Author Topic: yACF Southern Tandem Ride  (Read 15441 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: yACF Southern Tandem Ride
« Reply #25 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:06:20 pm »
That weekend is in our diary.  We won't have Superstoker, so will probably be able to take part in the main convoy (at the back, probably :-[ )
Getting there...

« Reply #26 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:04:23 pm »
Well, the Things may be available that weekend, and are very keen on seeing the Santana.
What sort of shape Dobbin is in is another matter. The number of major items on the "need to do" list is growing ever longer (and now includes most of the drive chain  :-\), and I daren't even think about the rims (having lost the rear wear indicator before Easter last year and the front not long after)!  :-\ :-\ He really, really needs some fettling time before we take him on holiday.

[cunning idea]
Actually, the next major tandem event in the calender *is* going on holiday, so it might be an excuse to do some fettling before 8 June, and treat the ride as a shakedown, with enough time to fix anything else before we go away.
[/cunning idea] ;D ;D

Emma
California Dreaming

« Reply #27 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:06:32 pm »
Windsor reccy undertaken, there are two options for ice cream:

1) join all the tourists on the river front, cycle parking available. Normal ice creams + 'Mr Whippies'

2) go ~2 miles south into Windsor Great Park to the village shop, normal ice creams, toilet, CTC welcome label benches beside shop or village green available. Away from the traffic and the hordes.

Once more details are confirmed I will happily either ride to the start and back to Windsor or Join you at a half way point to act as a local guide for the Windsor bit.

Matthew
You forgot the Ben & Jerry shop, right opposite Montezuma's.  :D

« Reply #28 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:11:54 pm »
Windsor reccy undertaken, there are two options for ice cream:

1) join all the tourists on the river front, cycle parking available. Normal ice creams + 'Mr Whippies'

2) go ~2 miles south into Windsor Great Park to the village shop, normal ice creams, toilet, CTC welcome label benches beside shop or village green available. Away from the traffic and the hordes.

Once more details are confirmed I will happily either ride to the start and back to Windsor or Join you at a half way point to act as a local guide for the Windsor bit.

Matthew
You forgot the Ben & Jerry shop, right opposite Montezuma's.  :D

No I had observed that but then you cosmopolitan London types have that combination every where.  ;)

Besides that is a pedestrianized road with no cycling between 10am and 4pm (from memory)

Matthew

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:13:11 am »
Do we have a confirmed meeting place / route for this ride now, or have I just not been paying attention?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #30 on: 01 June, 2008, 10:19:14 am »
Bother. HTFB and Adored Stoker---not that she's done much stoking since we've moved to London---are otherwise engaged that day. A shame, because I'd really like to get her out on the roads in town and the company of others would help. Count us in for future events, if my powers of persuasion are up to it.
Not especially helpful or mature

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #31 on: 01 June, 2008, 03:46:17 pm »
Do we have a confirmed meeting place / route for this ride now, or have I just not been paying attention?

I'm waiting for the Captain's return before I go making important decisions like that ;)

Probably mid-morning from central / west London, if that suits most people?

I was thinking of starting about 11am, and following Graham's route down past Hampton Court, along the river.  That would get us there for an easy 2pm for a late lunch / ice cream, leaving time for those who want to do so to ride back again.

« Reply #32 on: 01 June, 2008, 03:59:08 pm »
Hoping to be able to meet up with the peleton at your end destination in Windsor, so will be grateful for a precise final meeting point, when that has been decided.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #33 on: 01 June, 2008, 04:02:27 pm »
OK.  It'll be in town, I'll work out exactly where.  YHPM with my mobile number so we can co-ordinate if necessary!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #34 on: 01 June, 2008, 04:13:15 pm »
I was thinking of starting about 11am, and following Graham's route down past Hampton Court, along the river.  That would get us there for an easy 2pm for a late lunch / ice cream, leaving time for those who want to do so to ride back again.

:o

With respect to m'learned friend, this is YACF and on the Peli Birthday ride we arrived at the lunch pub at ten to four, Windsor itself some time later. ;)

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #35 on: 01 June, 2008, 05:37:27 pm »
Yebbut with the draft from all those tandems, we'll be really fast!

OK, maybe 10am start and get there for.... whenever....?

« Reply #36 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:18:55 am »
So where are we meeting? :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #37 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:39:31 am »
Right, I have down:

Wowbaggers,
Things,
Clarion & Butterfly,
Zipperhead & stoker,
Matthew
Martin109

Anyone else?  On solos or otherwise?

There is now a Grand Plan:  meet at the top of Spanker's Hill in Richmond Park, 10.00am start.  It is then not very far to head out to Windsor for lunch / ice cream.

:D

The 10am start is provisional at the moment.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:42:25 am »
Tandems an' icecreams' an' Wowbaggers an' Things an' everyone!

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #39 on: 04 June, 2008, 11:23:31 am »
Would have loved to have been there, en Pino, but we're on a Tandem Club run that day.  Was working at Shepperton Weir yesterday. Can't work there today, as the river's too high.  Have fun, don't fall in.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #40 on: 04 June, 2008, 12:19:58 pm »
Unfortunately I am otherwise engaged on Sundays,

if you let me know when you are nearing Windsor I may be able to ride up through the Great Park to meet you but there are no guarantees to that.

Liz YHPM with contact details.

Matthew

« Reply #41 on: 04 June, 2008, 08:16:07 pm »
Excellent! A plan is formed.  :)

See you all on Sunday.
California Dreaming

« Reply #42 on: 07 June, 2008, 10:04:11 am »
Right, I have down:

Wowbaggers,
Things,
Clarion & Butterfly,
Zipperhead & stoker,
Matthew
Martin109

Anyone else?  On solos or otherwise?

There is now a Grand Plan:  meet at the top of Spanker's Hill in Richmond Park, 10.00am start.  It is then not very far to head out to Windsor for lunch / ice cream.

The 10am start is provisional at the moment.

I'd quite like to join you good people if I may, please.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #43 on: 07 June, 2008, 10:06:21 am »
The Wows have to be regarded as very doubtful for this: my griping pains for the past three days have now developed into something... productive. :-X :'(

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 07 June, 2008, 10:09:13 am »
Oh dear.  What we loose in Wowbaggers, we'll gain in Jureks  :)

Hope you feel better soon, Peter.  If it's the Yellow Horror, you have my sympathy.  At least you're not onna plane...

:-*

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #45 on: 07 June, 2008, 10:19:17 am »
Oh dear.  What we loose in Wowbaggers, we'll gain in Jureks  :)

Hope you feel better soon, Peter.  If it's the Yellow Horror, you have my sympathy.  At least you're not onna plane...

:-*

"Loose" is the operative word... :-[

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 07 June, 2008, 10:20:53 am »
Were it not for the fact that I had the foresight to pack some (disaster preparedness ftw!) I think that I'd have sold my own mother for some Immodium last weekend...

« Reply #47 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:41:59 pm »
Have we got a precise end meeting point in Windsor, which is where I/we will be meeting you?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #48 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:44:21 pm »
Have fun all - we are definitely out of this.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #49 on: 07 June, 2008, 08:18:01 pm »
Have we got a precise end meeting point in Windsor, which is where I/we will be meeting you?

Not yet but it will be somewhere in Windsor town centre that sells ice cream!  I will text you on Sunday with where we're planning to be.