Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 477048 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2750 on: 17 March, 2021, 01:51:17 pm »
I generally don’t respond to clickbait like the original piece but did anybody else notice that only one respondent mentioned that ebikers were already allowed to ride BPs? Everybody else seemed to assume that ebikers were not able to enter and ride AUK brevets.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2751 on: 17 March, 2021, 01:57:16 pm »
I’m surprised that only supportive letters were sent to the publication, knowing the usual diversity of opinion we enjoy.

I put that down to "People who send letters" being a small, self-selecting subset of "People who hold opinions"... hardly a scientifically rigorous survey.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2752 on: 17 March, 2021, 02:33:08 pm »
Adding to those enjoying the blog, why wasn't it featured in the magazine though?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2753 on: 17 March, 2021, 03:33:26 pm »
The ‘Important notes for contributors’ on page 4 might give a hint.

« Reply #2754 on: 17 March, 2021, 06:08:37 pm »
I read that as if you are submitting something, they want to know who actually sent it (which seems reasonable) - not that nicknames or aliases aren't allowed inside the copy, or as a nom de plume on the printed page for the article.

I'm assuming there was a rejection note to HK (nice blog entry, by the way!) stating this isn't the case?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2755 on: 17 March, 2021, 06:14:41 pm »
The editor wanted to chop out and obscure sections of the piece. Nicknames in the story or as the author’s nom de plume was a no go. Title ditto. The editor knows who HK is but I don’t think he understands that everybody knew the AUK Chairman as Rocco but his real name was John.

« Reply #2756 on: 17 March, 2021, 06:17:26 pm »
OK, that is different to what the submission guidelines suggested. Especially on a piece like HK's, where the nicknames are actually relevant.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2757 on: 17 March, 2021, 06:38:54 pm »
Remember the fuss when Arrivee had a photo of someone everesting on the front cover?  Just wait till they learn you were doing an event TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY times shorter than a 200 km audax!  :o

Outrageous! All that space wasted on non-long-distance cycling that could have been taken up with yet another report on the Bryan Chapman.

Talking of fuss... I was intrigued by the 'Notes for contributors' on p4 and can't help wondering if that was inspired by disgruntled feedback. I wholly support Ged's stance on contributions. He's a very experienced editor who knows what he is doing.

Without wanting to comment on LWaB and HK's situation, it does sound like Ged's been getting some articles where the contributor hasn't heard of editing for length and clarity, and has made a fuss when not every comma is preserved.  Keep up the good work Ged! 

(Unedited versions of my articles, complete with bum jokes and inadvisable sarcasm, are available on request.)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2758 on: 17 March, 2021, 06:50:02 pm »
Editors come and go. I can wait this one out.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2759 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:10:26 pm »
Without wanting to comment on LWaB and HK's situation, it does sound like Ged's been getting some articles where the contributor hasn't heard of editing for length and clarity, and has made a fuss when not every comma is preserved.  Keep up the good work Ged! 

It's a tricky one. There's an argument to be had about what is the purpose of Arrivée. Not an argument I care to get too deeply involved in though.

Still, disappointing if a heartfelt tribute to a genuine AUK legend has been lost to the Arrivée audience over a petty disagreement.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2760 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:13:01 pm »
We know the editor has strong opinions on other “polarised” subjects. Who knows in this case when deciding which letters to publish?

« Reply #2761 on: 18 March, 2021, 08:45:42 am »
Cycling in general, and Audax in particular, has a proud and long history of creating “ nicknames “. It’s part of the glue that holds the community together. We aren’t unique in this of course; the reporting of many sports and activities is riddled with them.
Obviously, there needs to be a glossary, and an author’s name ( maybe followed by their usual nickname).
But, for me, a report that uses actual names for people known by their nickname starts to read more like a legal statement rather than something that captures the character and spirit of the experience.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2762 on: 18 March, 2021, 08:59:27 am »
There are certainly instances in which it's appropriate for an article to be 'anonymous' or under an established pseudonym. For example, most people would accept it on an article in which the author provided deeply personal information, such as about a medical condition. Similarly, it was once common for magazines to feature regular columnists who wrote under a nom-de-plume (although, in truth, it's pretty rare these days except where a publication has run such a column for many years and the original author is probably long dead and forgotten). Neither of those criteria generally apply to the kind of articles that appear in Arrivee and I find it hard to understand why someone would want to contribute something to the magazine yet conceal their identity from the majority of readers.

It's also worth remembering that AUK has grown considerably in recent years and the majority of members probably don't have clue (or care) who nicknames from a quarter of a century ago, or longer, refer to. Arrivee is intended as a magazine for all the membership, not a clique. So, as Giropaul says, if there are nicknames used in a piece, there should also be some explanation of who the relevant people are/were and, perhaps, how the nickname came about.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #2763 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:11:41 am »

It's also worth remembering that AUK has grown considerably in recent years and the majority of members probably don't have clue (or care) who nicknames from a quarter of a century ago, or longer, refer to. Arrivee is intended as a magazine for all the membership, not a clique.

This.
Unfortunately, 99% of the membership don't have an account on YACF, so you don't get to hear their voices. It is true that this seem to be a place for Audaxers with 4 digits in their membership number, who tend to go on about things nobody else has a clue about.

If the author thinks the story is worth publishing, then what is the big deal about putting their name on?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2764 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:30:26 am »
If you received a magazine which had duplicated/missing pages please email membership@audax.uk (with your real name!) and we can get a replacement sent. I have been in touch with the printers and we think it's only a small batch that were wrong, and knowing who they went to will help us track it down as they are put in envelopes in mailsort order.
Could someone who frequents Facebook please post the same message there.
Apologies for the inconvenience.
Caroline Fenton

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2765 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:36:54 am »

Could someone who frequents Facebook please post the same message there.

Done.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2766 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:42:45 am »
It was nothing to do with a YACF name. HK’s name is in the blog, so it isn’t a case of obscuring somebody’s identity.

This editor is behaving as if he is employing writers to produce articles for a magazine sold in the high street. Arrivee is written by and for the club’s members.

I can wait this editor out. I am in long distance cycling for the long haul, he is not.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #2767 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:54:51 am »
It was nothing to do with a YACF name.

I can wait this editor out. I am in long distance cycling for the long haul, he is not.

It's easy to complain, without offering an alternative. If you think you can do a better job, then you should put yourself forward to the board.
I was told that Arrivee is a magazine for the membership, which is roughly 7,000 individuals with various interests, which include, but not solely, long distance cycling. Articles of all sorts are accepted for publication, the majority are still about PBP, LEL, brevets and so on, but there are articles about how to bake a vegan cake, or how to climb a 3 minute hill fast once only, or slow 100 times. Things have somehow moved on from cover photos exclusively featuring a "depart" of ageing folks in baggy shorts and sandals with a Carradice the size of a aircraft-allowed piece of luggage. The organisation wants to grow and has to appeal to a new breed of cyclists, who might be interested in long distance cycling, but might not be obsessive about it.
You should at least be happy that the daring font on the cover has gone back to that of the golden age of the magazine, surely?

« Reply #2768 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:56:43 am »
Cycling in general, and Audax in particular, has a proud and long history of creating “ nicknames “. It’s part of the glue that holds the community together. We aren’t unique in this of course; the reporting of many sports and activities is riddled with them.

Also a hallmark of terrible exclusionary bro culture, which many sports are also riddled with.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #2769 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:23:27 am »

Also a hallmark of terrible exclusionary bro culture, which many sports are also riddled with.

Indeed...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2770 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:33:33 am »
I don’t feel a burning need to edit Arrivee (I would do a crap job, being a neophyte) and similarly don’t need to publish in it. There are plenty of alternatives to publishing articles in Arrivee, as increasing numbers of members are being encouraged to do.

Audax Oz eventually stopped publishing their magazine ‘Checkpoint’ a few years ago and their organisation still continues. A pity IMHO but obviously reflecting their members’ collective valuation of the magazine’s importance.

« Reply #2771 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:41:06 am »
I find this all a bit difficult to understand regarding hk article,  having read it more then once the only person not named is rococo and he being a former chairman (person) now as someone who knew rocco very well back in the day, i would bet 90% of the membership didn't know his real name back in the 1990s and he was known as rocco in all parts of his life.

Personally i think even now more people would of heard of rocco Richardson as opposed to John Richardson and unfortunately intended or not the editor as shown a total lack of respect for our late chairman .

P.s. if anyone wants to know how he got the name rocco p,m, as such a story may upset some.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2772 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:47:46 am »
Apparently ‘Black Socks’ was a problem. HK never found out his name.

Not including the official name of Liz’s 300 was a problem, though the brevet hasn’t run this century and no current member could possibly enter it.

« Reply #2773 on: 18 March, 2021, 10:53:35 am »
We could call him bobby and I think the 300km was simply the ruslip 300

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2774 on: 18 March, 2021, 11:15:09 am »
The point of the story was, it was her 300, and she was known via several nicknames by those who knew her well. The hook was linking and contrasting the history with a recent ride. Everything flowed from that.