Author Topic: Brompton front bag alternatives  (Read 18193 times)

Si

Brompton front bag alternatives
« on: 25 August, 2016, 01:44:38 pm »
Although the brompton front bags look very good I'm not going to spend more than the cost of the bike on a bag!  I have a front bag-frame, and was wondering if anyone else has adapted non-brompton-specific bags to go onto one of these?  Ideas for a good cheap(ish) bag that'll do the job but is easy to carry off the bike(assuming it'll still have the frame attached)?

Also, I've seen some brompton bags with a water bottle pocket on one side of their rears - does having a full water bottle in it alter the bike's handling at all?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Brompton front bag alternatives
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2016, 02:16:24 pm »
There's the excellent Kinetics front pannier rack, which allows you to use standard panniers, but that costs about as much as a Brompton bag.

The 'C' and 'T' bags have rear pockets which will happily take a standard 750ml bidon.  No effect on handling.  Indeed, the only effect I've ever noticed from an asymmetrical front load on a Brompton is when wheeling the bike.  It's a bit like rear panniers on a normal bike in that respect, as the load is on the bike frame, not the steering.

Bromptons do seem to handle better with the bulk of the luggage weight on the front, thobut.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2016, 03:12:57 pm »

I've bungied a 20L alpkit dry bag to the front rack of a Brompton. It works, but it's not the perfect solution.

I have an original T bag, and tend to cycle with 1.5L of water in the left pocket, I've experienced no issues with balance.

This is my Brompton last year in Luxembourg. No handling issues with the weight, tho it does get a little squirrelling as you approach 60. Other than that, tis fine.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2016, 03:13:14 pm »
Although the brompton front bags look very good I'm not going to spend more than the cost of the bike on a bag! 

Buy more expensive bikes.

Problem resolved.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Si

« Reply #4 on: 25 August, 2016, 03:37:44 pm »
tho it does get a little squirrelling as you approach 60.

Gulp!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: 25 August, 2016, 03:53:18 pm »

Gulp!

Are you approaching 60 Si?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 25 August, 2016, 04:54:27 pm »

Gulp!

66.7 on a Brompton is terrifying.

You can corner a Brompton at over 40, but you do need to stop and change underwear afterwards....

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Si

« Reply #7 on: 25 August, 2016, 05:04:17 pm »

Gulp!

Are you approaching 60 Si?

Yes, and hope to see 60 so won't be doing 60 on a Brompton!!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: 25 August, 2016, 08:36:05 pm »
My Brompton bag is a seconds from the Carradice factory. It was half price and looks perfect to me. Bargain!

« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2016, 03:34:29 pm »
I use a messenger type bag from a Spanish company called Demano. Been using it for 3 years now; and like it a lot.
Completely waterproof, no separate cover needed. Pretty roomy; can fit a 17 in. laptop easily. Plenty of colors/designs
to choose from. Has pockets on both sides that will fit a waterbottle. Not exactly cheap; paid US$175 I think in NYC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUrqZFjJV0&index=7&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA

2015 New York City Century by 1nterceptor, on Flickr 

PS, handling is not affected when a bottle is inserted in one of the side pockets.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 30 August, 2016, 03:52:40 pm »
Upso bags are pretty cool!
Getting there...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 30 August, 2016, 05:19:23 pm »
Somewhere on the interweb, somebody has patterns for sewing your own Brompton bag. Not something that has ever appealed to me.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Si

« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2016, 03:34:02 pm »
Somewhere on the interweb, somebody has patterns for sewing your own Brompton bag. Not something that has ever appealed to me.

Yep, I found that and quite fancied having a go but for two things:
- having to purchase a sewing machine
- having to find out that there was yet another thing I was crap at  ;D

« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2016, 05:03:41 pm »
Although the brompton front bags look very good I'm not going to spend more than the cost of the bike on a bag!  I have a front bag-frame, and was wondering if anyone else has adapted non-brompton-specific bags to go onto one of these?  Ideas for a good cheap(ish) bag that'll do the job but is easy to carry off the bike(assuming it'll still have the frame attached)?

Also, I've seen some brompton bags with a water bottle pocket on one side of their rears - does having a full water bottle in it alter the bike's handling at all?
My Carradice (3 kinds) and Karrimor saddle bags all fit without issue, even a Camper Longflap.
Other cheap single panniers can also be bodged-on

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2016, 05:53:15 pm »
Slightly off-topic (so feel free to delete), but I have a barely used Ortlieb Mini O bag in blue that's been queued for eBay sale for, er, the last 12 months since I sold my Brompton. Probably not big enough for your needs, but let me know if you're interested.

« Reply #15 on: 31 August, 2016, 10:32:54 pm »
let me know if you're interested.

If Si isn't, I might be.

Back on-topic, I've got the older version of the T-bag and think it's excellent. If I were in your position, of having the bag frame, I'd probably keep a lookout for a s/h one, or maybe one of the Carradice Stockport bags. Factory seconds do appear occasionally - ebay seller carradicefactoryshop is exactly that ...

Si

« Reply #16 on: 01 September, 2016, 04:43:33 pm »

If Si isn't, I might be.

Yep, a bit small for me so please feel free to play through!

« Reply #17 on: 02 September, 2016, 07:06:13 pm »

If Si isn't, I might be.

John! Let me know if you want the bag, via the usual channels. I'll throw in the cat fur that appears to have accumulated inside.

« Reply #18 on: 27 December, 2016, 11:02:18 am »
I have successfully adapted an Ortlieb sport (Front) roller bag for Brompton use.  it fits onto the Brompton Rear rack, and works better of you invert the bottom rail on the pannier.  The ortlieb bag also fits onto the Brompton Basket Bag metal frame which is able to be removed from the rest of the basket bag.  Note that these are not the back roller panniers and are considerably smaller.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #19 on: 27 December, 2016, 06:33:10 pm »
The Brompton O Bag (Ortlieb) is £156 at Evans (Free if you use Tesco vouchers at Evans like I did).

It's a heck of a bag, especially as it comes with 2 rear detachable pockets.  I think it's designed as a perfect "office bag" with Lap-top divider, wallet zips..etc.

Ortlieb build quality and waterproofness.

Si

« Reply #20 on: 31 December, 2016, 12:12:18 pm »
I've a solution....it was sitting down the side of the sofa all the time I was gazing at these expensive Brompton bags.  I found an old lap top case which I'd bought for £2 from a charity shop.  More or less dead on the correct size for the Brompton bag frame.  Bag tied on and it looks like it was made for the job, even has pouches at the rear that appear ideal for water bottles!  Various zipped compartments, bit flap over the top to weather proof(ish) it, shoulder strap, etc.  Will take it for proper test ride this week and post some photos if it all works OK.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #21 on: 06 January, 2017, 01:41:11 pm »
I've a solution....it was sitting down the side of the sofa all the time I was gazing at these expensive Brompton bags.  I found an old lap top case which I'd bought for £2 from a charity shop.  More or less dead on the correct size for the Brompton bag frame.  Bag tied on and it looks like it was made for the job, even has pouches at the rear that appear ideal for water bottles!  Various zipped compartments, bit flap over the top to weather proof(ish) it, shoulder strap, etc.  Will take it for proper test ride this week and post some photos if it all works OK.

Useful Bodge.  I have a Laptop bag or two.

Si

« Reply #22 on: 10 January, 2017, 03:20:07 pm »
Hopefully this pic will show OK apologies if not.
Here it is: with loaded within it: heavy D lock, bottle of water in rear pocket accessible from saddle,  tools, loads of paperwork, pump, spare tubes, bag of nails, etc etc.  It stayed very stable, even on rough cycle paths and sleeping policemen, and was also easy to use off the bike.  I've little doubt that the proper Brommie bags are top quality but for £2, some cable ties and a bit of sewing I think that this is a pretty good solution!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 10 January, 2017, 05:48:45 pm »
It's Head-branded too, so you'll be the envy of all the teenage boys from 1993.  ;D