Poll

Which Sunday(s) in October would suit you best - vote for up to three.

3rd
2 (12.5%)
10th
3 (18.8%)
17th
2 (12.5%)
24th
7 (43.8%)
31st
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Random Tandem - 24th October 2010: OP UPDATED  (Read 23860 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Random Tandem
« Reply #25 on: 02 September, 2010, 09:30:44 pm »
I'll ask my grand-daughter,when she gets back from Turkey at 0300 hrs tomorrow(grandad's taxi is collecting her from the airport) if she is interested.It would be good practice for the delayed C2C ride.Then it would be dependent on the finalised date.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 02 September, 2010, 09:31:55 pm »
Having researched a bit, it must be said that getting to Rugby from York on a Sunday is a bit of a pain...

Is a stopover in Middle Earth any help?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #27 on: 02 September, 2010, 10:08:23 pm »
Is a stopover in Middle Earth any help?

Rummages on nationalrail, national express and megabus sites.... Hmmm, quite possibly!  

If anyone actually wants a stoker but is prepared to put up with me (quite a big if) do you think you might be able to squeeze me in on the instrument of torture settee, somewhere between the tandem and the streetmachine?  This would have the added advantage that I might get to meet a spork-wielding Barakta - hurrah!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 02 September, 2010, 11:42:10 pm »
If anyone actually wants a stoker but is prepared to put up with me (quite a big if) do you think you might be able to squeeze me in on the instrument of torture settee, somewhere between the tandem and the streetmachine?  This would have the added advantage that I might get to meet a spork-wielding Barakta - hurrah!

Don't see why not.  The sofa-bed is known to eat Thermarests, but is mostly harmless to humans :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #29 on: 03 September, 2010, 05:59:49 pm »
I'll ask my grand-daughter,when she gets back from Turkey at 0300 hrs tomorrow(grandad's taxi is collecting her from the airport) if she is interested.It would be good practice for the delayed C2C ride.Then it would be dependent on the finalised date.

The G.d.,she say "yes"
I can't do 17th Oct but didn't vote 'cause I'll go with the flow & hope nothing else crops up while a date for this ride is undecided.
The 24th now suits me best so have now voted for same

« Reply #30 on: 05 September, 2010, 08:13:44 pm »
We are considering logistics. I think it means into London and out again from here, or changing at Peterborough and Mordor. Neither of these are very appealing. Perhaps I should just investigate hiring one from Pitsford?

« Reply #31 on: 05 September, 2010, 08:16:10 pm »
Pitsford is quite a few miles away from Rugby.   

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #32 on: 09 September, 2010, 04:30:12 pm »
I see that 24th Oct. has a majority with 43.8%  of the vote.
Is this the definitive date or will a decision be made later to allow more voting time?

I have suddenly become busy work-wise in mid October & need to make work/leisure plans asap to accommodate everything

« Reply #33 on: 09 September, 2010, 04:55:07 pm »
I'd also be keen to pin it down to 24/10 to help plan the month (17/10 is the only one i CAN'T do).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 09 September, 2010, 06:34:42 pm »
Only just seen this thread.

I've looked at the poll results and not voted. It seems that 24th is the most popular option but I may well not be able to make this date, which would be a shame because I have already been propositioned approached by a lady keen to mount my steed. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #35 on: 09 September, 2010, 06:55:56 pm »
It's always good to hear that (paraphrasinging Charlotte's words) there's someone who would welcome Wowbagger's Thorn between her  thighs!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #36 on: 09 September, 2010, 08:40:39 pm »
Are you casting nasturtiums upon my character?   :P

If Wowbagger's stoker seat were to be available (or, if you can't make it/Mrs Wow or another better-than-me-stoker has already dibs-ed it, someone else's that I'd be able to reach the pedals on!) I do have a weekend pass to go out and play, any weekend other than the last weekend in October when we are hopefully going away to Whitby.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #37 on: 10 September, 2010, 12:40:25 am »
We have invited some pals for the weekend of 24th, which will involve a lot of cycling, eating, drinking & silliness around Essex & Suffolk.

If they accept the invitation. Which they haven't yet.

I must chase them up.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #38 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:52:58 am »
Not to a regular audaxer. :)
It's an awful lot closer than BSE.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #39 on: 10 September, 2010, 09:24:56 am »
Not to a regular audaxer. :)
It's an awful lot closer than BSE.

Last time I was in Geoffs shop at Pitsford he was hiring out TSOs that would make Rugby seem a very long way from Pitsford.

« Reply #40 on: 10 September, 2010, 12:36:57 pm »
Ours isn't exactly santana ti!
17 miles will take me an hour anna bit, and my friend will drive the stoker over. (I haven't actually determined which one will get this treat yet..)

« Reply #41 on: 13 September, 2010, 02:54:03 pm »
Be warned boab, the maintenance state of Pitsford's bikes is variable.   I have hired a tandem from them twice and twice I've had to fettle it to get the gears workign and the brakes to be safe.   Oh, and put some air into the tyres on both occasions too.

I'll see if I can get my heavy Orbita clunker back from filimg duties just in case a spare is required.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #42 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:01:05 pm »
I see that 24th Oct. has a majority with 43.8%  of the vote.
Is this the definitive date or will a decision be made later to allow more voting time?

I have suddenly become busy work-wise in mid October & need to make work/leisure plans asap to accommodate everything

BUMP.
yea or nae?

« Reply #43 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:45:57 pm »
I think we can now set the 24th as the definite date.

I was looking at the start/finish points yesterday.   What I need now is for folk to indicate if they'd be interested in a pub finish or not.   I did manage to confirm yesterday that the carpark at the Ken Marriott leisure centre is free to use.   It's so easy to get to from the railway station as well, simply exit station by the ticket office, L, R@T, SO @ rbt (3rd exit), SO @ rbt (2nd exit), SO @ rbt (2nd exit).   

Solo riders are most welcome BTW.   8)

Re: Random Tandem - 24th October 2010
« Reply #44 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:51:42 pm »
I'd like to add this to the Calendar, but, inexperienced as I am, I find that it want me to create a new thread rather than being able to link to this one.   Anybody know how to resolve this please?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #45 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:52:11 pm »

Solo riders are most welcome BTW.   8)

Ta.  Interested, but will someone let me have a go on their tandem? Pretty please?

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #46 on: 13 September, 2010, 04:04:57 pm »
I'd like to add this to the Calendar, but, inexperienced as I am, I find that it want me to create a new thread rather than being able to link to this one.   Anybody know how to resolve this please?

It's on the Calendar now but it didn't  turn out as I expected ::-)

« Reply #47 on: 13 September, 2010, 04:06:16 pm »
Bonkers innit!   :D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #48 on: 13 September, 2010, 09:29:35 pm »
Having investigated tickets and all that, I can get cheapy advances now.  And I have an offer of overnighting in Middle Earth, which neatly bypasses the issue of how to get to Rugby on a Sunday morning from York (and should mean I get to go for a bike ride with Barakta - hoorah!).  But I don't know if there's a spare seat for me on Santa's tandem, if indeed Santa's tandem is able to attend.....

So my vague and wooly plan is to book some tickets and a bike space, bake some cake and see what happens.  It's always worked for me in the past!

However, I do need to work out what time train I should be aiming for back from Brum.  What time do we reckon on being back at Rugby or thereabouts?

« Reply #49 on: 13 September, 2010, 09:42:13 pm »
I suppose that means that I'd better get planning...    :)