Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 445601 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2150 on: 24 October, 2020, 07:51:56 pm »
It is usually a good idea to put the jug into the filter coffee maker before turning it on.
Going back to bed to wait for the coffee to brew does not help the situation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N0ME209/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_wEhLFbHYQ8PQD

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2151 on: 30 October, 2020, 09:54:03 am »
Divvery suspected in the VPN thread confirmed :-(

I've been logging into plusnet periodically to see if there's anything that could do to improve my connection speed, mainly the upload due to WFH self to self emails for the porpoises of printing, scanning & diffpdf.  Yes there is but it nearly doubles the cost of my package making my line + BB cost approaching £60 a month.  Too much.  Grumble, log out, repeat in 2 months.
Except that the fibre packages include line rental, my current deal does not.  Subtract the £30 pcm I'm paying to BT and it all looks rather different.
Fill out the online switch form and the cost came down a bit but I was nervous about losing my number so before pushing the button I called.
And talking to a human the cost came down more.

From £16+£30 a month to £23 a month for 2 years with upload speed in the range x4 to x8  :thumbsup:

What. A. Berk.

(I do of course have to survive the switch process, preferably with my sanity)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2152 on: 05 November, 2020, 10:03:53 am »
If someone sells you a bike light explicitly stating in the advert that the reason they are selling it is that they find the battery life unsatisfactory for their purposes, it is probably a good plan to make sure that the battery is fully charged up before you use it...

citoyen

« Reply #2153 on: 05 November, 2020, 10:14:16 am »
Filled a homebrew fermenting vessel with caustic soda* for cleaning purposes. Left it to soak. Came back a few minutes later to find water all over the kitchen floor....

Seems I hadn't fitted the tap properly. Luckily it was a pretty weak solution.

*it's what I had handy, should probably order in some VWP

ian

« Reply #2154 on: 05 November, 2020, 10:29:58 am »
Put in back in the barrel. You're halfway to successfully brewing Stella.

citoyen

« Reply #2155 on: 05 November, 2020, 10:30:19 am »
Put in back in the barrel. You're halfway to successfully brewing Stella.

;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2156 on: 05 November, 2020, 10:34:52 am »
Filled a homebrew fermenting vessel with caustic soda* for cleaning purposes. Left it to soak. Came back a few minutes later to find water all over the kitchen floor....

Seems I hadn't fitted the tap properly. Luckily it was a pretty weak solution.

*it's what I had handy, should probably order in some VWP

Wait till you start shifting 2 tons of beer from the copper to an FV, and you get about 100l in before realising someone forgot to close the tap on the FV and you have to run across the wet brewery to close the tap.

There are two types of brewer, those who have done this, and those who will...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #2157 on: 05 November, 2020, 11:38:15 am »
There are two types of brewer, those who have done this, and those who will...

One of the reasons it's best I keep it small scale. I would be absolutely guaranteed to do this more than once.

ian

« Reply #2158 on: 05 November, 2020, 01:16:27 pm »
It could be worse.

There was also the infamous London Beer Flood of 1814 where a small tsunami of beer through the crowded streets of St Giles killed eight people.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2159 on: 05 November, 2020, 02:36:40 pm »
It could be worse.

There was also the infamous London Beer Flood of 1814 where a small tsunami of beer through the crowded streets of St Giles killed eight people.

Drowned in beer that's how I'd like to go, as opposed to pickled in cheap red wine ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2160 on: 05 November, 2020, 03:22:26 pm »
It could be worse.

Paging the Little Dutch Boy...

And the great Boston molasses flood of 1919.

Apparently they were making munitions with it.

ETA: this account looks more entertaining. https://youtu.be/iMPGm3OSvMg
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #2161 on: 05 November, 2020, 03:26:23 pm »
It could be worse.

The woman attempting to catch the spillage in a jug is nothing if not optimistic.  ;D

I have to say this video is a strong argument against keg beer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2162 on: 05 November, 2020, 03:32:55 pm »
My own bit of divvinity today: Using the wee Katsu edge trimmer I rounded over the edges of the chopping-board I've just made.  Unfortunately I didn't tighten the locknut on the base clasp - in theory I shouldn't need to, but Katsu being a cheap knock-off I really should have. Anyway, for 7 edges it was perfect but on n°8 it slowly descended about a millimetre and took an unwanted rebate out of the top of the board.  Going to have to saw off the entire side and do it over. One is pissed off.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2163 on: 05 November, 2020, 04:44:43 pm »
My own bit of divvinity today: Using the wee Katsu edge trimmer I rounded over the edges of the chopping-board I've just made.  Unfortunately I didn't tighten the locknut on the base clasp - in theory I shouldn't need to, but Katsu being a cheap knock-off I really should have. Anyway, for 7 edges it was perfect but on n°8 it slowly descended about a millimetre and took an unwanted rebate out of the top of the board.  Going to have to saw off the entire side and do it over. One is pissed off.

I feel your pain - I failed to lock the plunge on the router in my table - the 6mm slot I was routing caused the router lift bit to rise and there's a hole near the end of the slot  >:(      [Now have a Dymo label on the fence of the table "Lock Plunge" ]

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2164 on: 05 November, 2020, 05:02:41 pm »

I feel your pain - I failed to lock the plunge on the router in my table - the 6mm slot I was routing caused the router lift bit to rise and there's a hole near the end of the slot  >:(      [Now have a Dymo label on the fence of the table "Lock Plunge" ]

If I had a pound for every time that's happened to me in the last 30 years...  that, and starting my wee Bosch router with the locking bar still through the spindle. Says a lot for it that it didn't even stink of hot insulation.

I love routers, but I still find them terrifying.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2165 on: 05 November, 2020, 05:10:04 pm »

If I had a pound for every time that's happened to me in the last 30 years...  that, and starting my wee Bosch router with the locking bar still through the spindle. Says a lot for it that it didn't even stink of hot insulation.

For reasons I'm not quite sure of, table saws terrify me more than routers...

J
--

« Reply #2166 on: 05 November, 2020, 05:58:19 pm »
If someone sells you a bike light explicitly stating in the advert that the reason they are selling it is that they find the battery life unsatisfactory for their purposes, it is probably a good plan to make sure that the battery is fully charged up before you use it...
Sorry!

robgul

« Reply #2167 on: 05 November, 2020, 07:02:51 pm »

J

Yep - my table saw is worrying . . .  although since I bought a track-saw I've not used it anywhere near as much.   What's even more concerning is the YouTube vids from the USA that you see with no blade guard ... and the use of the "dado stack" to cut slots  (I understand that here/in the EU it's illegal to run an unguarded table saw and the saws we can (normally) buy don't have a spindle for a dado stack)

« Reply #2168 on: 06 November, 2020, 04:31:02 pm »
Sorry!
Entirely not your fault - this is the "I'm such a div" thread, after all.
(I'd used it once and didn't charge it before going out again...)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2169 on: 06 November, 2020, 05:01:12 pm »

J

Yep - my table saw is worrying . . .  although since I bought a track-saw I've not used it anywhere near as much.   What's even more concerning is the YouTube vids from the USA that you see with no blade guard ... and the use of the "dado stack" to cut slots  (I understand that here/in the EU it's illegal to run an unguarded table saw and the saws we can (normally) buy don't have a spindle for a dado stack)

Illegal in professional workshops, I suppose.  I run mine without quite a lot because the wretched guard is designed to stop you seeing what you're doing.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2170 on: 06 November, 2020, 07:02:00 pm »
Illegal in professional workshops, I suppose.  I run mine without quite a lot because the wretched guard is designed to stop you seeing what you're doing.

Illegal to sell. You can take the guard off if you want, but it has to be sold with it in .EU.

There's lots of other rules about it. That make it a lot safer here. US table saw use scares the crap out of my on youtube...

J
--

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2171 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:33:59 pm »
Most H&S laws were brought in to stop exploitation of workers by unscrupulous managers he’ll bent on cutting corners to save a few pennies.  Unguarded table saw use is like a lot of safety stuff, if you know what ou are doing and proceed with caution it’s not unsafe.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2172 on: 06 November, 2020, 11:03:00 pm »
"Unsafe" is somewhat subjective.

The legislation is not there to protect those who understand the risk and know what they are doing, but to protect, as an example, the young apprentice who being only 16 does not have a fully developed appreciation of what risk really means
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

« Reply #2173 on: 07 November, 2020, 08:16:37 am »

Illegal to sell. You can take the guard off if you want, but it has to be sold with it in .EU.

There's lots of other rules about it. That make it a lot safer here. US table saw use scares the crap out of my on youtube...

J

It surprises me that there isn't some sort of interlock on the guard to stop the saw being used without it - the planer/thicknesser I have has a couple of micro-switches that the guard activates in either operating mode.

A US (or may have been Canadian) YouTube video I watched the other day mentioned that a table saw had a "flesh detector" that stopped it instantly if it sensed fingers or any other part of the body  - not sure if it was a spoof or for real?

« Reply #2174 on: 07 November, 2020, 09:32:37 am »
The only system I know that does that (there may be others that do it differently) isn't as good as it looks.

The promo video gives the impression, I feel, that it's resettable. Detects finger, stops blade, and then after a reset you can carry on.

Not quite. I'm not sure how the detection step works, but the stop the blade aspect basically uses a small explosive charge to launch a lump of metal into the blade to make it slam to a stop. I guess even the fanciest brake wouldn't be fast enough.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1