Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 477069 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #1675 on: 05 August, 2015, 06:46:33 pm »
Can I read this magazine online ?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1676 on: 05 August, 2015, 07:17:23 pm »
Not yet but you will be able to in a few hours. I'll post a link when it's up.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1677 on: 05 August, 2015, 08:35:03 pm »
Summer 2015 plopped through my letterbox about an hour ago!

I've got mine.
Quick look shows Chester & N Wales advertising weekend of activities on 'Saturday August 5 2015 and Sunday August 6 2015'
I presume they mean September.
Oh Dear!

I has an article in it - in black n white print n everything OMG my mum is gonna be so proud  ;D

nice write up Jo, and your obvious enjoyment of all things around you when riding  :thumbsup:---beats the hell out of the nose to the stem sportive types who see nowt but speed.
If nothing else a bike is by sure the one of best ways to see, appreciate and be in touch with the natural world.

....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #1678 on: 05 August, 2015, 09:01:59 pm »
That cover photo made me smile when I saw it on the doormat this evening  ;D

Excellent front cover. Good work!

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #1679 on: 05 August, 2015, 09:46:54 pm »
Quick look shows Chester & N Wales advertising weekend of activities on 'Saturday August 5 2015 and Sunday August 6 2015'
I presume they mean September.
Oh Dear!
[/quote]

Well spotted---yes it is Saturday Sept 5 for "Momma Rides" and Sunday Sept 6 for Beaumaris to Wrexham stage of "Tour of Britain".

Apologies for error caused by date change when Cav dropped his Chester based sportives onto the original "Momma" date of Aug 9.   :facepalm:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

citoyen

« Reply #1680 on: 05 August, 2015, 10:37:34 pm »
Can I read this magazine online ?

Here you go:
http://issuu.com/audax-uk/docs/arrivee129_summer2015

Link will be on the AUK site soon too.

Job done.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1681 on: 05 August, 2015, 11:14:00 pm »

+1

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #1682 on: 06 August, 2015, 05:00:21 am »
Cheers citoyen.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1683 on: 06 August, 2015, 06:32:56 am »
Even made it up to here in yesterday's post.

Great job Citoyen (on the editing not the delivery)  :thumbsup:

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #1684 on: 06 August, 2015, 02:50:52 pm »

Glad to see this is getting a better reception than it has done on the AUK Facebook group.  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

citoyen

« Reply #1685 on: 06 August, 2015, 03:42:59 pm »
Glad to see this is getting a better reception than it has done on the AUK Facebook group.  :thumbsup:

I rarely pay attention to the fb group but I had to go over and see what you meant...

Crikey. Really didn't expect it to be so controversial!

« Reply #1686 on: 06 August, 2015, 03:45:19 pm »
the fb group

Am saying nowt. I almost got banned last time I mentioned them.

I really like the cover and the photographs inside are not too bad either ;-)

caerau

« Reply #1687 on: 06 August, 2015, 03:48:11 pm »

I rarely pay attention to the fb group but I had to go over and see what you meant...

And you thought it was grumpy round here ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1688 on: 06 August, 2015, 03:57:22 pm »
I am quite happy with the cover.
My partner is a Squeamish, Fussy, Grumpy Man and is not.

caerau

« Reply #1689 on: 06 August, 2015, 04:34:44 pm »
I've seen far more squeamish inducing sights than that en-route. 

A bar has been set now - downhill is the only way  ;D :demon: ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1690 on: 06 August, 2015, 05:53:44 pm »
Cover photo controversy: hilarious.

I hope noone is actually put off opening the mag, cos they will miss possibly the best article evah in a cycling mag:

the Red King!!!

citoyen:  if nothing else, your issue has given me 2 memories that will hang around for a while :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1691 on: 06 August, 2015, 06:31:17 pm »

It wasn't really.  One person said he didn't like the cover and a few agreed.  More disagreed, and then there was an interesting appraisal of various articles.  But the response I like best was -
I for one find no enjoyment or fun whilst cycling. This photo had led me to seriously consider my future membership of this organisation.

Disgusted,
Lancashire.

red marley

« Reply #1692 on: 06 August, 2015, 06:56:14 pm »
I still think the best Arrivee cover that never was was the one of you Ian outside the Bulwark Community Centre at either the Brevet Cymru or Bryan Chapman, mobile phone pressed to ear with two wheels leaning against the wall but no bike frame between them. I think Charlotte took the photo about 6 or 7 years ago.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1693 on: 06 August, 2015, 07:19:32 pm »

It wasn't really.  One person said he didn't like the cover and a few agreed.  More disagreed, and then there was an interesting appraisal of various articles.  But the response I like best was -
I for one find no enjoyment or fun whilst cycling. This photo had led me to seriously consider my future membership of this organisation.

Disgusted,
Lancashire.
Yes, I think we need more members like "Disgusted".

OK, so 4 people expressing a -ve view on Facebook is a storm in a teacup; but it was the reasons for the dislike that entertained me.

I guess - being a long distance cyclist - I am easily amused ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

caerau

« Reply #1694 on: 06 August, 2015, 07:41:12 pm »
You'd think, being long distance cyclists, some people might be more relaxed ;)

Anyway, I just re-leafed through it and was pleased to see something about I ride I was actually on.  Unusual as it was about the night control on A Pair of Kirtons by Peter Bond - interesting and good read.
I might just have been one of those 2 or 3 who was asked to wait for a bed but I also think I was taken pity on as they could see I was falling asleep in my chair and allowed to queue jump for the bed.  Twas very well run Mr Bond and thank you very much  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
(I include all orgs and helpers in that of course).  The soup was indeed great, hence its popularity.  :-)

« Reply #1695 on: 06 August, 2015, 09:26:38 pm »
Caerau, you're welcome!  The control did seem to go well; I was merely the cog with the biggest mouth (mixed metaphor alert).

Good luck for PBP.

Peter

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1696 on: 07 August, 2015, 04:26:56 am »

I know what you mean however opinion is mixed with the majority giving it the thumbs up and only a handful treating it with contempt/disgust.

To my mind, it is someone enjoying being on a tour - oh and for a change, whilst being a (good) featured article, it is not an Audax *swoons*.

H

« Reply #1697 on: 07 August, 2015, 10:35:17 am »
I thought the cover picture was the best ever. What could be controversial about it is completely beyond me.
As I closed my facebook account a long time back I guess I will never know.

I also chuckled at the Red King ,found the story about the boy doing his first 50k audax uplifting and enjoyed most of the other content.

The only controversial bit I could spot was the article about a fast 400 which described the event as a race more than once.Maybe I am just jealous of people who can get to controls before they open ,not a problem I need to worry about ;D

« Reply #1698 on: 07 August, 2015, 01:44:10 pm »
I hope noone is actually put off opening the mag, cos they will miss possibly the best article evah in a cycling mag:

the Red King!!!

My work, thanks!

« Reply #1699 on: 07 August, 2015, 06:57:07 pm »
There's even half a dozen photos of me, you lucky devils!

I thought the cover photo was great. Knew I should've sent this one from PBP 2011 into Arrivée...