Author Topic: Derbyshire Pie Run XIII 16 September  (Read 3229 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Derbyshire Pie Run XIII 16 September
« on: 05 September, 2017, 02:58:44 pm »
I've finally got around to organising another one of these.

If you're free on Saturday 16 September to meet at Derby train station around 10am, to go for a 40 (-ish) mile ride at no particular speed, with a view to eating a pork pie, do please come along.

More details, possibly even a route, shortly.

Paul.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Chris N

Re: Derbyshire Pie Run XIII 16 September
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2017, 10:26:01 pm »
Yes. :thumbsup:  Just trying to drum up others too.

« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2017, 04:35:09 am »
I'm in.  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2017, 01:11:50 pm »
'mupferit  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2017, 08:36:27 pm »
This is in my diary. That is the same w/e as the Melbourne Arts festival but unfortunately Melbourne is the wrong direction for the Pork Pies.

Paul

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:23:41 pm »
Likely route: https://www.plotaroute.com/route/489660

The plotted route starts and ends chez me in Little Eaton. The actual ride will be about 8 miles longer, because we'll start & finish at the main entrance (Railway Terrace) of the train station in Derby.

It's a bit hilly (there are good and bad chevrons on my OS version), but the plan is to have 2 stops* as a reward.

The first at the Coach & Horses in Fenny Bentley at mile 18 (22), at about 12:30pm. The plan is to make this a quick stop - maybe for a half and a packet of crisps.

The second stop will at the Holly Bush Inn at mile 35 (39), where there are pies ;D.

My +1 (work colleague) has dropped out, so it looks like it's chris n (+?), Luke, Kim and Campagman and me.

P :thumbsup:

(*the 2011 rule allows this)

« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2017, 02:55:47 pm »
I am in negotiations about this; but as it's been the first week of skool for my girls it's not looking massively likely, especially as I might be going out with my local CTC on Sunday. Maybe I'll make no. XIV...

Paul

« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2017, 12:05:28 pm »
I am in negotiations about this; but as it's been the first week of skool for my girls it's not looking massively likely, especially as I might be going out with my local CTC on Sunday. Maybe I'll make no. XIV...

Well, would be lovely to have you, but your girls come first.

And (so long as there are pies) there'll always be another DPR.

Paul

« Reply #8 on: 15 September, 2017, 06:21:11 pm »
Looks dry and cool tomorrow, with just a little breeze.

:thumbsup:

We usually push off by 10:30.

If you're intending to come but haven't declared yet, please let me know so I know whether to wait for you.

Chris N

« Reply #9 on: 15 September, 2017, 06:51:07 pm »
Sorry, not going to make it now. Had a rubbish week and can't face getting up at 5 to ride to the station. I'll have to find a pie somewhere local instead. Have a good ride. :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2017, 08:21:12 pm »
Sorry Paul, I don't think I'll be there tomorrow either. I've just got in after a 4 am start and I'm exhausted.

:-[
Don't ask.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 16 September, 2017, 12:13:48 am »
Well, I'm still coming...

Paul

« Reply #12 on: 16 September, 2017, 07:57:32 am »
Sorry, not going to make it now. Had a rubbish week and can't face getting up at 5 to ride to the station. I'll have to find a pie somewhere local instead. Have a good ride. :thumbsup:
That's a pity.
Sorry Paul, I don't think I'll be there tomorrow either. I've just got in after a 4 am start and I'm exhausted.

:-[
That's a first (and a pity)!
Well, I'm still coming...
That's a relief!

« Reply #13 on: 16 September, 2017, 12:29:53 pm »
I've dragged myself onto a Duffield bound train. I'll either intercept somewhere on route, or failing that, see you at the pub.  :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

Paul

« Reply #14 on: 17 September, 2017, 07:13:43 am »
Nothing unlucky about yesterday. Lovely ride. Quite hard in parts with 5 chevrons in all, this was probably the climbiest pie run yet.

We passed through Bradbourne, which may be a doubly thankful village (scroll down to the end of the linked page)

There were approximately 2 mins of rain, one of which had the decency to happen while we were under a very large umbrella at the Coach & Horses.

Having left Ashbourne, we covered a puerile mile; skirting Lady Hole, powering through Hole in the Wall before rounding the Knob.

Pics here. I was made up to find Luke in the pub. We settled on a new rule: if you've ridden 11 PRs, you can have the 12th pie without doing the whole ride! I'll be issuing DPR loyalty cards shortly. Retrospective stamping available upon evidence of riding.

I thought that leaving the pie bit till the end of the ride would make it easier to get past the post-pie feeling. However, I hadn't anticipated that the pub would stop doing hot food, even chips, by 3pm, so I may have to re-think that for next year.

Some walkers in the pub were so taken with the PR idea that they decided to adopt it. Keep an eye out for the Derbyshire Pie Walk. I wonder if I could franchise it?

Thanks to Kim and campagman for good company, and to Luke for his guest appearance.

« Reply #15 on: 21 September, 2017, 06:07:30 pm »
Nice, as always, to enjoy a pie with friends...  even if I did miss most of the ride.

DPRXIII by Luke Hayes, on Flickr
Don't ask.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #16 on: 22 September, 2017, 02:51:54 pm »
Nothing unlucky about yesterday. Lovely ride. Quite hard in parts with 5 chevrons in all, this was probably the climbiest pie run yet.

We passed through Bradbourne, which may be a doubly thankful village (scroll down to the end of the linked page)

There were approximately 2 mins of rain, one of which had the decency to happen while we were under a very large umbrella at the Coach & Horses.

Having left Ashbourne, we covered a puerile mile; skirting Lady Hole, powering through Hole in the Wall before rounding the Knob.

Pics here. I was made up to find Luke in the pub. We settled on a new rule: if you've ridden 11 PRs, you can have the 12th pie without doing the whole ride! I'll be issuing DPR loyalty cards shortly. Retrospective stamping available upon evidence of riding.

I thought that leaving the pie bit till the end of the ride would make it easier to get past the post-pie feeling. However, I hadn't anticipated that the pub would stop doing hot food, even chips, by 3pm, so I may have to re-think that for next year.

Some walkers in the pub were so taken with the PR idea that they decided to adopt it. Keep an eye out for the Derbyshire Pie Walk. I wonder if I could franchise it?

Thanks to Kim and campagman for good company, and to Luke for his guest appearance.

Are you sure that was Kim? That cycling top is a shade of black I've not seen her wearing before.  ;D