Author Topic: Which iPhone?  (Read 4525 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Which iPhone?
« on: 03 September, 2018, 01:49:03 pm »
I thought my four-year-old 5S was merely resting but it has died. It is an ex iPhone. If I hadn't nailed it to the perch...

So, looking for a replacement. Do I go cheap and get a 6S or should I push the boat out for an 8? Or go for the halfway house option with a 7? I would love to get an X but I don't have a grand to spare at the moment. What are the practical benefits of the higher number models? Are they worth it?

Tempted to go for one of the Plus options - I do so much mobile computing these days that the larger screen would be a benefit.

Anyone suggesting I should get an Android phone or other alternative will be given the silent treatment. Not interested. Don't even try to persuade me.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Which iPhone?
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2018, 02:45:16 pm »
I've got a 5 and Mrs GB has a 5S. Both are on their last legs.

They'll be replaced by second hand iPhone SEs when I get around to it. ~£190 for a 32GB unlocked model on eBay (with 1 year warranty) at the moment.

16GB is too small as there's only 4GB or so left after the OS install, which means I have to empty photos off all the time (don't use iCloud).

We both have iPhone SEs as work phones and are more than happy with them. Same size as a 5/5S. I don't need anything bigger.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2018, 03:07:19 pm »
I have the 7+. It's just about shirt pocket-able. Good size screen - a revelation after a 5. Very few things I've wanted to do and not managed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2018, 03:13:42 pm »
I looked at the SE but I'm thinking this is a good excuse to get something with a larger screen, which would definitely be a benefit.

I do use iCloud but even so, 16GB would be very restricting - especially if I can't rely on having a good data connection.

Leaning towards the 6S at the moment. Forgot the 7 and 8 don't have a headphone socket - it's not a dealbreaker but I'd prefer to have one. Sounds like the 6S would generally be good enough for my needs from what I've read. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise...

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2018, 03:21:40 pm »
This seems like a fairly comprehensive comparison between the 6, 7 and 8 -
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/01/12/apple-iphone-8-vs-iphone-7-vs-iphone-6s-vs-iphone-6-whats-the-difference/#2ec5c3e92e30

The 8's reputation for smashing is another thing I'd forgotten.

Definitely favouring the 6S. Only question is whether I go for standard or Plus...

IP67 would be good though. I suspect it was probably water that killed my 5S.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2018, 03:22:17 pm »
I still linger on a basic 6 and probably will until the battery life becomes intolerable. I buy outright so I like to get the milage of a handset. I have an SE from the mothership which I like (it's the chunkier iPhone 4 size) from a size perspective. I'm not sure I'd go plus, I'd image you've have to be careful not to vasectomize yourself if you stuffed one in your pocket and the screen size hovers between various impracticalities – it's neither especially portable nor large enough to be genuinely useful as a non-portable device.

It has 64GB, I like to keep all my tunes, books, etc. on it and not rely on data connections.

Horse for courses, though. I'm a pretty basic user – phone, texts, email, maps and GPS, book reading and browsing. I don't have, want, or need a bazillion apps and I can't be arsed playing games as there are too many books in the world waiting to be read.

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2018, 03:29:49 pm »
I'm not sure I'd go plus, I'd image you've have to be careful not to vasectomize yourself if you stuffed one in your pocket and the screen size hovers between various impracticalities – it's neither especially portable nor large enough to be genuinely useful as a non-portable device.

Yep, that's the only reason I'm hesitating about the Plus. The standard 6/7/8 shape has a noticeably bigger screen than the 5, so perhaps that will be enough.

Horse for courses, though. I'm a pretty basic user – phone, texts, email, maps and GPS, book reading and browsing. I don't have, want, or need a bazillion apps and I can't be arsed playing games as there are too many books in the world waiting to be read.

I use my phone for everything. The last 24 hours has been frightening, realising just how dependent I am on it.

Actually, reading is the one thing I don't use it for - much prefer the Kindle for that. Or even good old-fashioned paperbacks.

« Reply #7 on: 03 September, 2018, 03:45:02 pm »
My daughter says her iPhone 5S has become laggy with new OS updates.  How long before this happens to the 6 & SE?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2018, 04:01:37 pm »
My daughter says her iPhone 5S has become laggy with new OS updates.  How long before this happens to the 6 & SE?

The focus in iOS 12 is apparently on performance so may fix that. I downloaded the Beta at lunchtime so the jury is still out. 

ian

« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2018, 04:37:51 pm »
I'm not sure I'd go plus, I'd image you've have to be careful not to vasectomize yourself if you stuffed one in your pocket and the screen size hovers between various impracticalities – it's neither especially portable nor large enough to be genuinely useful as a non-portable device.

Yep, that's the only reason I'm hesitating about the Plus. The standard 6/7/8 shape has a noticeably bigger screen than the 5, so perhaps that will be enough.

I use my phone for everything. The last 24 hours has been frightening, realising just how dependent I am on it.

Actually, reading is the one thing I don't use it for - much prefer the Kindle for that. Or even good old-fashioned paperbacks.

I use a Kindle or old fashioned paper at home, but I read books on my iPhone when I'm travelling or just taking the train somewhere. A good book is the only antidote to Southern Trains. I wouldn't say it's a great reading experience but it's adequate and saves lugging around a pile of books.

Like most people, of course, I'm also utterly dependant on the damn thing.

I don't think I'd like anything bigger than the 6 and I actually prefer the SE for portability, though screen size is, of course, restricted.

« Reply #10 on: 03 September, 2018, 04:49:59 pm »
I don't think I'd like anything bigger than the 6 and I actually prefer the SE for portability, though screen size is, of course, restricted.
I changed to an SE from a larger Android phone for that reason. Whilst I'm glad I made the change, the screen size makes typing fiddly. The benefits outweigh the costs, IMO.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #11 on: 03 September, 2018, 06:27:44 pm »
New iPhones are announced next Wednesday. Even if you don't want a new new one, I wouldn't buy anything before then – prices for old models tend to be changed at these launches, too.

« Reply #12 on: 03 September, 2018, 06:49:39 pm »
New iPhones are announced next Wednesday. Even if you don't want a new new one, I wouldn't buy anything before then – prices for old models tend to be changed at these launches, too.
Indeed.
One of the new ones has a screen large enough to warrant its own postcode.
3 models due for release.
ETA - I've a 5SE, and am not jumping at any opportunity to increase in size. (Me, or the phone)

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 03 September, 2018, 06:50:18 pm »

While in many ways I like the idea of being off grid and uncontactable for a whole 10 days, it is a luxury I can't afford.

« Reply #14 on: 03 September, 2018, 07:02:58 pm »
Not sure about other retailers, but if you buy an iPhone direct from Apple (so off-contract, which is the sensible option...), you can return it no-questions-asked within 30 days if something better/cheaper appears in the meantime.

« Reply #15 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:40:22 pm »

While in many ways I like the idea of being off grid and uncontactable for a whole 10 days, it is a luxury I can't afford.

Buy a dirt cheap non smartphone to tyide you over. £15 will get you a good one.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #16 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:42:53 pm »

Isn't it usually quite a while after the announcement before they're available and then only to the saddos who queue up all night outside the store.

It's not a well known fact, but when Finestre, the Demon of Such Things, processed Steve Jobs for his eternity in Hell, she didn't just put him on a Microsoft helpdesk (Microsoft actually has a significant retail presence in Hell, their shops are exactly what you'd expect, damned souls literally do spend eternity trying to find their way back to the exit) she made sure that there are a minimum of 65,336 iPhone variants available at any one time. She also, not to neglect the other the residents of Hell, made sure that not one of them is actually available at any given moment. Of course, that's the sort of classy damnation skills that get you a four-bed executive townhouse with garage in Dress Down Friday, rather than a studio in Lower Clandestine.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:43:39 pm »
Currently have a 6S, it’s got a new battery under the battery replacement scheme, and a new screen under the “oh bollocks, I dropped it when I was taking it to have its battery replaced” scheme. Only screen I’ve ever had to replace  >:(

The 6S? It’s a great phone. There’s nothing that I’m missing in the new ones that makes me want to upgrade. *

I’ve just checked and you can use the onscreen keyboard to type “Alfreton”.

*apart from the totally weird autocorrxt
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #18 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:54:09 pm »
And if you type 'Alfreton' three times, you'll be transported there. Which is why I suggest you don't.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #19 on: 03 September, 2018, 10:01:02 pm »
I've got a 5 and Mrs GB has a 5S. Both are on their last legs.

They'll be replaced by second hand iPhone SEs when I get around to it. ~£190 for a 32GB unlocked model on eBay (with 1 year warranty) at the moment.

16GB is too small as there's only 4GB or so left after the OS install, which means I have to empty photos off all the time (don't use iCloud).

We both have iPhone SEs as work phones and are more than happy with them. Same size as a 5/5S. I don't need anything bigger.

£190 from giffgaff 2yr warranty ;)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #20 on: 03 September, 2018, 11:26:21 pm »
I have a mother ship 32GB 6S. Would probably prefer the bigger screen (cos my eyes are crap).

Also - even 32GB is barely enough once you put a bit of music on it. If I was buying personally, I'd not get less then 64GB - especially as iphone has no upgradability.

citoyen

« Reply #21 on: 04 September, 2018, 10:37:11 am »
Buy a dirt cheap non smartphone to tyide you over. £15 will get you a good one.

I have an old iPhone 4S that still works. I would just stick my SIM in that for the time being but it's the wrong size (4S uses micro SIM, 5S uses nano SIM).

Looked at what they have in the way of cheap phones at Argos - gobsmacked that you can now get a 3G mobile for as little as £7. Unfortunately, all the cheap phones at Argos also require micro SIM as well.

One question about cheapo phones from Argos: they're all listed as being attached to a particular network. Does that mean they're locked to that networK?

I've looked online for SIM adapters and apparently Wilko do one for £2.50, so that would probably be the best option for now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 04 September, 2018, 10:57:28 am »
One question about cheapo phones from Argos: they're all listed as being attached to a particular network. Does that mean they're locked to that networK?

This is why you buy from Carphone Warehouse - they keep a stock of generic unlocked phones (without network-specific bloatware), and just stick a pack with the relevant network's SIM in the parcel when you order one.

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 04 September, 2018, 11:09:06 am »
This is why you buy from Carphone Warehouse

Gotcha, thanks.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #24 on: 04 September, 2018, 11:42:55 am »
I have an old iPhone 4S that still works. I would just stick my SIM in that for the time being but it's the wrong size (4S uses micro SIM, 5S uses nano SIM).

Ask your provider for a new SIM (or buy one in a shop, they're usually a quid or so). With the network I'm on you can do the porting via txt msg. Works for both payg and contract.
Pen Pusher