Author Topic: Trans Am Bike Race 2018  (Read 3243 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Trans Am Bike Race 2018
« on: 12 June, 2018, 10:41:40 am »
Via a facebook group called 'Velomobile'. It would seem that one guy is so far in front it's not funny any more.

Updates HERE
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Trans Am Bike Race 2018
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2018, 10:59:28 am »
Tanking along at 35mph I am not surprised.... interesting back story though this thread here:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=137748&page=44

One of them didn't start riding his velo until about 6 weeks before the race!
Regards,

Joergen

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2018, 11:07:05 am »

I'm starting to think they should have a seperate classification for upwrongs and non conventional bikes. The two velomobiles are so far ahead it's getting a bit silly. The DF bikes had the advantage in the mountains, but now they are out onto the planes, the velomobiles are just going to leave everyone behind.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2018, 12:05:30 pm »
Bans Am Trike Race 2018.

LMT

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2018, 01:29:44 pm »
Dave Lewis is currently in third, he cranked out 647 miles at Sebring in his DF velo.

And there does not need to be separate classes, if people want to ride stuff designed over 100 years ago be my guest - that's on you. :demon:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2018, 03:07:14 pm »
Dave Lewis is currently in third, he cranked out 647 miles at Sebring in his DF velo.

Kraig Pauli seems to have over taken Lewis while he slept. Doubt he will remain in front for long tho.

And there does not need to be separate classes, if people want to ride stuff designed over 100 years ago be my guest - that's on you. :demon:

Nice idea. But does this mean that a race like this becomes simply a question of aerodynamics and tech, not about the rider? Doesn't that then push the barrier to entry up? a velo like Marcel's is best part of €7k before you add any fancy stuff to it. For many people competing in a race like this they can buy their bike, fly to the event, race it, and fly home for less than that.

Part of what I love about ultra endurance riding like this is it's largely about the human part of the equation. Sure there are marginal gains to be had for comfort or a weight saving, but even there shaving a couple of kilo's off the weight of the bike has been shown to effect finish time on something like the TCR by about 45 mins over 8-9 days. Having upwrongs and velomobiles in direct competition feels... unfair.

J
--

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2018, 03:53:33 pm »
There is no prize money, no medals.  Let riders choose whatever bike they want for the task.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2018, 03:55:19 pm »
There is no prize money, no medals.  Let riders choose whatever bike they want for the task.

Yep. Riders are competing to be the one who can say "I won the 2018 Trans am". To many that would be worth a lot.

J
--

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2018, 03:57:02 pm »

Yep. Riders are competing to be the one who can say "I won the 2018 Trans am". To many that would be worth a lot.

J

I am sure they are not competing for bragging rights. Besides only a very small number are competing for the win. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2018, 04:14:54 pm »

Agreed.  There are precious few events for non-traditional HPV riders (some of whom may not have the option of using DF bicycles) to compete in already.  You can always nerd about who was the fastest velomobile, recumbent, DF, fixed, etc. when analysing the results.

I like the AUK model of anything human-powered and road-legal goes, but with special awards for those using some specific technologies.  I suppose the geographical nature of long-distance riding in the UK makes for a more level playing field[1], which is why we don't have an award for unfaired cycles or DF bikes.

A categorisation system makes more sense to lower the barriers to entry when it's primarily an engineering competition, as in HPV racing.

[1] Or less level, in the geographical sense.  A typical UK audax has too many of the wrong kind of hills to gain much of a speed advantage with recumbents.

« Reply #10 on: 12 June, 2018, 06:14:47 pm »
I've been dot watching and following Facebook groups and fora and know a couple of riders personally. Frankly, who's winning isn't the most interesting part. The velomobile vs. upright thing is something to nerd out about if you're into that, but the human stories make the event. People getting lost in the middle of the night. Various mechanical and other mishaps and the ingenuity to solve them. The diverse reasons people take on the challenge. The kindness of strangers helping out riders who need it en route. The sheer guts some of the mid-field and back are showing just to keep going. All brilliant and often quite moving stuff. Completing the course is a wonderful achievement for anyone that does. Even just starting is for some. They're all winners as far as I'm concerned.

« Reply #11 on: 23 June, 2018, 12:23:32 pm »
Agreed.
The discussion about this amongst the dot watchers became quite unpleasant.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 23 June, 2018, 03:38:19 pm »
Bike races these days that are open to any kind of pedals moved vehicle should have separate finishing categories.

Clearly HPV's are more aerodynamic and because they are enclosed and are trikes will always be much faster. On our TT's we have separate winning categories for recumbents and HPV's and everyone is satisfied with that.

In the forthcoming Texas Overland Wheel race - 2,600 + miles - we will recognise any human powered vehicle. But, as said above, there is no money to be made and all competitors race for their own sense of achievement.

As for the TransAm, anyone who finishes that race is a winner.

« Reply #13 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:21:26 am »
Trans Am BIKE race.

Aero or not, they were trikes and are in a separate category.

The beauty of Nathan's lax rules means the event is self-policed which means I get to put the trikes in a separate category, so have no qualms in saying I finished 8th in TABR. :)

I've also won a HPV race so I'm not against them, just put them in a separate category.