Author Topic: New pram tyres in 203 size  (Read 7338 times)

New pram tyres in 203 size
« on: 28 November, 2017, 11:58:15 am »
I get about a puncture a year on the bike, but the pram has now increased to two a month (record is 4 punctures in one fell swoop).  On the plus side I am now pretty good at fixing punctures.
As the twins will prob still be in the pram for a year I am looking to upgrade the tyres.  I am considering big apples and kids plus.  If it were just me I would go with the big apples, but my wife spends more time pushing the pram so would prob value the greater puncture protection.
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: New pram tyres in 203 size
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2017, 12:04:31 pm »
Go tubeless.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2017, 12:07:41 pm »
Go tubeless with hydro discs.

Or seriously, I don't remember ever getting pram punctures. Possibly the pram tyres were solid though, certainly push chair ones were. But I can't see any reason to value anything other than puncture proofness in pram tyres. Rolling resistance and wear would hardly be issues.

Having said that, I'm sure mother and baby type magazines are full of reviews of performance orientated pram rubber.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2017, 02:03:23 pm »
Go tubeless with hydro discs.

Or seriously, I don't remember ever getting pram punctures. Possibly the pram tyres were solid though, certainly push chair ones were. But I can't see any reason to value anything other than puncture proofness in pram tyres. Rolling resistance and wear would hardly be issues.

Having said that, I'm sure mother and baby type magazines are full of reviews of performance orientated pram rubber.

Suspect they are not because punctures are infrequent and folk ditch prams after single use.

Bought a new wheelchair tyre from my LBS (Bittacy Cycles, now no more).

I don't like solid tyres though my NHS wheelchair is so shod.

Suggest you look online.

Bike tyres are black and vulcanised. Wheelchair tyres (and presumably pram tyres but I don't definitely know) are made of 'non-marking' unvulcanised rubber, which is softer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2017, 02:10:49 pm »
Have a suitable redundant inner tube if you want...

« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2017, 03:16:26 pm »
Hi helly, kind of you to offer but I suspect a new one will be about the same cost as postage.  Also since I will be upgrading to handmade cotton tubulars...

« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2017, 03:23:41 pm »
Right, so, unpacking video soon to be uploaded to youtube.  Despite being labelled as "plus" they are not as solid as marathon plus, you can actually fit them on the rim! (Easier than the Kendas they replaced, lighter too).  Think I made the right choice, I can run them at max pressure to avoid punctures and the bumpy ride can be mitigated by the rear suspension.

(Only some of that is a joke)

« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2019, 09:44:53 pm »
If (like us) the pram takes the school run 2-4 times a day, you will wear through tyres at a rate of 4-6 a year!  I have embraced "cheap tyres off the 'bay" - can't afford tubeless!

« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2019, 08:08:38 am »
Am I missing something - why on earth would you need pneumatic tyres on a pram?  I appreciate that you've got twins, but is it really that different from a solo pushchair or pram?  4-6 tyres p.a. seems ridiculous, especially if you're also paying with the inconvenience of flat tyres every other week.  Just get some solid tyres, or ditch the pram for a model with solid rubber, and suck up the fact that it'll be a little harder to push (=a better workout for you and Mrs fd3). 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2019, 11:48:02 am »
In my (admittedly fairly limited) experience, most pram tyres are offensive to cyclists.  It's worse than wheelchairs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2019, 06:47:39 pm »
I don't know anything about the construction of the pram but I have pushed my mother's Silver Cross, which was suspended but had solid tyres, and sat in both solid and pneumatic-shod wheelchairs.

I'm admittedly five or six times heavier than a pram-bound toddler.

An unsuspended pram or wheelchair with solid tyres will transmit all the vibration from the road to the pusher's wrists. This is tiring and uncomfortable. This vibration is also transmitted to the arms/sides of a folding wheelchair, making it tiring to be a passenger.

The seat/mattress will be shock-absorbing foam but that's not all that's needed.

« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2019, 09:34:49 pm »
We had an emergency backup pram without the pneumatic tyres.  We could barely get it over the curb, couldn't handle any road imperfections, it was shite to say the least.
A model that is a pram (not a joggler - how on earth do they steer?) but takes 16" wheels would be ideal.