Author Topic: Sun 28 May to Sun 4 June Avignon camping  (Read 13959 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Sun 28 May to Sun 4 June Avignon camping
« Reply #50 on: 03 April, 2017, 07:10:35 am »
According to the website Jen linked to that would be 83 euros from Monday to Saturday for a Cannondale "Sport Trekking" bike.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #51 on: 03 April, 2017, 07:14:48 am »
Why not get a fast train and then hire a bike for a few days?

http://www.provence-bike.com

Quick comment - Eurostar from London and almost all of the TGV trains stop at Avignon TGV station which is out of town by some distance/

(and I have replied to Canardly's PM with some info and experience - and Eurostar only runs on Fridays & Saturdays with one return trip each day - more frequent services start in June)

Rob

« Reply #52 on: 03 April, 2017, 09:28:24 am »
TGV station is 2 miles out of town.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

robgul

« Reply #53 on: 03 April, 2017, 01:55:06 pm »
TGV station is 2 miles out of town.

Ah - sorry, I was getting confused with the TGV station at Aix which is a greater distance from the centre of town.

Rob

« Reply #54 on: 03 April, 2017, 08:28:42 pm »
Thanks Rob seems to me as a novice that it is incredibly confusing at the best of times. Anyway, two miles suggests that pushing a stripped down tourer into a bike bag and everything else including panniers into a holdall is doable, if terminating in a journey by taxi to the campsite and sorting the bikes out there. Experiments in bike frame manipulation to follow. Wow has already started. Everything would be so much easier if train companies could rediscover guards vans. If we can find a suitable methodology we can think about reservations.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #55 on: 04 April, 2017, 09:10:38 pm »
I decided the faff of trying to deal with full size bikes was just too much, so we just took the folders on Eurostar to Avignon last year.  I think the best bit was opening the train door, stepping onto the platform, and having the heat just hit you.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

robgul

« Reply #56 on: 04 April, 2017, 09:38:39 pm »
I decided the faff of trying to deal with full size bikes was just too much, so we just took the folders on Eurostar to Avignon last year.  I think the best bit was opening the train door, stepping onto the platform, and having the heat just hit you.

Indeed the heat after an early, cold start at St Pancras in late-June was pleasant, although I didn't have a bike with me . . . and I felt really important with the (pre-booked) cab driver holding up a card saying "Mr Robert"   - obviously confused by the UK convention of first name, second name rather than French convention the other way round.

... and the station has one of those "walk up and play" pianos . . . when we were back at the station on our return journey a kid about 12 sat and played classical stuff just as Mozart might have done - amazing.

Rob

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #57 on: 04 April, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »
I still have the option of overhauling my Brompton and working out how to carry the luggage.

« Reply #58 on: 05 April, 2017, 11:23:30 pm »
Now steering towards light weight bike and back pack/ruck sack with single tent. Avignon should be warmish.

« Reply #59 on: 05 April, 2017, 11:24:57 pm »
One of the vagaries of older age is getting your strides on and off in a single tent which can be  a tad problematic.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #60 on: 06 April, 2017, 07:31:24 pm »
My Bike Sack arrived. I haven't tried fitting the bike in it yet but I have "offered it up" against the bike. I reckon that the bike will fit in easily enough with the wheels off and the racks on.

I think my preference is still to take the Thorn, because it's a much more comfortable ride than my Brompton. I hardly ever use the Brompton as a result. If I do choose to take the Thorn, Bob, you are welcome to take my Brompton.

« Reply #61 on: 06 April, 2017, 07:34:27 pm »
Mmmm seen a Hubba Hubba at a very reasonable price.........

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #62 on: 09 April, 2017, 09:34:56 pm »
My Bike Sack arrived. I haven't tried fitting the bike in it yet but I have "offered it up" against the bike. I reckon that the bike will fit in easily enough with the wheels off and the racks on.

I think my preference is still to take the Thorn, because it's a much more comfortable ride than my Brompton. I hardly ever use the Brompton as a result. If I do choose to take the Thorn, Bob, you are welcome to take my Brompton.

Well, once I took the rear mudguard off the Thorn fitted into the Bikesack pretty easily. The problem is carrying the bugger.

I'm looking into getting the ferry!

« Reply #63 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:40:46 pm »
Carrying a bagged bike any distance is a recipe for pain, frustration & self harm,  especially if carrying a holdall full of camping gear as well.  Luggage trolleys are your friend, if you can find one.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #64 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:20:10 pm »
Looks like we are heading towards Bromptons for this trip but trolleys will still be most welcome.  :thumbsup:

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #65 on: 17 May, 2017, 09:16:13 pm »
Today I bought Michelin Local 332 of Drome and Vaucluse. I fully expect now to read that Wowbagger and Canardly did the same thing today.
My folding bike fits into its folding bike bag. A quick repair on a known fault on the bike has been undertaken, I think successfully. I should probably give it more of a service before leaving.
I have started assembling a packing list in my head. My passport and E1whatever are up to date. Where are my tickets, in fact do I have paper tickets? Must update France on the Garmin. Need to start charging AA batteries.
I nearly bought a book on wild swimming in France, but I think I'll settle for the municipal pool by the campsite probably...
Blimey, going on holiday is complicated.

« Reply #66 on: 17 May, 2017, 09:39:35 pm »
Beaucoup de faff is taking place I can assure you. 28 Deg C today in Avignon. (During this time I am also trying to strip wallpaper in the lounge, being a man I can't handle the multi tasking stress).

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #67 on: 18 May, 2017, 12:06:32 am »
I have ordered (should arrive tomorrow) a Ravpower solar charger. It should be able to keep my 26ah battery charged and that ought to keep the phone and AA batteries topped up.

« Reply #68 on: 18 May, 2017, 06:44:55 am »
Beaucoup de faff is taking place I can assure you. 28 Deg C today in Avignon. (During this time I am also trying to strip wallpaper in the lounge, being a man I can't handle the multi tasking stress).

Surprised that you can manage to post about it ...   :D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #69 on: 18 May, 2017, 04:30:02 pm »
I have just been map-jibbling with the Garmin and have discovered that there's this little place a short potter north of Avignon called Chateuneuf-du-Pape. I'm sure I've heard of that for some reason...

« Reply #70 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:00:49 pm »
I was keeping that for another day...... Now a Bromton's bottle carrying capacity is............ Apparently CNDP is at the top of a very big hill.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #71 on: 25 May, 2017, 06:55:09 pm »
Well, Canardly and I are in situ and outside le Bar de la Mairie. Weather hot and sunny. Did not have the most auspicious of starts when some light-fingered git picked my pocket at Lille station and then put my wallet back in my pocket. When I came to pay for a drink on the train there were no notes left. Clearly not interested in cards.

I had just transferred €100 over, and I think there was about £100 in there already. Oh well, I should be more careful I suppose. Will probably reportv it to le gendarmerie le matin. Merde!

« Reply #72 on: 27 May, 2017, 12:09:12 pm »
Hmmm.  Bad news about the money Wow.   Quite surprised that the perp replaced the wallet though - they usually just discard the wallet having trousered the cash.   You were fortunate in your misfortune if you get my meaning.

I've had a wallet picked by having my jeans arse pocket slashed.   I didn't even know about it until I went for the wallet.   A friend has just come home from Tuscany and she had her purse taken from her bumbag which she wears on her front! 

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #73 on: 27 May, 2017, 08:18:17 pm »
Peli told me, after a google, that it is quite common to put the wallet back. There are good reasons. My insurance has a £100 excess. I have no proof whatever that the money was nicked. I don't have to go through the rigmarole of cancelling cards etc, which would force me to tell les flics because the banks would insist. So I would have to give up a morning of my holiday to tell a disinterested copper about my own carelessness just for a chance of retrieving £80 on my insurance. Hardly worth the bother. I do have 3 hours to kill in Lille in the way back so I will report it then. Moreover I am sure I know who the culprit was. I saw a youngish guy walking reasonably briskly around the station a couple of times  and as our train was called he followed us into the lift. He either nicked it then or while we were manhandling our luggage onto the train.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #74 on: 28 May, 2017, 03:08:31 pm »
Charlie est arrivé.