Author Topic: South Downs - First solo ascent  (Read 9212 times)

South Downs - First solo ascent
« on: 28 July, 2008, 07:30:47 pm »
The end is nigh for my mini-hatler powered stoker assisted ascents of Ditchling Beacon on the FNRttCs.

On Saturday morning he cycled his own bike all the way up Streat Hill, which is about a mile to the East of Ditchling Beacon. This is a tarmac road leading to Streat Farm, and goes up about as high as DB, but it is quite a bit steeper. (I can get up DB without a problem. I have yet to cycle up Streat Hill without stopping.)

Granted, he did stop quite a few times, but he didn't get off and push at all.

He's desperate to cycle down Ditchling, so much so that he had a bit of a strop at the Madeira Cafe a couple of Saturdays ago when I said we were catching the train back to Hassocks and not cycling back the way we had come. I also told him that he couldn't cycle up Ditchling on his own bike because of all the traffic, but that if he got up Streat Hill, and then cycled all the way along the top, he could cycle down the Beacon.

We weren't exactly prepared for this venture (as in, I was sure he wouldn't make it) so didn't have any water or any snacks. Two hundred yards along the top was enough for him this time.

Next time (in a couple of weeks) I will be better prepared.

How long before he's beating us up DB I wonder ?

Rust never sleeps

Re: South Downs - First solo ascent
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2008, 10:01:09 pm »
Hah! I knew it! Way to go, mini hatler!  :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2008, 05:53:19 am »
Chapeau :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2008, 07:25:53 pm »
He has got to qualify for Small Hatler now.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:36:48 pm »
He has got to qualify for Small Hatler now.
Granted.

He must be nearly three quarters my height now.

Henceforth he shall be known as Small Hatler !
Rust never sleeps

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2008, 10:59:31 pm »

Henceforth he shall be known as Small Hatler !

So, not "That wierd kid who's always hanging around you." TM SL3

;)

« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2008, 09:59:45 pm »
I keep trying to shake him off  ;D

Today he managed Streat Hill, along the top of the Downs to Ditchling Beacon and then down into Ditchling itself. That's the first time either of us have been down DB. It's rather fun.
Rust never sleeps

vince

« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2008, 10:07:30 pm »
Now you know why parents buy Tesco full sus specials and not Islabikes - it's the only way they can keep up.

Well done mini-H  8)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2008, 10:09:02 pm »
now how do you get up the hill when he is not there to push you up ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2008, 11:01:28 pm »
Cracking; well done Small Hatler.

:thumbsup: ;D :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 29 August, 2008, 08:55:03 pm »
Now you know why parents buy Tesco full sus specials and not Islabikes - it's the only way they can keep up.

Well done mini-H  8)
Yup. That'll teach me.

now how do you get up the hill when he is not there to push you up ?
Woolly,

Next time the three of us are on the FNRttC, I'll swap bikes and let you tow him up the hill !!   ;D

On the last run that went Ditchling way I was still subsidising him.

Rust never sleeps

« Reply #11 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:42:11 am »
An update. Mini-h made it up Ditchling on Saturday morning with the FNRttC crowd. He had one 10 second stop but otherwise all done in one hit and he even went past a few people. I sprinted away from him near the top so I could get a photo or two but he took this as a race and speeded up as well.

The yacf KOTM top was duly handed over which resulted in a BIG smile. (He didn't want to put it on right there but as soon as we got back to the caravan it went on, and stayed on all weekend.)

We had a necessarily long stop at the top (to enjoy Mr Legg's birthday celebrations) and then belted down to the Madeira Cafe for the long promised beans on toast and hot chocolate.

Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:44:29 am »
Well done mini-hatler.

If he can make it up Smalldean Lane at 2am without stopping I'll personally buy him a long-sleeved one!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:49:36 am »
Go Mini-Hatler! Sounds like soon he'll be waiting for you all at the top of Ditchling. "Come on, Dad, you're so slow!"  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #14 on: 26 July, 2010, 02:36:06 pm »
Chapeau

« Reply #15 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:03:09 pm »
Reaching the top.

On the way down.

Rust never sleeps

« Reply #16 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:34:27 pm »
I handed a much smaller version of this boy one jelly baby for each hand at the top of that hill, once upon a time. I like to think I played a small part in his success  :D

« Reply #17 on: 27 July, 2010, 11:10:48 pm »
I handed a much smaller version of this boy one jelly baby for each hand at the top of that hill, once upon a time. I like to think I played a small part in his success  :D
You did (play a part).

He still remembers both the gift and the giver.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #18 on: 27 July, 2010, 11:11:37 pm »
*warm glow*

:)

« Reply #19 on: 04 September, 2012, 11:06:08 am »
Bump.

Small-hatler's ascents of DB are no longer newsworthy now, but on Saturday he made it up Streat Hill (not as high but shorter and quite a bit steeper than DB) without stopping. Really impressed with that one. I didn't manage that until about three or four years ago.
Rust never sleeps

Toady

« Reply #20 on: 04 September, 2012, 11:28:38 am »
Tenuously related question, can I crave a bit of local knowledge?

Is it possible to ride a (road) bike from Falmer to Streathill Fm then down off the Downs there?  I can see a track on the map (past St Mary's Farm) but I can't tell whether it's cyclable.

I don't mind walking for a bit, here and there.

I'm trying to plan a route N from Brighton that doesn't go over the Beacon and avoids the A23;  (Not avoiding the Beacon in order to avoid hills - I don't mind hills - just to avoid going back the way I came).

« Reply #21 on: 04 September, 2012, 11:48:15 am »
Hmm, I see the track you mean but a) I usually turn off before Streat Hill farm and choose something more bridleway-ish because b) I'm usually on a mountain bike and less worried about the surface. The lower part, near Falmer, is certainly OK. The surface on some of the bostals down towards Plumpton is a bit rough / green. My instinct is probably OK if you're not on anything too fragile and willing to walk if you have to.

Do let us know how you get on - that might be an interesting addition to the way home alternatives!

« Reply #22 on: 04 September, 2012, 11:50:15 am »
Oooo. On Saturday we came within minutes of being able to answer your question. We stopped at the top of Streat Hill (which is eminently doable on a road bike, but beware the potholes in the tarmac), and considered whether we would head down that way. We didn't sadly, so I can't reliably comment. However, if you're careful I believe you could do it. It's mostly flat chalk and turf up there. If it's rubbly, it wouldn't be for long.

Once you're out at the bottom of Streat Hill take a left and an immediate right onto Streat Lane. That heads very North.
Rust never sleeps

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #23 on: 04 September, 2012, 11:50:42 am »
Toaders. Yes it is. Through Steathill Farm you carry on straight down the macadamed road. It is very steep downhill (and it's a right bugger cycling up it I can tell you!), single-track that will lead down to the B2116. Jink a left an right, and you're on to Steat Lane… quiet, nice carrying you further northwards.

Should add, Ditchling Beacon has been recently relaid with lovely smooth tarmac, just so you know.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Toady

« Reply #24 on: 04 September, 2012, 12:01:18 pm »
Thanks

So basically I can head North from here ( http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=535034&Y=109838&A=Y&Z=120 ) and get to Streathill Farm (may have to get off and push a bit, but I'm not riding a prima-donna road bike - so can take some bumps) and then whee down the big hill.

The other route I'm considering is Devil's Dyke/Saddlescombe.

Sorry to hijack thread.  As you were.