Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 477149 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #1700 on: 08 August, 2015, 11:36:30 am »
Mr Bezant wrote a very nice article about my 600, but the photo captioned 'Colin and John' doesn't feature Colin.  Presumably he was behind the camera.  The one with the beard is normally known as Simon.

All-in-all a very well-presented magazine.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1701 on: 08 August, 2015, 12:23:51 pm »
An Arrivee without a mis-captioned photo would be like an Audax without a road-closure.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1702 on: 08 August, 2015, 12:24:23 pm »
OK, so 4 people expressing a -ve view on Facebook is a storm in a teacup; but it was the reasons for the dislike that entertained me.

Yeah, it's barely even a storm in a teacup - maybe slight turbulence in a thimble at worst - but it took me by surprise. I forget sometimes that at 42, I'm one of the younger members of the organisation and many members have what might be considered a somewhat old-fashioned outlook. ;)

It's lucky the Straight Outta Hackney 200 didn't happen a couple of weeks earlier or there could have been some real controversy... (cf. pic of jsabine & friends on ACH facebook page)

I also chuckled at the Red King ,found the story about the boy doing his first 50k audax uplifting and enjoyed most of the other content.

Yes, I thought they were both great.

The only controversial bit I could spot was the article about a fast 400 which described the event as a race more than once.

Indeed. I did tone it down slightly to remove references to finishing times though. But on the whole I thought it was a good piece and merited its place in the issue.

As Dave 'Man of Kent' Winslade says, it's about 'having a good time, not doing a good time' but it's important to remember that the two are not mutually exclusive - to my mind, there's nothing wrong with getting your kicks by finishing a 400 as fast as you possibly can, as long as it's within the upper time limit and you're not actually treating it as a race (I think it's OK in this instance because Ciaran is using the term 'race' in an informal sense).

By contrast, Peter's piece about his Yorkshire Dales ride highlights the joy of just enjoying a day out at relaxed pace with no eye on the clock. Audax is a broad church.

the photo captioned 'Colin and John' doesn't feature Colin

Oops! My bad. Sorry.

There are a few errors here and there throughout the mag - technical glitches with pictures, mainly - largely down to the time pressure of putting the mag together while also being exceptionally busy in the day job. Now I've got a better idea of the overall process, it should run a bit smoother next time.

An Arrivee without a mis-captioned photo would be like an Audax without a road-closure.

;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1703 on: 08 August, 2015, 01:58:18 pm »
My favourite photograph is on p22 where Tim S demonstrates how to wear a helmet at a jaunty angle.

« Reply #1704 on: 08 August, 2015, 04:01:35 pm »

As Dave 'Man of Kent' Winslade says, it's about 'having a good time, not doing a good time' but it's important to remember that the two are not mutually exclusive - to my mind, there's nothing wrong with getting your kicks by finishing a 400 as fast as you possibly can, as long as it's within the upper time limit and you're not actually treating it as a race (I think it's OK in this instance because Ciaran is using the term 'race' in an informal sense).

We filmed Ciaran on the Conor Pass, the highest one in Ireland. He's got a 'spiritual' view of climbing, which caused some interesting cross cultural misunderstanding with a Dutch rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2_9zp7BSiM

« Reply #1705 on: 08 August, 2015, 06:18:26 pm »

It's lucky the Straight Outta Hackney 200 didn't happen a couple of weeks earlier or there could have been some real controversy... (cf. pic of jsabine & friends on ACH facebook page)

Nearly missed that, Sharpies Sandals!

Good work on the Arrivée.

« Reply #1706 on: 08 August, 2015, 06:23:13 pm »
That cover photo made me smile when I saw it on the doormat this evening  ;D

Excellent front cover. Good work!

+1

Like it too.   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1707 on: 08 August, 2015, 06:25:21 pm »

Had a look on the ACH page - disappointing lack of provocative footage. :(
(I may not have opened *every* picture).

Could you sneak it into the next edition?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1708 on: 08 August, 2015, 06:30:32 pm »
Mrs PatC has just pointed out that I'm in the Oasts & Coasts pictures, this had me a bit confused till I remembered that I was out around Folkestone that day and saw quite a few of the O&C riders along the coastal section....will have to try the same trick next year.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1709 on: 08 August, 2015, 06:39:39 pm »

Had a look on the ACH page - disappointing lack of provocative footage. :(
(I may not have opened *every* picture).

Could you sneak it into the next edition?!?

Maybe referring to this terribly rude picture. I think the offender should be ashamed of himself.   ;)

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1710 on: 08 August, 2015, 06:50:13 pm »
I glanced at that one and thought all 3 were just waving amiably, in a display of appreciation and joy at their rural itinerary. I believe jsabine is on the commitee - it MUST be an optical illusion that his hands are in fact ...

No, I can't bring myself to type it. It can't be possible.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #1711 on: 08 August, 2015, 07:07:46 pm »
I glanced at that one and thought all 3 were just waving amiably, in a display of appreciation and joy at their rural itinerary. I believe jsabine is on the commitee - it MUST be an optical illusion that his hands are in fact ...

The controversy is that he's riding hands-free and not wearing a helmet. Disgraceful example to set. ;)

« Reply #1712 on: 08 August, 2015, 07:09:12 pm »
The controversy is that he's riding hands-free and not wearing a helmet. Disgraceful example to set. ;)

Not in a BC organised race is he?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #1713 on: 08 August, 2015, 07:10:22 pm »

A board member, possibly, in contravention of Regulation 9.3.3 - I am appalled.

Won't someone think of the children?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1714 on: 08 August, 2015, 09:01:24 pm »
The bearded rider in the middle seems to have some sort of weird handlebar arrangement. I thought tri-bars were frowned upon. Mind you he gets bonus points for the beard (I'm assuming it's a "he").

citoyen

« Reply #1715 on: 08 August, 2015, 09:27:20 pm »
I don't know who he is but he's a fine specimen of homo audaxensis. He did that thing of plodding along, seemingly at snail's pace, then finished well ahead of me. The sod. ;D

« Reply #1716 on: 08 August, 2015, 09:39:32 pm »
I thought tri-bars were frowned upon.

No, only in France.  Actually, tribars are great for Audax, giving lots of extra space to hang lights etc, adding extra riding positions, and as a route sheet lectern

« Reply #1717 on: 08 August, 2015, 09:39:58 pm »
I don't know who he is but he's a fine specimen of homo audaxensis. He did that thing of plodding along, seemingly at snail's pace, then finished well ahead of me. The sod. ;D

That's George.  He's busy growing old disgracefully.

« Reply #1718 on: 08 August, 2015, 09:46:23 pm »
Those are actually 'Spinaci' bars, I've got some Spinacissimi, which can serve as a platform for a bar bag, handy when you want the lights underneath.

as in this shot from PBP 2007.

« Reply #1719 on: 08 August, 2015, 09:56:14 pm »

That's George.  He's busy growing old disgracefully.

The native American Indians know him as the 'Sasquatch'... In the Himalayas he is known as the 'Yetti'.

red marley

« Reply #1720 on: 08 August, 2015, 09:57:14 pm »
Those are actually 'Spinaci' bars, I've got some Spinacissimi, which can serve as a platform for a bar bag, handy when you want the lights underneath.

They look more like Fisher Price My First Tri-bars to me.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1721 on: 08 August, 2015, 10:05:30 pm »
Mike Wigley's obituary Norman Maggs got me wondering how many of the 16 founder members of AUK are still alive. Looking at the list I can count Alan Sturk, Barry Parslow and Chris Davies who are still with us, and Ray Craig, Les Lowe, John & Steve Nicholas who have died.

Anyone know if any of the others are still alive?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #1722 on: 08 August, 2015, 10:26:46 pm »
Mine were the black and orange version, they are actually very useful.

« Reply #1723 on: 09 August, 2015, 12:07:08 am »
Luckily this forum doesn't have like buttons; I've wanted to "like" about half the post in this thread. 

And I like this issue of Arrivée.  I'm not even sure what the weirdos on FB are complaining about. 

« Reply #1724 on: 09 August, 2015, 12:24:55 am »
I liked Phil Whitehurst's article about WCW. He's right about rides being different when they matter. The criticisms of his Facebook post about wheel-suckers came from experiences of trying to complete rides in difficult conditions, in the early season, when you aren't fit.

Audax is a learning curve, and it's important to remember who you've learned from. Because you might be expected to do them a favour one day, to save a ride.