Author Topic: Route 66 between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge  (Read 1401 times)

Route 66 between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge
« on: 29 August, 2017, 06:05:05 pm »
Hi, anyone know how ridable the canal towpath stretch of NCN66 is between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge? I can see a few sections on Google Maps where roads cross the canal and it looks like very narrow gravel track with barely space for two people to pass. Will be touring that way on a Friday mid morning so may be quiet, but any local knowledge welcome! Thanks.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Route 66 between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2017, 06:43:35 pm »
Peter OTP, is our resident expert and has ridden the route many times in the past couple of years. Usually on 25mm tyres...

He's never mentioned any issues.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2017, 08:26:02 am »
Great stuff, thanks. I'll be on 25s so will give it a try, cheers  :)

« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2017, 01:21:17 pm »
M, you will be fine on 25s but there is a couple of points to bear in mind:-

Between T and HB there is a number of canal "drains", where there is a depression "surfaced" with cobbles to allow flood water to drain away.  These cobbles are wheel grabbers unless you are on fat tyres.  PLEASE don't try to ride them, it's not worth it.  Just get off and walk them.  It may also be a bit slutchy here and there but just take it easy.  There is a nice cafe at the park in HB (artisan, though) and there's also one just before you reach the park, on the left where there is a bike shop by the towpath.  Let me know how you get on!  I've actually done the route on 23s, too but it's not my preferred mode!

Peter

« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2017, 04:26:39 pm »
Thanks Peter, much appreciated  :)