Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 473707 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #975 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:26:24 pm »
Mine just dropped through the letterbox - complete with new Auky logo thingy :thumbsup:

Mine's here too.
I see Tim is appealing for more content as few people are submitting much for publication.
There are many excellent reports on yacf; why not share them witth a wider audience? It's not difficult!

I have done (Dinner Dart) but don't know if it's in yet as mine hasn't arrived .

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #976 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:33:58 pm »
Mine just dropped through the letterbox - complete with new Auky logo thingy :thumbsup:

Mine's here too.
I see Tim is appealing for more content as few people are submitting much for publication.
There are many excellent reports on yacf; why not share them witth a wider audience? It's not difficult!

I have done (Dinner Dart) but don't know if it's in yet as mine hasn't arrived .

It starts on page 36...

Chris S

« Reply #977 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:45:34 pm »
I see Roly Cockwell has metamorphosed into Andy Allsopp on the inside cover. I know this to be true because I took that photo with Roly's camera, at Coxwold  :D.

I kind of get the impression that the Arrivee team would like original submissions rather than just recycled internet content, is this the case? If it's not - then perhaps a thread here called "Arrivee Contributions" could be used - authors need only add a link to their online content and the Arrivee team could come and pick over the list whenever they need material.

« Reply #978 on: 08 May, 2012, 02:06:41 pm »
That's an interesting one, Chris, and one that exercises me slightly.  I have seen "complaints" on this forum about Arrivee containing articles that have already appeared here and a couple of my articles have been on here before they appeared in Arrivee.  But I love to write and to spread the word about our sport and want to maximise the audience for my reports.  It's a long time to wait for an Arrivee to come out and I write quite a lot of ride reports that I don't put in either outlet, for fear of blowing my own trumpet!  I love to read reports and will probably answer Tim's plea for more next time.  This may mean a bit of duplication, I don't know!  A straightforward answer to actual  complaints about duplication is to retort, "You write something, then!"  I don't include you in the complainers, by the way - I enjoy your reports and wish I could have been on Chevy Chase with you!

P.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #979 on: 08 May, 2012, 02:27:23 pm »
Do we all agree that GPS is cheating? I don't think this needs discussing, to be honest.

[see 'Correspondence Page' if you haven't yet. ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #980 on: 08 May, 2012, 02:34:13 pm »
Not really, although I'm assuming the AUK members mentioned aren't going to be interested in p48 then.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #981 on: 08 May, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »
Good piece on PBP by 3Speaker starting on page 40  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Chris S

« Reply #982 on: 08 May, 2012, 02:46:10 pm »
I'm afraid I've come upon the 100k AUK Snobbery a couple of times; nothing as overt or offensive as that in the letter, but an under-current of "Oh. 100km. Well - it's not really Long Distance cycling, is it?" attitude.

I've always viewed "Long Distance" in the same way as I've viewed the term "Hilly". Different meanings to different people.

However, anything less than 200km is not Randonneering - in so far as a Randonee in the cycling sense is a ride of 200km or more. But that wasn't the point of the letter - which, FWIW, I think Mike W handled very well.

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #983 on: 08 May, 2012, 03:31:12 pm »
Mine arrived 5 mins before I had to leave for work :facepalm:

Mine's here too.

« Reply #984 on: 08 May, 2012, 03:36:07 pm »
Mine's here, looking forward to a good read and I've had time for a quick skim. I was disappointed by that letter too. It was handled well by Mike, I hope this isn't too widespread.

Adam got his photo in again, looking as cheerful on the bike as usual  :)

And, according to "Just a Minute", with no deviations, repetition or hesitation we get to play AUK mission statements  :thumbsup:

« Reply #985 on: 08 May, 2012, 03:45:04 pm »
Adam got his photo in again, looking as cheerful on the bike as usual  :)

Good picture! Nicely placed next to a shot of some battered old bloke at the other end of the age range.

(Oh, hang on, it's me!)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #986 on: 08 May, 2012, 03:49:37 pm »
Page 10,middle pic extreme left.
yacf shirt
is that ChrisS & boab on the tandem?

Chris S

« Reply #987 on: 08 May, 2012, 03:54:42 pm »
Page 10,middle pic extreme left.
yacf shirt
is that ChrisS & boab on the tandem?

No. It wasn't me. I wasn't there I tell ya!

Plodding Pedro took a much closer one of just us - but clearly good taste, and the fear of emotional harm to sensitive readers has made sure that one wasn't published! Phew!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #988 on: 08 May, 2012, 05:33:51 pm »
Do we all agree that GPS is cheating? I don't think this needs discussing, to be honest.

;D  It's a fair cop, I'll admit it, I cheat - all the time.  If I didn't I'd get lost - all the time.  Me looking at a map or route sheet is like watching a monkey staring at an abacus.  Even with a GPS I can still get lost - just not all the time.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #989 on: 08 May, 2012, 05:41:36 pm »
Why do (mostly male) cyclists delight in belittling (mostly female) newbies? Such attitudes deter women from joining many groups. I've been patronised in several CTC groups. I'm pleased my first Audax ride was a 300. Nobody could belittle that. I suppose it's 'cheating' that it was flat and there was no measurable rain on a sunny July day...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #990 on: 08 May, 2012, 05:42:45 pm »
GPS is bloody useful.  AUK is a long distance cycling organisation, not a long distance orienteering organisation, and a GPS doesn't disintegrate in the rain.

The trouble is that however hardcore someone is, there'll be someone else who is hairshirting it harder.  Remember the joyless cock who joined the forum solely to tell PBP 2007 riders that if they used a bag drop they hadn't 'really' done PBP? 

Personally, dear, I wouldn't count it as a real audax unless I hammered a nail through my scrotum before starting and did the whole distance fuelled only by water and my own sense of martyrdom... kind of attitude.  It irks me.

It's not just AUK though, in any group there will be someone who feels the need to piss on others' chips to make themselves feel better.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #991 on: 08 May, 2012, 05:52:40 pm »
I think Mike W handled very well.

so do I.
It's sad that an individual has been dissuaded from being a member by intellectually impotent willy wavers :(

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #992 on: 08 May, 2012, 05:55:34 pm »
Why do (mostly male) cyclists delight in belittling (mostly female) newbies?
I cannot speak for these mostly male cyclists.

But if it makes you feel any better, my chips were amply pissed on by a female TT marshall last year. (and yes, she was a lot faster than me - but why shouldn't she be? So is Nicole Cooke.)

[And I agree, Mikew's reply was top notch  :thumbsup: ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #993 on: 08 May, 2012, 05:56:54 pm »
I've been looking forward to the latest Arrivée, I've been re-reading that last two copies.  In reading terms I must have done the Border Raid with Deano I know it so well.

Looking forward to this edition and expecting to keep reading from cover to cover for the next three to four months.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #994 on: 08 May, 2012, 06:37:26 pm »
Why do (mostly male) cyclists delight in belittling (mostly female) newbies?
I cannot speak for these mostly male cyclists.

But if it makes you feel any better, my chips were amply pissed on by a female TT marshall last year. (and yes, she was a lot faster than me - but why shouldn't she be? So is Nicole Cooke.)

[And I agree, Mikew's reply was top notch  :thumbsup: ]

There's no gender identification that letter. Many cyclists seem to discipline themselves by attempting to remain within a given category. In Veteran Time Trialling there are elaborate tables of times you should be doing at various ages. There's a lot of people with that mindset in Audax, women as well as men. They'll tend to be riding together, towards the front of the field, so there's rarely a clash of cultures with those whose times and figures betray a greater laxity, stumbling along at the back of the field.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #995 on: 08 May, 2012, 06:53:31 pm »
IMO it does need to be discussed. It's really important to encourage newbies; they are our seedcorn.
It's important to nurture people's self-awareness so they don't come across like the person who deterred that non-AUK.
I  might have been guilty in the past, like many of us. I hope I'm not in future.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #996 on: 08 May, 2012, 07:29:39 pm »
Arrivée does smell quite nice this quarter. Has it been printed on special high quality glossy paper?

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #997 on: 08 May, 2012, 07:55:41 pm »
Why do (mostly male) cyclists delight in belittling (mostly female) newbies? Such attitudes deter women from joining many groups. I've been patronised in several CTC groups. I'm pleased my first Audax ride was a 300. Nobody could belittle that. I suppose it's 'cheating' that it was flat and there was no measurable rain on a sunny July day...

I've never known anything like this happen (maybe I'm too new to it and too young....ish...), but I would not hesitate to dish out a firm STFU to anyone being such a twat. Is it just 'men of a certain age'?
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #998 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:18:06 pm »
Arrivée does smell quite nice this quarter. Has it been printed on special high quality glossy paper?

I think it's the ink rather than the paper---but yes it does smell rather nice.   :)
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #999 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:20:21 pm »
You've just made me smell my Arrivée and it smells of exams.