Author Topic: Arrivée arrived  (Read 14208 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Arrivée arrived
« Reply #50 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:37:14 pm »
Grr: "100th anniversary issue"

ITYM "100th issue. 25th anniversary."

That made me Grrr too. Glad I'm not alone.
The pedant in me wonders if they somehow got a correspondent's name wrong and was not happy with the use of the word 'amount'.

Otherwise I look forward to reading it. I may even consider submitting something if only I could write anything even remotely interesting. :)

The other way I'd like to repay AUK this year is to offer my services to help out with an Audax, such as sitting in a cafe control (or even the roadside) for 5 hours with a stamp and a grimace smile.

I do what I can but I really can't do much. :( :(

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #51 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:47:34 pm »
A homage to the single gear and the single life ::-)

There's a very good photo of you on your trike on page 35. I laugh every time I see it.

It looks like Tim had a bit of a time of it putting this one together. He printed some of my Middle Road article twice, then missed the last bit.
He also appears to have missed a few words/sentences from my other article, and it looks like he's done the same with a few others too.

It's a shame that Tim was short of material for Arrivee. I think that a lot of this forum's RRs should be sent to Arrivee. I don't always have time to read them on this forum and they get buried and forgotten in time. This forum is a constant flow, but Arrivee is more stagnant and forgotten articles can be redicovered easily. Also, not everyon in AUK is on this forum. It's a shame that we keep them here, to ourselves and don't send them to Arrivee. It doesn't have to be a long article. I remember when Arrivee was in the A5 format and some articles were only one page.
So next time you do a RR, I hope that you consider sending a copy for Arrivee.
Otherwise, it will be flooded with my rubbish again. I have one written and may get another done for the next edition. You have been warned.

Funny you should say that Steve, I have just posted a thread requesting that we all do just that  ;D

« Reply #52 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:02:37 pm »
I like the idea of the article about "not randonneuring" upthread :)

If When I finish the BCM next weekend I may write that up...

border-rider

« Reply #53 on: 13 May, 2008, 01:26:01 pm »

There's a very good photo of you on your trike on page 35. I laugh every time I see it.

It looks just like he did on the Rural South last year, just coming out of Burghclere :)

But only for a moment.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 13 May, 2008, 04:00:22 pm »
FWIW I don't think there's anything wrong at all with the current website  :thumbsup: it's one of the most user friendly ones I visit.

I am happy to 2nd that (e)motion.

It's a bit unfunky, not very bling, but it's very functional. (And unlike more glamorous sites, I suspect it would work with smaller screens etc).

I fear too much glitzing it up may just make things worse.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #55 on: 13 May, 2008, 04:25:58 pm »
I've just reread one of the articles from about 10 years ago,,

What a very good read! Brim-full of timeless topicality! Thanks John.

Ooh, just realised about "insert quote" thing...

I still don't know if I'm happy with it.

Very glad you didn't wait until you were certain!

There was a thread elswhere with some brilliant Audax poetry. There was enough there to keep Arrivée's poetry corner going for years Just a thought.

I think it's still there. It was going better and better...  well worth resurrecting!

« Reply #56 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:42:42 pm »
[When I used to write more than I do now, I found it useful to write a first draft, then leave it for a couple of months. Then I'd look at it again,
One thing has occurred to me. There was a thread elswhere with some brilliant Audax poetry. There was enough there to keep Arrivée's poetry corner going for years Just a thought.

I write my articles, then leave them before going over them again and re-writing them. The last one I wrote about last season, I wrote the first few pages about 3 times. I never really got goin on that article and the whole thing was a struggle for the first few months. Although my brain was pretty addled after all the cycling i did.
I've re-read some of my old articles too and would write them differently now. I still think I have some way to go as far as my writing goes. But' I enjoy writing the articles and people seem to enjoy reading them, so i just keep going.
I never saw the poetry either and I'm on the forum, so what chance does anyone who is not on the forum have? It's a shame that it is missed.

Maybe we could have a direct link to Arrivee on this forum, so that if someone does a RR, they can also send it direct to Arrivee if they wish.

Treewheeler

« Reply #57 on: 13 May, 2008, 11:10:23 pm »
Don't you dare get into poetry Toothy, I would be forever in sleep deficit trying to read it... ;)

« Reply #58 on: 16 May, 2008, 01:35:40 pm »
Could we perhaps have the last few paragraphs of TGs report I wonder?

Any chance of a reprint on these pages, then?  :)

Have just been left in suspense wondering if the intrepid bunch make it safely back to MK...

...actually I know that they did, but like in all good films the fact you know how it ends doesn't stop the enjoyment.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #59 on: 19 May, 2008, 11:27:45 pm »
I want to read the end, as well!  And I was there ;D

« Reply #60 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:23:48 pm »
I'll send it to Tim with my next article. I'm not even sure that Tim knows about the error yet.
But, I do take bribes for sneak previews.

Chris S

« Reply #61 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:33:30 pm »
So, I finally got around to reading the latest issue. Nothing like an injury to help one with the old reading backlog.

I was enjoying Sonya Crawford's PBP article, when the following phrases really caught my attention (actually - I almost choked on my Horlicks):

"The four of us sat in front of a glorious log fire and enjoyed hot drinks and good crack."

followed a little later by

"The Crathe Hotel was a haven, another log fire where we were able to dry a lot of our clothes, the best omelettes I have ever tasted, and more good crack."

Now - is this code for some North of the Border ritual, or am I missing out on something when audaxing, only nobody has ever offered me crack - good or bad?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #62 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:36:22 pm »
So, I finally got around to reading the latest issue. Nothing like an injury to help one with the old reading backlog.

I was enjoying Sonya Crawford's PBP article, when the following phrases really caught my attention (actually - I almost choked on my Horlicks):

"The four of us sat in front of a glorious log fire and enjoyed hot drinks and good crack."

followed a little later by

"The Crathe Hotel was a haven, another log fire where we were able to dry a lot of our clothes, the best omelettes I have ever tasted, and more good crack."

Now - is this code for some North of the Border ritual, or am I missing out on something when audaxing, only nobody has ever offered me crack - good or bad?

Crack?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:42:14 pm »
We have craic but not crack.

« Reply #64 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:49:52 pm »

A Northern Irish friend of mine insists that 'crack' is perfectly acceptable in English.

« Reply #65 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:01:05 pm »

A Northern Irish friend of mine insists that 'crack' is perfectly acceptable in English.

And I thought they were just snorting coke....

annie

« Reply #66 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:07:12 pm »
It is indeed perfectly acceptable, I have used it, although it was many moons ago.

Chris S

« Reply #67 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:10:42 pm »
It is indeed perfectly acceptable, I have used it, although it was many moons ago.

But what does it mean?

« Reply #68 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:14:36 pm »

But what does it mean?

Conversation of the engaging kind.

« Reply #69 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:19:34 pm »
same as craic but badly spelled and more confusing.

« Reply #70 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:29:44 pm »

Haha! I geddit!
Crack!
Moons!
Very good Annie!

annie

« Reply #71 on: 18 June, 2008, 10:20:50 pm »

Haha! I geddit!
Crack!
Moons!
Very good Annie!

:-*