Author Topic: England - football  (Read 12165 times)

England - football
« on: 29 May, 2013, 10:01:19 pm »
By accident I caught the final 20 min of the England:Ireland friendly.  Looks like the long ball forward still isn't out of their system.  ::-)   Oh and Rooney was playing, for some reason...  Those TV screen advertising hoardings are irritating too. 

Anyone else enjoy the viewing experience?   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: England - football
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2013, 11:38:38 pm »
Watching sport is, more than ever, to prostitute oneself to big business. I can't stand that constantly moving advertising. The only sport I watch to any degree these days is the rugby and it really irritates me when the players come up covered in ink after a scrum on the RBS logo.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2013, 11:39:24 pm »
I can't judge the overall match though I suppose we should be glad that it went off peacefully (I think?),given the back-story.  I was only able to watch the first twenty minutes but was pretty disappointed by the skills on display:  Johnson going up with Shane Long, with his eyes shut, head down, no attempt to clear the ball and seemingly intent only on making a back for Long - do they teach them that?; Oxlade-Chamberlain receiving a great ball twenty or thirty yards out, goal at his mercy and he manages to put it three goal heights into the crowd.  Do they just do fitness training now?  I would have thought three or four hundred shots a day practice would not be too much to expect on those wages. >:(

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2013, 11:43:38 am »
What would it take to make an Engalnd performance satisfactory? I'm guessing nothing less than a 10 nill drubbing of Brazil would do it  ::-)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2013, 01:27:15 pm »
Nah, it's impossible Bobb.   If England won everything and convincingly there would still be those who grumble.   It's sport ffs, unpredictable and all the better for it.   Just look at Coventry City, Wimbledon and Wigan in relatively recent FA Cup finals...

« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2013, 01:45:53 pm »
What would it take to make an Engalnd performance satisfactory? I'm guessing nothing less than a 10 nill drubbing of Brazil would do it  ::-)
I'm not criticising an England performance in particular, Bobb, just citing a couple of examples of what I consider to have been poor play from people we might reasonably expect to do better.  I just like to see good football.

Much prefer the white and black (navy blue?) kit to the all-white, though!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2013, 01:50:22 pm »
Peter, it rather sounded like you wanted error-free football.

How boring would that be?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2013, 02:00:10 pm »
If you have realistic expectations then the England performance was acceptable.

We're "2nd division" in terms of World Football. 
Our top-5 ranking is based on a ridiculous formula that has no foundation in reality.

I was expecting a dour performance with a lack of skill, imagination and technique, that's what I got.

If you expect a top-5 performance then you will almost always be disappointed by our lack of skill, imagination and technique.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2013, 06:17:27 pm »
What amazed me is that these are supposedley professional, ultra fit athletes.  And yet imediately after last nights match the squad jumped on a plane to Brazil!

What about ther post-match recovery.  Flying immediately after a match is possibly the worst thing you can do.  What is Hodgson and the FA thinking?   
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #9 on: 30 May, 2013, 06:23:38 pm »
If you have realistic expectations then the England performance was acceptable.

We're "2nd division" in terms of World Football. 
Our top-5 ranking is based on a ridiculous formula that has no foundation in reality.

I was expecting a dour performance with a lack of skill, imagination and technique, that's what I got.

If you expect a top-5 performance then you will almost always be disappointed by our lack of skill, imagination and technique.

Can you please inform the sports editors of  all the national newspapers.  It would certainly be refreshing to see some of that realism from them  ::-)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2013, 10:44:26 pm »
Top 5 is about right.

Top 4 would mean getting to the Semi-Finals most of the time but we don't.

Top 5 means we usually get as far as the Quarter-Finals; that's about right.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2013, 11:09:23 pm »
What amazed me is that these are supposedley professional, ultra fit athletes.  And yet imediately after last nights match the squad jumped on a plane to Brazil!

What about ther post-match recovery.  Flying immediately after a match is possibly the worst thing you can do.  What is Hodgson and the FA thinking?   
Depends on the plane ... with maybe 30 staff onboard, plenty of room for a stroll about between the massage tables. Flying is not in itself harmful.

[just heard that Brazil's stadium is "unsafe" ... bloody 2nd-rate footballing nations ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 31 May, 2013, 12:51:25 am »
Peter, it rather sounded like you wanted error-free football.

How boring would that be?

I don't need error-free football; I've supported Newcastle all my life.  Boredom is born of familiarity.  Familiarity with error-free football is unlikely.  That said, Barcelona's performance against AC Milan in their return leg was as error-free as I'm ever likely to see, I think and it didn't bore me a bit!  And it didn't last!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 31 May, 2013, 01:13:13 am »

I've supported Newcastle all my life.

whereas I've been a fan only since the early '70s
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 31 May, 2013, 08:31:21 am »
England are weird as a team. Premiership football is very very good on the whole and is a fast modern game but take the players from their Premiership teams and put them in an England shirt and half the time they revert to playing like England did in 1966 and that just won't cut it anymore. The defense is usually OK though, if it wasn't we would get stuffed more often.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #15 on: 31 May, 2013, 08:47:54 am »
I probably am unrealistic in my expectations, despite 'friendlies' often being an uninspiring format of the game. I think management are still vainly hoping they'll find some magic England super hero formula for Rooney.   Hopefully we'll be able to see some Brazilian skill next game; long-ball-loss-of-possession will hammer England.  All said, I still hope that England can begin to shine and show some consistently good form in some way.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16 on: 31 May, 2013, 09:23:39 am »
England are weird as a team. Premiership football is very very good on the whole and is a fast modern game but take the players from their Premiership teams and put them in an England shirt and half the time they revert to playing like England did in 1966 and that just won't cut it anymore. The defense is usually OK though, if it wasn't we would get stuffed more often.

If they played the way England did in 1966 I think most supporters would be very happy.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #17 on: 31 May, 2013, 09:29:33 am »

If they played the way England did in 1966 I think most supporters would be very happy.

No they wouldn't be as everyone else has moved on hugely since then. Those tactics really don't work anymore.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #18 on: 31 May, 2013, 01:08:30 pm »
What happened in 1966? Did something happen? You'd think if it was something good it would have been mentioned since.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 31 May, 2013, 01:24:07 pm »
Top 5 is about right.

Top 4 would mean getting to the Semi-Finals most of the time but we don't.

Top 5 means we usually get as far as the Quarter-Finals; that's about right.

That's a very selective way of looking at rankings though.  You don't play many teams in the finals of tournaments & many team that could beat us never make the finals.  If we are 5th then I'd say we were joint 5th with about 20 other countries (which makes us, by definition, joint 20th).

Joint 20th sounds about right to me.

Can you name 4 teams that England have beaten in the finals of the World Cup and European championships over, say the last 20 or so years?  You would imagine there'd be a list of 20-30 right?...wrong.  You'll struggle to find even 4 (you'll struggle even harder to find 1 of any significance).

As for the reason why the England team don't seem to replicate the quality of the Premiership...that's an easy one, the England team has all the talented foreigners removed from it.

I'd probably look fairly reasonable if you surrounded me with the likes of Suarez, Van Persie...etc.  That's why James Milner, Gareth Barry and Stuart Downing get to wear an England shirt.  They are basically Championship players surrounded by foreign talent at club level.

At England level they are surrounded by James Milner, Gareth Barry and Stuart Downing.....that's fairly depressing I imagine.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 31 May, 2013, 03:24:44 pm »
What happened in 1966? Did something happen? You'd think if it was something good it would have been mentioned since.
 Because of that defeat Scotland needed to win both games against Italy to qualify, three points would see a play-off similar to four years earlier. Italy spent most of the match frustrating the Scots, until with two minutes left on the clock, Baxter played a perfect pass through the Italian defence for Greig to score the winner and give Scotland a famous victory. A month later Scotland travelled to Naples, and injuries and clubs refusing to release players meant that Scotland only had 14 players to play with. The Italians ran out 3-0 winners and Scotland's hopes of playing in England the following summer ended.

O:-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #21 on: 02 June, 2013, 08:51:52 pm »
Watching England v Brazil, first half.

How many England players would make the Brazil team? None.

How many Brazil players would make the England team? Most of them.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #22 on: 02 June, 2013, 08:59:44 pm »
And Rooney playing a lone role up front - that's worked well in the past, hasn't it?  ::-)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #23 on: 02 June, 2013, 09:39:24 pm »

Oxlade-Chamberlain joins Owen (x2), Terry (x1), Rooney (x1 x2!) and Lampard (x1) as the only England players to score against Brasil this century.

Top five in the world, my arse, but catching the second half of this game is the first time in years I've felt like I've been watching England play with some spirit.

LEE

« Reply #24 on: 03 June, 2013, 11:03:07 am »

Joe Hart possibly. 

You have to remember that some of the England squad don't make their domestic sides on a regular basis, never mind the Brazilian national side.

Anyway, it's about beating Brazil when it matters (not that I think Brazil are necessarily the team to beat any more).

Message to England back four - Please stop passing the ball back to the keeper so he can hoof it aimlessly forward.  If the ball needs hoofing aimlessly then just do it yourself, you're nearer our strikers so, in theory, you should be capable of more accurate hoofage.