderant into this but I'll just leave it there!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:12:10 pm »
There's a cat under my chair making walrus noises.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #41 on: 04 December, 2013, 01:45:21 pm »
I've just found two small tortoiseshell butterflies in my office. Well, one ex-butterfly and one wanting out through the window.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #42 on: 04 December, 2013, 02:48:05 pm »
I belive the Americans have an animal called a bob(b)cat?  Think it's a lynx, though.  I'm trying to work de-oderant into this but I'll just leave it there!

Is that something for keeping German rivers at bay?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #43 on: 04 December, 2013, 10:20:53 pm »
The man in the flat next door to me died and there are workmen renovating the flat before it's re-let, so the main door is open quite a lot through the day just now, which means Harry can get in. He followed me up the stairs on Monday, shot in as soon as I opened my own door, and ran into my bedroom and hid under the bed.  ;D He eventually came out, climbed onto the kitchen worktop, meowed his annoyance at not being able to jump up to the top of the wall units, jumped down, sat in the fireplace for a minute, then sat on the sofa and had a little snooze. He didn't much like it when I put him out. Haven't seen him since.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #44 on: 17 December, 2013, 01:10:36 pm »
I have a dilemma. I came home for lunch, Harry was in the stair, he shot into my flat when I opened the door, and now I have to decide whether to leave him here all afternoon, hoping he will destroy the mice, or whether I should put him out. NB putting him out will require waking him up as the cheeky bugger is fast asleep on a folder.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #45 on: 17 December, 2013, 01:14:18 pm »
I have a dilemma. I came home for lunch, Harry was in the stair, he shot into my flat when I opened the door, and now I have to decide whether to leave him here all afternoon, hoping he will destroy the mice, or whether I should put him out. NB putting him out will require waking him up as the cheeky bugger is fast asleep on a folder.

Leave him in.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #46 on: 17 December, 2013, 04:08:13 pm »
I did. I am hoping that he hasn't pissed anywhere, and that he has massacred the mice and tidied the bodies into the bin.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #47 on: 26 December, 2013, 09:37:14 pm »
I am neither a dog person nor a cat person, really, what with being massively allergic (in the streaming eyes, itchy skin, sneezing and runny nose sort of way) to either - although I generally quite like other people's moggies and mutts, so long as the latter aren't in the distinctly-not-my-favourite 'dogs below the knee' category.

I spent a fair bit of yesterday and today at my mam's place.  Where there is a resident somewhat bonkers labrador/jack russell cross who was brain damaged as a puppy and is, as a consequence, Really Quite High Maintenance but I kind of like her anyway.  My sister not otp to whom said bonkers dog belongs is definitely a Dog Person and is considered chief wolf by a rather large number of hounds of her acquaintance.  As a result she is the person who gets asked to look after all the tricky ones when people are away and that kind of thing.  They have two extras in residence for Christmas.  One is the lollop-y lab who is basically allergic to being a dog who has lived with them for extended periods before and who is quite pleasant despite the slobbering, the runny eyes and the smelling extraordinarily bad even by dog standards.  This time he has brought with him his doggy housemate, who I'd never met before.  She's a random black and tan muttley with a very foxy face, a ditinctly cunning and manipulative streak, and Complex Issues who was adopted and immigrated to the UK after her owners found her, as a feral puppy, in Italy.

I made my sister text said owners and tell 'em that they are very fortunate that I am extraordinarily allergic to their dog.  Because if not, I'd have stolen her!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #48 on: 26 December, 2013, 09:49:21 pm »
Megan, the young Border Terrier, has become very protective of Pearl, the old, blind Burmese.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #49 on: 27 December, 2013, 11:19:08 am »
This sheep avoided shearing for 6 years by hiding in a cave. It had enough fleece for 20 suits when finally sheared.

Just spotted this: That is Shrek the Sheep, very famous in New Zealand. At random places, cafe's and bars etc., you will find a bit framed and behind glass fleece proclaiming to be a bit of his. He was/is seen as hero and has entered the Kiwi folklore big time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrek_(sheep)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit