Author Topic: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike  (Read 37082 times)

Re: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike
« Reply #125 on: 17 November, 2014, 10:29:50 pm »
Excellent episode, very entertaining.   Also, "[Inertia?] Anyone got a diary, not a diary, a dictionary..?",  "She can't half pull a truck"  made me smile.  And yes I think, the crash almost seemed like one of the best bits for him; possibly because he then knew he pushed to a limit,
(click to show/hide)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #126 on: 18 November, 2014, 01:31:20 am »
I had that Mike Burrows on the blower earlier being scathing about the aerodynamics, the tyres and one or two other things he'd noticed on the way.  Apparently he and Miles Kingsbury are trying to interest the TV company in getting Mr Martin and his mate to have a go at the multi-rider record at Battle Mountain - currently 73 anna bit mph.

I've also heard that the University of Liverpool have approached him as a prospective rider for their Battle Mountain machine for 2015.  Some of which actually now exists in RL rather than as a snazzy drawing inside someone's Babbage-Engine.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #127 on: 28 January, 2015, 09:56:46 pm »
Yet another Guy Martin programme. Looks like only two episodes. Starts Sunday:

Our Guy in India
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #128 on: 10 February, 2015, 01:21:34 pm »
Well, I really enjoyed his India programme. Watch it, it's still on 4od.

He's left his Royal Enfield in storage in Goa. He says he want to go back, pick it up and ride it home - Goa to Grimsby! I hope they make a tv show of that  :)

« Reply #129 on: 10 February, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »
"Me backside's givin' me a bit o' bother" :)

Interesting that he fell asleep while paragliding: different boredom threshold from most of the rest of us I think.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #130 on: 10 February, 2015, 03:40:58 pm »
"Bodge it and Scarper" building methodology.  No so bad if you're welding a Motorbike prop-stand, not so good if it's a 60-floor building. (I'm going to use B.I.A.S. as an acronym now).

Nothing I've seen so far makes me love him any less.  The India program ended with a rather nice bit of Guy philosophy on the value we place on possessions.

Goa to Grimsby by Royal Enfield? Can't wait.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #131 on: 03 September, 2015, 04:19:41 pm »
After his huge "off" in Ulster... an update from Guy on Facebook..

I don’t remember anything about the crash after headbutting the ground, but the Dainese and AGV stuff I was racing in was bloody brilliant. The leathers were cut off me, but there weren’t many scuffs on them. I headbutted the ground at 130mph, then skidded into a dirt field and catapulted off a few things. The impact I hit the ground with was massive. I was knocked out, but it’s a credit to that helmet that I didn’t suffer any damage other than a badly bloodshot eye. There are no rubbish helmets any more really, but I wouldn’t have wanted to be wearing anything other than my AGV.

"I’ve broken some vertebrae, but I’ve got to say the Dainese back protector did its job. It has a honeycomb aluminium core that was crushed by the impact, which is what’s supposed to happen, and it’s making funny noise if you flex it, but I crashed on Thursday night, I was operated on Friday afternoon and walking Saturday morning. I was in the shed the following Thursday. That back protector genuinely saved my bloody life.

"I might have come around at the trackside, because the marshals told people I was spouting the usual gibberish. I properly woke up in hospital. Then it was all the usual questions, Where are you sore? Does this hurt?
I was in Belfast Royal and I’ve never been more impressed by a hospital than I was by that place, all the staff were great.

I broke five vertebrae, but they bolted six together, from T4 to T10, because two are unstable, meaning there’s a chance they could move and damage my spinal column. They had to rod my spine because I broke my sternum too. Normally the front will hold the back together or the back will hold the front, but I had broken both front and back. My sternum is cracked straight down the middle, but that’s only cartilage so they don’t do anything to try repair it.
I broke five ribs and two metacarpals in right hand, too, and my hand’s been plated.

"I’ve been back at work a while, but I’m struggling with everything. Sharon, my other-half, thought I was an idiot for trying to go back to work so soon, but I’d spent nearly a week at home, and I had to do something.

"The surgeon had to move my shoulder blade muscles to get the metalwork in, then fasten them all on again. That’s what’s causing the most bother, the muscle not the broken bones. A lot of my work involves having my hands above my head, in the pit working on a truck above me, but I’m alright as long as I don’t overdo it. If it gets too much Moody or Belty give me a hand and I’m getting stronger everyday.
"Having a few days off work gave me time to think about what I want to do, and realise all things that have had to go on hold. I still want to race, but I’m not going to rush into deciding what or where I’m going to race.

This should be shown to all Premier League footballers and told to "man Up!!"

« Reply #132 on: 03 September, 2015, 04:26:05 pm »
I broke five vertebrae, but they bolted six together, from T4 to T10, because two are unstable, meaning there’s a chance they could move and damage my spinal column. They had to rod my spine because I broke my sternum too. Normally the front will hold the back together or the back will hold the front, but I had broken both front and back. My sternum is cracked straight down the middle, but that’s only cartilage so they don’t do anything to try repair it.
I broke five ribs and two metacarpals in right hand, too, and my hand’s been plated.

Ouch!  :o

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him."
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #133 on: 03 September, 2015, 06:28:04 pm »
Apropos which, "TT: Closer To The Edge" is being shown again tonight, 22:00, ITV4.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #134 on: 29 September, 2015, 01:14:53 pm »
Guy drives a road car, and is impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-8uAM4LWX0

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #135 on: 29 September, 2015, 05:21:53 pm »
Mr Martin and his chum Mr Miles have recently been spotted competing in the 24 hour pedal car race at Shenington.

« Reply #136 on: 29 September, 2015, 07:43:39 pm »
I enjoyed his review of the Ford Transit in the Sunday Times the other week.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #137 on: 07 July, 2016, 11:34:11 am »
“Guy has completed the 2016 Tour Divide in 18 days & 6 hours – describing it as ‘the toughest thing I’ve ever done – bloody brilliant. 2,712 miles, 185,000ft climbing, brtual”

150 miles a day, 10,000ft of climbing every day.  That is not dicking about.

Guy Martin's autobiography is called... wait for it...

"Guy Martin.  My Autobiography".

Of course it is.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #138 on: 07 July, 2016, 10:44:39 pm »
"When You Dead, You Dead" is volume 2; volume 1 was the snappily-titled "My Autobiography".

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #139 on: 19 July, 2016, 02:17:15 pm »
Not sure he read the design brief for Speedway Bike correctly.

What could be safer than having a steel spike as a back-rest during a Speedway race?

I suppose it may prevent "draughting".

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #140 on: 19 July, 2016, 02:31:31 pm »
There is to be a third series of "Speed With Guy Martin" :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #141 on: 20 July, 2016, 07:49:54 am »
There is to be a third series of "Speed With Guy Martin" :thumbsup:

We need him to do a Hollywood/Reeves/Bullock 'Speed' but in a 'Mythbusters' style.

Get him to see if he can roll around under a trundling Routemaster whilst laying on a SnapOn tools mechanics back board whilst defusing a bomb. See how fast they can go whilst maintaining manual dexterity to not fuck it up.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #142 on: 01 August, 2016, 08:33:36 pm »
Not quite as above but it seems Guy will be piloting a 1000bhp Triumph streamliner at Bonneville.

The Triumph Infor Rocket features a carbon Kevlar monocoque construction with two turbocharged Triumph Rocket III engines producing a combined 1000bhp @ 9000rpm. The enclosed motorcycle is 25.5 feet long, 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall, and runs on methanol. Guy will run the Rocket in the Division C (streamlined motorcycle) category.

Is this the project Mr. Larrington couldn't divulge the details of I wonder?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #143 on: 02 August, 2016, 08:22:42 am »
No, he's off to Bonneville this week, though just for testing ATM as Speed Week rules require a steel roll cage irrespective of whether a machine has something stronger built into the compressed soot structure.

Some old boy who was tilting for the same record got killed utterly to DETH after a 200 mph crash the other day; some kind soul showed Mr Martin the story.  Quoth the besidied one: "What a way to go, eh!"  He's hoping for 400 mph :o

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #144 on: 10 August, 2016, 09:33:07 am »
I just finished his Autobiography.

The only time he's been "proper scared" was trying to break the British cycling speed record.
He knew he was going to crash at around 100mph, totally convinced of it, and yet he went ahead anyway.

He didn't crash.

As far as Bonneville in concerned, you just have to hope that, if you crash, you slide and that nothing digs in.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #145 on: 10 August, 2016, 10:20:00 am »
274mph and that's just for openers.
VELOMANCER

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #146 on: 10 August, 2016, 10:37:30 am »
Spot on!

He was trying to persuade Tom the Producer that they ought to do Battle Mountain too (by pointing at Yours Truly and informing him that "this bloke's been to Battle Mountain thirteen times1!") but I think the timing will be wrong for him to pop in on the way home from Bonneville this year.

1: Actually only 12 until next month.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #147 on: 10 August, 2016, 11:38:08 am »
Slightly OT. Is there anything available on download or disc about Battle Mountain? Or is it not sexy enough...?
VELOMANCER

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #148 on: 10 August, 2016, 01:44:55 pm »
There's some odd bits and pieces on YouThing but you'll probably have to wait a bit until Mr Obree's film comes out on DVD for anything substantial.  The film that Neal Someone and Claudia Someone-Else were working on seems to have quietly slipped beneath the waves.

« Reply #149 on: 06 September, 2016, 03:07:26 pm »
Just watched Speed S3 E1. Enjoyed it obviously, but prefer it when he's trying to break a record rather than entering a race. Especially when the "Race" in question is so bizarre!