Author Topic: Proper decent gloves  (Read 12631 times)

Re: Proper decent gloves
« Reply #25 on: 23 October, 2013, 01:37:51 pm »
Cant go wrong with army surplus extreme cold weather mitts. Love mine, toasty warm, breathable and hardwearing.

Is that a whole system, bender? Looks good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: 23 October, 2013, 01:46:11 pm »
I've been looking for some camouflage gloves but I haven't been able to find any.

« Reply #27 on: 23 October, 2013, 02:23:48 pm »
In traditional forum style. I asked a question. Got very helpful answers. Then did my own thing anyway.

Trying to wean myself off online purchases and supporting my LBS. They recommended some Endura Strike Waterproof gloves. £30 they were, which looking online is the going price anyway. Review  all seem to be favourable and being able to try on different sizes was a bonus. I bought slightly larger than usual so that I can fit my DHB glove liners in on sub zero days.

Thanks all though for the insight.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #28 on: 23 October, 2013, 03:03:44 pm »
As others have said, layers is what you want.  Whatever you go for buy a pair of these to go over the top.  Waterproof, windproof and therefore warm.  Worth every penny.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #29 on: 23 October, 2013, 03:13:25 pm »
For those that do like the Sealskinz, Sportpursuit has them on offer at the moment:

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/sealskinz-oct
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #30 on: 23 October, 2013, 03:30:38 pm »
I have so given up with lined/padded gloves. They fill up with water so you hands sit in an ice bath yet you cannot take them off, because if you do the finger linings pull out and then you cannot put the gloves because your hands are numb with cold and then it's like, "game over".  For that extra frisson this mostly happens at night when you cannot see what youre doing. Mostly.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dsx2vdn7gpY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/dsx2vdn7gpY&rel=1</a>

Assos Early Winter Gloves and liners with Tuff Bags/Trekmate paclite mitts FTW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 23 October, 2013, 03:35:44 pm »
I have so given up with lined/padded gloves. Once they get wetted through you cannot take them off, because if you do the finger linings pull out and then you cannot put the gloves because your hands are numb with cold and then it's like, "game over".  For that extra frisson this mostly happens at night when you cannot see what youre doing. Mostly.

Silk liners prevent this from happening, even on cheap nasty gloves.

« Reply #32 on: 23 October, 2013, 03:42:13 pm »
I'm astounded that you think it's possible to operate a bike with some of these things. I ride fixed/single speed on solo bikes and I wouldn't try and ride wearing some of these gloves, let alone anything with actual gears to change.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #33 on: 23 October, 2013, 03:47:06 pm »
I'm astounded that you think it's possible to operate a bike with some of these things. I ride fixed/single speed on solo bikes and I wouldn't try and ride wearing some of these gloves, let alone anything with actual gears to change.

Never had a problem.  I think it's important to get the right size thus achieving a snug fit.

« Reply #34 on: 23 October, 2013, 03:54:35 pm »
But snug fit=no air trapped=colder?

« Reply #35 on: 23 October, 2013, 03:56:35 pm »

It's a point.

My seriously-cold-weather bike is the mercian (with spiked tyres). It has bar end levers and these are easily operated even with mittens.

STI's are a pain to use with Mittens.

Loose fit mittens that are snug around the wrist are warmer than tight gloves, IME. YMMV
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 23 October, 2013, 04:00:13 pm »
Yeah, bar-ends, twist grips and MTB levers are all easy enough in thick gloves.  I've not ridden a bike with STIs in winter gloves, but I imagine they're at least as fiddly as trigger shifters.  Probably something worth thinking about when specifying a winter bike.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #37 on: 23 October, 2013, 04:01:49 pm »

It's a careful balance. 

Good point about STIs.  I don't use them so perhaps can more easily get away with bulkier gloves.

« Reply #38 on: 23 October, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »
Yeah, bar-ends, twist grips and MTB levers are all easy enough in thick gloves.  I've not ridden a bike with STIs in winter gloves, but I imagine they're at least as fiddly as trigger shifters.  Probably something worth thinking about when specifying a winter bike.

Like I said, single speed for the ice bike. I still like to be able to use the brakes, and for me that's not a whole hand exercise. I s'pose MTB triggers are doable- thumb & side of hand. I still wouldn't be comfortable with the level of control though, I suspect.

(I'm almost as likely to allow twist grips in my fleet as The Bars That Shall Not Be Named).

« Reply #39 on: 23 October, 2013, 04:10:44 pm »
I have skeleton fingers, so I don't find STIs an issue with lots of glovage. Negatives are that they feel the cold very quickly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 23 October, 2013, 04:12:20 pm »

Like I said, single speed for the ice bike. I still like to be able to use the brakes, and for me that's not a whole hand exercise. I s'pose MTB triggers are doable- thumb & side of hand. I still wouldn't be comfortable with the level of control though, I suspect.

(I'm almost as likely to allow twist grips in my fleet as The Bars That Shall Not Be Named).

Oh, I hate twist grips too.  I tolerate them merely as a Reasonable Adjustment under the 2010 Equality Act, and even then only the high-end SRAM and Rohloff versions (ie. those that actually work) are considered acceptable :)

But they do work fine in thick gloves.  Indeed, it's the absence of gloves in summer that makes them tricky.

MTB triggers take a bit of getting used to with thick gloves, but do work okay.  The problem is the accelerated wear on the thumb part of the glove, due to the sliding motion over the lever.

« Reply #41 on: 23 October, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »
People with arthritic fingers find twist grips easier than sti, rapid-fires or even large thumbies
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #42 on: 23 October, 2013, 04:18:34 pm »
The Sub-Zero gloves look like they would be a PITA to use with STIs, but once I had them on I found that to not the case.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Chris S

« Reply #43 on: 23 October, 2013, 04:21:12 pm »
The Sub-Zero gloves look like they would be a PITA to use with STIs, but once I had them on I found that to not the case.

Ditto.

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 23 October, 2013, 07:51:30 pm »
Assos Early Winter Gloves and liners with Tuff Bags/Trekmate paclite mitts FTW.
Goretex Mitts are the one thing I haven't tried, but sound like they should work. But £40 for the Tuffs, eek.

Has anyone used the "British Army" ones (priced around a tenner in many virtual high streets)?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bender

• Bite my shiny metal a..
« Reply #46 on: 23 October, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »
Cant go wrong with army surplus extreme cold weather mitts. Love mine, toasty warm, breathable and hardwearing.

Is that a whole system, bender? Looks good.

Yup, centre one is an inner fuzzy lined, leather palmed goretex which is enough on it's own on the bike, then the left hand wool 'ovenmitt' over the top, finally the righthand gore outer. I have ridden with all three but they are bulky. using them without the wool layer is great, and the outers come almost to my elbows keeping my arm warm. they're dirt cheap, and better than some very expensive stuff I see marketed as 'sports' equipment.

« Reply #47 on: 25 October, 2013, 02:17:14 pm »
Correct.

I've used a loose fit Extremites Velo glove in -10°C without problems, despite it being a fairly thin glove.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #48 on: 26 October, 2013, 01:32:32 pm »
For really cold weather, pogies/bar mitts are great.
It means you can wear some fairly thin gloves inside, so still able to use the gears and brakes etc.

« Reply #49 on: 26 October, 2013, 01:42:58 pm »
Last winter taught me the value of a decent pair of gloves brrrrrrr.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain