Poll

Which Sunday(s) in October would suit you best - vote for up to three.

3rd
2 (12.5%)
10th
3 (18.8%)
17th
2 (12.5%)
24th
7 (43.8%)
31st
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Random Tandem - 24th October 2010: OP UPDATED  (Read 23864 times)

Random Tandem - 24th October 2010: OP UPDATED
« on: 15 August, 2010, 08:30:20 pm »
Confirmed participants:

PB + Mlle PB
Jogler +1
Martin + Kim
Wow + 1?
Crinkles + cake   ;)
Team Dasmoth + more cake    :D
Team Chris + yet more cake      ;D
Tim + Kathy - possibles
Boab + No.2 Son
Andrij   :(
Paul + 1 ?

I've found an even more convenient parking area - on the A426 Newbold Road just south of the magistrates courts and backing onto Caldecott Park.   The parking is on the east side of the A426 and the turn is the southerly of the two from the A426 onto Newbold Road / Park Walk.   Google Maps is a bit confusing because the A426 is labelled Newbold Road and so is the bit of side road running parallel to it.   This in fact runs in front of the police station and the court.   Anyway, take the southern most turn and then turn right into the car park.     I tried a Google Maps link but it kept reverting to the whole of the UK.   Embarrassed

Free parking and plenty of space for vehicles on a Sunday.   Still public enough not to be at risk of break ins but I naturally add that you leave your vehicle at your own risk, just as you would do anywhere.

I've decided on the Stoney Cove ride primarily because the bacon butties are better.  Actually, it's because I prefer the route!

Ginger parkin that my friend makes will be veggie friendly as they are veggies and run a small wholefood shop in Rugby.

Rugby station is two minutes from mine and 5 minutes or less from the new start point.  

Re: Random Tandem
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2010, 08:46:36 pm »
This would be great fun, but I'm going to need a stoker.  Nutkin may not be speaking to me after the last outing! ::-)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2010, 11:17:05 pm »
I would volunteer, as I really enjoyed my last (first) go at tandemming - but I think there would probably be an insufficiency of leg issue!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:11:41 am »
Hmm.  At the current rate of non-progress, it seems extremely unlikely the kim-barakta tandem team will be up to real distances by then, so I could come along in a stoking capacity.  Rugby's dead easy by train from here...

I could bring my cassette lockring tool and everything ;)

« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2010, 07:42:50 am »
This is no race.   We pootle along stopping at every junction or convenient regrouping point.    Much cake is consumed.

Oh, that reminds me:  I'll need to try and locate a playground...

« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2010, 07:48:15 am »
Rugby's dead easy by train from here...

First train of the day listed at 08:30 from New Street, arriving at 09:02.   Plenty of time indeed.

Any good at home baking?   :)

« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2010, 08:31:47 am »
Hmm.  At the current rate of non-progress, it seems extremely unlikely the kim-barakta tandem team will be up to real distances by then, so I could come along in a stoking capacity.  Rugby's dead easy by train from here...

That sounds like a great idea - I mean coming along and stoking, not just the lockring tool! :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 16 August, 2010, 11:56:53 am »
I would volunteer, as I really enjoyed my last (first) go at tandemming - but I think there would probably be an insufficiency of leg issue!

I think you're right, CL.  But it would be nice to make your acquantance nevertheless.  Perhaps Wowbagger's stoker seat will be free?

« Reply #8 on: 16 August, 2010, 12:41:14 pm »

I think you're right, CL.  But it would be nice to make your acquantance nevertheless.  Perhaps Wowbagger's stoker seat will be free?

Or Kim's?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 16 August, 2010, 12:43:07 pm »
This is no race.   We pootle along stopping at every junction or convenient regrouping point.    Much cake is consumed.

It's not about stamina (of which as a non-cyclist barakta has very little) so much as ergonomics and risk of long-term injury from significant time (read: more than an hour or so) on the bike.  We've yet to devise a handlebar arrangement that is both comfortable and doesn't require her shoulder to be dislocated to grip the bars.  A recent flare-up of her balance problems has put off learning to ride the thing competently, too.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:16:11 pm »
No disrespect to Kim, who I am 100% certain it would be a delight to stoke for, but I suspect that it would take someone ever so slightly beefier and with the kind of upper body strength that a bit more piloting experience apparently helps to build to balance a tandem with me on the back!  I gather that the 'heavier person at the front' isn't an absolute rule,  but it might not be ideal for a novice to have a stoker who outweighs them by several stone....

« Reply #11 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:39:21 pm »

It's not about stamina (of which as a non-cyclist barakta has very little) so much as ergonomics and risk of long-term injury from significant time (read: more than an hour or so) on the bike.  We've yet to devise a handlebar arrangement that is both comfortable and doesn't require her shoulder to be dislocated to grip the bars.  A recent flare-up of her balance problems has put off learning to ride the thing competently, too.

Ah, I have a better understanding now.   Thanks, and sorry if either of you felt offended.    :-[

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:41:50 pm »
I gather that the 'heavier person at the front' isn't an absolute rule,  but it might not be ideal for a novice to have a stoker who outweighs them by several stone....

My thoughts exactly.  And while I reckon you'd fit on the back of my tandem fine, I'm not sure that you'd be able to get the saddle low enough on the front, which rules out the changing ends / what could possibly go wrong option.

Also, the gearing on that thing is rubbish.  Not that obtaining a sensibly small chainring is a problem, it's just yet to progress beyond my to-do list.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:48:06 pm »
Ah, I have a better understanding now.   Thanks, and sorry if either of you felt offended.    :-[

Not offended.  Barakta is, unfortunately, a walking excuse for a recumbent trike with some slightly unusual hand controls.  We're only seriously experimenting with the tandem thing because one happened to present itself.  Enthusiasm has to take second place to risk of arm injury, as her ability to work and have a social life is highly dependent on being able to type.

« Reply #14 on: 16 August, 2010, 05:09:00 pm »
Would a stoker bar riser and/or different stoker bars help? I really didn't get on with the ones on our tandem and had them changed for some others, which are brill. There are quite a few different options, something might work.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2010, 09:36:54 pm »
Yeah, plan is for some nice long stoker bars and cunning use of bar-ends.  That's on the to-do list just below "learn to ride the bloody thing".

« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2010, 09:49:46 pm »
You need to come on the random tandem ride so Barakta can try some different set ups to see what works :D. If you borrow a recumbent trike to ride there... 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2010, 09:54:21 pm »
I'm quite tempted to see if Mrs R might want to come along on this RT; I think it would be an excellent opportunity for us to try to overcome our tandem terrors.  The next question is whether it would be a suitable excursion to undertake on our 18th wedding anniversary...

CrinklyLion

« Reply #18 on: 16 August, 2010, 10:37:54 pm »
You need to come on the random tandem ride so Barakta can try some different set ups to see what works :D. If you borrow a recumbent trike to ride there... 8)

If ever there was a situation that cried out 'Hase Pino' surely this must be it?  Although I suspect you won't get one of those donated for near enough free....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 16 August, 2010, 11:20:23 pm »
If ever there was a situation that cried out 'Hase Pino' surely this must be it?  Although I suspect you won't get one of those donated for near enough free....

Yes, that was pretty much my thought process when I first heard of the things.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20 on: 16 August, 2010, 11:25:02 pm »
So when are you having a go on ours?

(Yes, you seem to live in Middle EarthBirmingham, and we're in W. Sussex, but apart from that...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rdaviesb

« Reply #21 on: 18 August, 2010, 10:06:53 pm »
Damn. We seem to be spending most of October travelling, otherwise it would have been great to get the West Coast Mainline down to Rugby.

« Reply #22 on: 24 August, 2010, 08:33:25 am »
Kim, you really need to have a go at stoking, so that you can fully empathise with barakta when you're piloting!

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #23 on: 24 August, 2010, 09:55:28 pm »
Could well be up for this. We're currently in Scotland and the diary is back at home, so I can't vote for a date until I'm back which will probably be in about a weeks time.

Edit: ATM all Sundays are free, so I will not vote.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #24 on: 02 September, 2010, 09:07:47 pm »
Having researched a bit, it must be said that getting to Rugby from York on a Sunday is a bit of a pain... but that's never stopped me before, so if there's anyone looking for a short, hefty and rather inexperienced stoker for this, I'll gladly volunteer and figure out a way to get there somehow.  With cake, of course :)