Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471280 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #775 on: 04 August, 2011, 01:48:19 pm »
One magazine that's never going to be accused of 'airbrushing' it's cover stars!

Hopefully Nottingham's finest will have made it to our postbox today so I'll have something to distract me from fettling/oiling before tomorrow's 200.

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
« Reply #776 on: 04 August, 2011, 02:22:13 pm »
OK, perhaps 'attractive' wasn't the best choice of word  ::-)
I thought bodach, piloting the tandem,  and scoosh, in red,  both looked good. Two out of three ain't bad.  ;)

Perhaps it should be captioned:

"Who needs their bus pass ?" (all 3 qualified)   :o

I reckon the stoker is doing very well for his age/ effort etc ... too  :thumbsup:

;D
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #777 on: 04 August, 2011, 03:36:48 pm »
Some excellent photo in this one. A double spread for both David Martin and mrs cycklisten.
My favourite has to be Peter Stott's pic of Lee Hargreaves on Page 2, with the road on the Audax England jersey taking the same shape as the long and winding background. Very clever!

red marley

« Reply #778 on: 04 August, 2011, 03:46:55 pm »
And the clouds!

« Reply #779 on: 04 August, 2011, 04:26:01 pm »
Good article published about The Elenith but let us hope that Michael Conway was fundamentally wrong about one thing, that it was 'The Last Elenith'.

Either way, it was a fitting tribute to the event.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

LEE

« Reply #780 on: 04 August, 2011, 05:29:27 pm »
I see MattH changed his name to AndyH (was this just for the 24hr TT I wonder)

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #781 on: 04 August, 2011, 07:23:10 pm »
I've just come out of a business meeting to the following text from my AUK wife:

A ride report which includes the rider's struggle with constipation - it can only be Arivee!

Can't wait to get home and find out more.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Bairn Again

« Reply #782 on: 04 August, 2011, 07:27:15 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Very good, IMO, to see a trend towards more cyclists per picture, at least on the covers - 8 in the last 3 issues - much more attractive than the old single looming portrait style.

OK, perhaps 'attractive' wasn't the best choice of word  ::-)

I got home - no Arrivee

My cursor hovered over the spoiler

Finally I had to click on it

and thought

OFFS!!!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #783 on: 04 August, 2011, 07:57:42 pm »
Nice job DM
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #784 on: 04 August, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »
Good article published about The Elenith but let us hope that Michael Conway was fundamentally wrong about one thing, that it was 'The Last Elenith'.

Either way, it was a fitting tribute to the event.

I hope not Philip, besides I submitted the article with the title Elenith 2011 report... (The changing of the title to The Last Elenith I guess is a sort of call to arms, which I totally have no problems with) I do hope someone is able to take up the reigns - such a brilliant event.

Loved John's article on the SVS in Bulgaria. Inspiring stuff!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #785 on: 04 August, 2011, 09:45:52 pm »

Perhaps we could refer to them both as MandyH?

Martin

« Reply #786 on: 04 August, 2011, 11:53:02 pm »
some excellent photos, is it really summer? can't tell from some of them ; look forward to re-living The Beast on the train tomorrow

« Reply #787 on: 05 August, 2011, 10:08:28 am »
...The Beast on the train...

Is that a cheats' audax event?

« Reply #788 on: 05 August, 2011, 05:27:26 pm »
7th year of membership and over 80 audaxes ridden and I've finally made Arrivée: not once but twice ... Beast from the East and Hop Garden. And Rachel my partner is there too. Thanks Marks and Lise for these pics!

Gripping article on the Bulgarian 1200 is all I've managed so far. Who says we never race?

Uncle Eric

« Reply #789 on: 05 August, 2011, 08:02:45 pm »
Like the pix from the nat'l 24. Constructing a one-year training plan for a 24h TT, trying to execute the plan, doing the event, and then trying to tweak the training plan according to the outcome seems like an interesting project and never-ending goal. But it says the top guys can't stand up unsupported getting to the podium. Seems quite, uhm, extreme... Is it like that for mid-pack finishers too?

AndyH

« Reply #790 on: 05 August, 2011, 09:16:30 pm »

Perhaps we could refer to them both as MandyH?

::-)

AndyH

« Reply #791 on: 05 August, 2011, 09:21:32 pm »
Isn't the guy on the back cover called Scott Slater? Many apologies to Pavel if I'm wrong.

red marley

« Reply #792 on: 05 August, 2011, 11:09:25 pm »
Isn't the guy on the back cover called Scott Slater? Many apologies to Pavel if I'm wrong.

Yes, that's Scott.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #793 on: 06 August, 2011, 11:05:28 am »
Lots of cracking articles in this arrivee I thought, not sure which is my favourite.  Suppose someone other than Damon and Steve will have to write the next one  ;)
I was disappointed  :-\ to find that in spite of the misery of it* Michael still finishe the Elenith 3 hours sooner than I did.
*well, a definite similarity in recollection of the Elan vally (friend of blasted heath (tm Macbeth ie Shakespeare))
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #794 on: 06 August, 2011, 10:26:40 pm »
Been Audaxing for 6 years or so and nary a microdot in Arrivee but I hit the jackpot this issue with the front page and seen with George. Doesn't he make me look good, handsome and so young. Bring your copies to my next event and I will autograph the first hundred free of charge.

The Mechanic

« Reply #795 on: 07 August, 2011, 10:38:47 am »
Still No Arrivee here.  I hope the postie hasn't given it to someone else.  If it doesn't arrive in Monday's post I will be on the phone!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #796 on: 07 August, 2011, 10:47:49 am »
Lots of cracking articles in this arrivee I thought, not sure which is my favourite.

Yes indeed :thumbsup:

Billy Weir

« Reply #797 on: 07 August, 2011, 11:00:31 am »
Having watched Damon Peacock's wonderful videos of audax events, am I the only person who reads his Arrivee articles with a laid back, comforting Northern accent in my head?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #798 on: 07 August, 2011, 12:47:11 pm »
Quite enjoyed this edition of arrivee but keep getting a sense of deja vu reading it. There's a lot of stuff I've read before - on here. Seems to be fast becoming 'yacf the hard copy'. Not arrivee's fault though.

Peter Ruffhead on page 19 looks like he's just survived an attempt to knock him off by a bloke leaping out of the bushes, who the guy behind appears to be heading straight at.

Matt Haigh on the inside back cover appears to have been renamed Andrew unless he's got a very similar looking brother.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #799 on: 07 August, 2011, 02:01:24 pm »
Like the pix from the nat'l 24. Constructing a one-year training plan for a 24h TT, trying to execute the plan, doing the event, and then trying to tweak the training plan according to the outcome seems like an interesting project and never-ending goal. But it says the top guys can't stand up unsupported getting to the podium. Seems quite, uhm, extreme... Is it like that for mid-pack finishers too?

Mid-pack finishers don't need to climb on the podium.  :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)