Author Topic: Sustrans Route 16 at Birchanger Green Rbt. (Bishops Stortford) cyclable?  (Read 2214 times)

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
I am staying at the Dunmow Travelodge this coming Friday before the Fenland Friends 600.  I intend to get to Dunmow by train from London Liverpool Street to Bishops Stortford, then by bike on the B1256 through Takeley.

It appears that I can avoid the M11/A120 intersection at Birchanger Green roundabout by travelling about 2.5km of Sustrans route 16 from the Three Willows pub at the top of Birchanger Lane to where it crosses the B1256.  Does any forumite have experience of this section of route 16 and able to tell me if it's cyclable (25mm wide tyres) at this point?  If not then I'll probably walk.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

I live close by there. The cycle path from Birchanger down towards the M11 bridge is paved, but then it turns into gravel/packed mud. You can cycle along it on 25mm tyres, but you'd want to take it easy.

There's roadworks on the roundabout before the M11 one, and on the road down to the M11 roundabout. This keeps traffic to a single lane. So the M11 roundabout is easier than usual, with fewer cars around when the lights turn green. However, you need to be confident in traffic as you need to hold the middle of the central lane (of 3) as you head eastwards around the top part of the roundabout. I've seen some airport workers ride their bikes on the footpath that goes around the roundabout.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
Thanks very much, psyclist.  I'll take the Sustrans path, which shouldn't be too much of a risk as I use SPDs and so can walk if it get too "technical" for me.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.