Author Topic: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike  (Read 36894 times)

Re: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike
« Reply #225 on: 18 September, 2017, 08:14:18 pm »
It was a pity that in their trailers for the show, Channel 4 said that GM was the first amateur to try to get a place on a F1 pit team.
He's a fully trained and time served HGV mechanic, so hardly a novice at that sort of stuff.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #226 on: 24 September, 2017, 06:13:14 am »
Saw on Facething the other day that he's back at Bonneville for the motorcycle speed record wossname.  I may have called him a rotter for not popping into Battle Mountain to say hello; it's only 200 miles away which is practically next door by USAnian standards.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #227 on: 25 September, 2017, 02:04:06 pm »
It was a pity that in their trailers for the show, Channel 4 said that GM was the first amateur to try to get a place on a F1 pit team.
He's a fully trained and time served HGV mechanic, so hardly a novice at that sort of stuff.

The show was mostly about his becoming quick enough at putting his tyre onto one corner of an F1 car though.  There really wasn't a lot of HGV experience required, just the ability to lift a tyre onto a big wheel nut without taking more than about 0.5 seconds about it.

He was, as he always is, full of enthusiasm.  He's a person who gets all the joy he needs from life as long as he has a cup of tea, some spanners, and something mechanical to fettle.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #228 on: 25 September, 2017, 02:07:31 pm »

The show was mostly about his becoming quick enough at putting his tyre onto one corner of an F1 car though.  There really wasn't a lot of HGV experience required, just the ability to lift a tyre onto a big wheel nut without taking more than about 0.5 seconds about it.

He was, as he always is, full of enthusiasm.  He's a person who gets all the joy he needs from life as long as he has a cup of tea, some spanners, and something mechanical to fettle.

Sufficient gloves would be useful, mind.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #229 on: 25 September, 2017, 10:04:57 pm »

I have something in common with him...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #230 on: 20 November, 2017, 06:44:06 pm »
Poo on Lincoln polis for not letting Mr Martin drive his tank on that city's streets during the Remembrance Day parade >:(  Interesting prog, though.  Grandpa Larrington was a mechanic on the originals.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #231 on: 21 November, 2017, 08:25:17 pm »
Grandpa Larrington was a mechanic on the originals.
Full-time job by the sound of it.

I'm glad Lincoln said "no".  It was much more fitting where it finally took place I think. Much more fitting where it took place.

[/GuyMartinMode]

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #232 on: 27 November, 2017, 09:10:32 am »
Last night's show about autonomous vehicles was interesting.

Brave boy, handing over his beloved Transit to a bunch of engineers. Mind you, he mentioned that his approach would've been to go faster and faster until 'it ended up on its roof!'

Mad as a cut snake . . .
VELOMANCER

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #233 on: 27 November, 2017, 12:35:43 pm »
His programmes should carry sub-titles. Or, at the very least, he should have an interpreter alongside him – which would be funny!!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #234 on: 27 November, 2017, 03:34:54 pm »
Going back to the pit stop programme, I saw a stat today that the fastes stop of the past season was McLaren with a stationary time of 2.31 seconds for a 4 tyre change.....

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #235 on: 28 November, 2017, 04:42:43 pm »
His programmes should carry sub-titles. Or, at the very least, he should have an interpreter alongside him – which would be funny!!!

Why?  He's just from Grimsby. I say he's just from Grimsby.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #236 on: 28 November, 2017, 07:51:33 pm »

Eh?
VELOMANCER

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #237 on: 04 December, 2017, 02:05:01 pm »

Eh?

I believe, with your "Eh?" Torsers, the implication is you're a northerner!? And before anyone goes off on a norther-versus-southerner campaign, I can understand northerners – just not Guy Martin. Most of the time. When he talks it's as if he stringsasentencealltogetherinonesingleline. Fact.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #238 on: 04 December, 2017, 02:49:12 pm »
 ;D
VELOMANCER