Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338557 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #750 on: 07 October, 2019, 03:26:16 pm »

Interesting. I boobed by calling squares "impossible" in this thread. On the heatmap webpage I merely called them "hard". Hard is a better word than impossible because for almost any square there is /someone/ who has the right to go there (e.g. military staff).

Maybe what we should be defining the difficulty of a square by how many people have been there. Nothing is impossible .. just "not yet visited".

Agreed. I have a square that not may people have, because I hired a kayak and paddled into the middle of a lake (no I'm not addicted, honest!). I'm really hoping for a good cold snap this winter so I can cycle out onto the ice in a couple of places to bag water based tiles.

Maybe it should be an algorithm based on the number of people who have got the tiles next to it... So if the tiles on all 4 sides have been got more than 5x as much as the centre tile, it should be considered hard, or something.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #751 on: 07 October, 2019, 04:01:52 pm »
At the weekend I discovered that my 25x25 square had downsized dramatically, as a latent false positive had opened up very near to home. Now fixed with a good local ride including a first time bridleway.  :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #752 on: 08 October, 2019, 02:50:27 pm »
I'm still stuck on 18x18 although ALL squares are in the Peak District.
Just need to do a short 120km, 2500m ride to get to 20x20....  :) Maybe next week.

« Reply #753 on: 08 October, 2019, 02:50:52 pm »
'latent false positive'

How does it change? I have a few that are very marginal grazings, GPS error could easily account for 1 or 2. Once it's commited, surely that's it?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #754 on: 08 October, 2019, 03:43:25 pm »
'latent false positive'

How does it change? I have a few that are very marginal grazings, GPS error could easily account for 1 or 2. Once it's commited, surely that's it?

Not quite.

The strava API affords for two types of track, the abridged, and the full at least a while back veloviewer only got the abridged version and used that, which is why you'd often get a straight road where you didn't pick up the tiles in the middle, but if you clicked on the activity, veloviewer got the full data, and you got the tiles. I've not had to do this for a while, so I'm thinking that he may have changed the way that the data is imported.

But it does mean occasionally you've got a tile you haven't actually got, because of the way the abridged form takes, in other cases you've not got a tile you have, for the inverse. It tends to work out eventually.

J
--

« Reply #755 on: 14 October, 2019, 01:55:01 pm »
I’m new to this Strava / VeloViewer business. Yesterday a ride transferred OK from Strava to VeloViewer. Today 3 short rides totalling 5 miles haven’t. Have tried logging out / to VeloViewer.

Is there a reason for this? Do rides have to be of a minimum distance?

Thanks for any help.

« Reply #756 on: 14 October, 2019, 02:43:10 pm »
I had some short ones disappearing because they fitted entirely inside a privacy zone.

« Reply #757 on: 14 October, 2019, 04:06:38 pm »
I don’t have a privacy zone set.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #758 on: 14 October, 2019, 05:51:46 pm »
Sometimes I've done an Update on my phone but then the latest rides don't appear on the desktop without doing an Update there as well. Could it be caused by cookies being stored to reduce load on the server?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #759 on: 14 October, 2019, 08:07:51 pm »
... swim West from the coast by the Marconi sailing club...

I hadn't considered swimming! Would have to save it as a Ride or Hike though, I think...

Why? VV takes swims too as they're human powered.

I assumed it only took rides and hikes because of:

But I'm guessing now it only gives me those options as I've only ever recorded rides and hikes...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #760 on: 14 October, 2019, 08:57:14 pm »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #761 on: 04 November, 2019, 12:03:16 am »
After a ggod few month on 19*19, managed to get the required square. 20*20 now. North Londin is starting to get in the way, not that keen on the traffic

« Reply #762 on: 07 November, 2019, 02:10:12 pm »
Managed to pick up a rogue tile this morning, increasing my max square from 9x9 to 12x12
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #763 on: 07 November, 2019, 08:33:41 pm »
A few long forays into France did increase my max tile count immensely but hardly did anything for my cluster or square.
My current results are:
Total amount of tiles 32022
max cluster  4789
square  35

At this rate I should have a total tile increase of over 4000 for this year by the end of the year. A bit more as expected.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #764 on: 07 November, 2019, 09:50:58 pm »
A few long forays into France did increase my max tile count immensely but hardly did anything for my cluster or square.
My current results are:
Total amount of tiles 32022
max cluster  4789
square  35

At this rate I should have a total tile increase of over 4000 for this year by the end of the year. A bit more as expected.

I'm at 3770 new tiles for the year. With overall tally of:

Tiles: 9536 tiles
Max square 17x17
Max Cluster: 617

On the plus side, I'm at 314 Gemente in 2019!

J

--

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #765 on: 08 November, 2019, 11:18:04 am »
I follow the new tiles each year closely, I love adventuring to new places.

In the overall tiles each year, me and Lee Killestein have had some fun over the past few years.
I got Lee last year for the No1 spot but for 2019 he is super strong with his Audax points chasing.
Current score is  Lee 11,309 with mine at 11,040
Not sure I can summon up the enthusiasm to chase that before the end of the year   ::-)

Interestingly the Current leader in that table over Lee seems to be a data glitch, James H is on 11,835 tiles in the list but when you check his summary page it says he has only done 5060 this year, and the mileage covered seems to back that up.

Would be nice to see lee rightly in that top spot. :thumbsup:

« Reply #766 on: 08 November, 2019, 06:09:29 pm »
I follow the new tiles each year closely, I love adventuring to new places.

In the overall tiles each year, me and Lee Killestein have had some fun over the past few years.
I got Lee last year for the No1 spot but for 2019 he is super strong with his Audax points chasing.
Current score is  Lee 11,309 with mine at 11,040
Not sure I can summon up the enthusiasm to chase that before the end of the year   ::-)

Interestingly the Current leader in that table over Lee seems to be a data glitch, James H is on 11,835 tiles in the list but when you check his summary page it says he has only done 5060 this year, and the mileage covered seems to back that up.

Would be nice to see lee rightly in that top spot. :thumbsup:

The sharp end of this table is quite audax heavy. OK, Koos doesn't do audaxes and I don't know about Arek but you, John, Peter and myself all are active audaxers.

« Reply #767 on: 08 November, 2019, 06:52:56 pm »
I’ve not seen that leaderboard before, but pleased to see I’m in the top 20 ... to add to the plethora of audax riders ‘near’ to the sharp end

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #768 on: 08 November, 2019, 10:00:32 pm »

Where is the total tiles leaderboard?

J
--

« Reply #769 on: 08 November, 2019, 10:06:06 pm »

Where is the total tiles leaderboard?

J

In the leaderbords section, just select explorter (tiles) from the drop down menu and change to all on the left hand button

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #770 on: 08 November, 2019, 10:32:07 pm »
In the leaderbords section, just select explorter (tiles) from the drop down menu and change to all on the left hand button

Oh yes, Forgot that was there...

Looks like I'm 73rd. That's considerably higher than I expected. Another metric to aim for...

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #771 on: 08 November, 2019, 10:38:09 pm »

Looks like I'm 73rd. That's considerably higher than I expected. Another metric to aim for...

Oh, I was only looking at 2019. If I select all time, then I drop to 368th.

J
--

« Reply #772 on: 09 November, 2019, 05:53:19 am »

J

Me too, I thought the discussion started about an annual ‘competition’ between 2 riders. Looking at all years, I drop down to top 100.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #773 on: 09 November, 2019, 09:42:12 am »

J

Me too, I thought the discussion started about an annual ‘competition’ between 2 riders. Looking at all years, I drop down to top 100.

Both are interesting.
For me it's the other way round. I'm at 6 for all the years but 'only' in 29th spot for 2019.

« Reply #774 on: 15 November, 2019, 07:45:50 pm »
Not really been looking to expand my square this year (It hasnt increased), but have been exploring a bit.
Lots of new places visited and hopefully of benefit in the long term.

Some interesting route choices at the weekend, allowed me to expand my cluster to 1,000 tiles