Author Topic: Which Scottish 200 as a first?  (Read 6780 times)

Which Scottish 200 as a first?
« on: 19 May, 2008, 09:33:07 pm »
After a few 100K Audaxes last year and a couple this year I feel the time has come to try for a 200K.  The question is, which one.....

With other committments I basically can choose between

1) Newtonmore Dulsie Dipper 23rd Aug
2) Pitlochry 31st Aug
3) Oot tae Carrick 6th Sept

2) and 3) give climbing of circa 2700m, but then Dulsie Dipper is unlikely to be flat and fast either....

So - is any one 'easier' than the others? Dont so much mind uphills but a big wimp and hold onto the brakes for dear life on the way down - not exactly helping timewise ::-)

Any hints appreciated - and before anyone suggests it, no I'm not doing all three ;D

Re: Which Scottish 200 as a first?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:50:12 pm »
The Dusie dipper would be a good starter
Not much climbing ,just a wee climb before the first control and pretty flat after that
The Carroll's put on a good weekend of cycling plenty of craic at the cafe afterward's
Campsite 100m away from start

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:56:05 pm »
Aha, thanks for that, I was thinking of rollercoasters given the name, but that sets my mind to rest, as I did rather fancy the camping and whole weekend thing. Not that I'm sure I'd be capable of a ride the next day, but it would be nice to have the option :)

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:33:29 pm »
The Dulsie Dipper was my second ever 200 two years ago.  I agree with Hibernian Exile's description of the "scenery".  I'd also add that the (3) controls are well spaced with a proper sit-down and refreshments at each (cafes / hotels when I did it in 2006) - this is important for a first 200 I think.

RJMcB

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:42:18 pm »
Being stupid my first 200 was the Cabrach Circuit. Big lump in the middle. Climbing out of Dufftown in the pouring rain, watching my speed match the distance to the next control for 20 minutes was so dispiriting. The only thing that stopped me from packing was that I was at the furthest point of the ride and it was shorter to continue over the hill, no matter how long it took, than to turn round and try to find a train station. Then a mysterious 2k of downhill appeared in the middle of the climb! and the control was 2k closer than indicated on the routesheet.!!

The world looked great and I stormed the rest of it (almost).

But don't let that put you off. You were riding just fine last year on the gribblestane and cabbagepatch 100k. Even when I did scream past you on one of the descents singing the ride of the valkyries at the top of my voice.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2008, 10:43:47 pm »
Wot these guys say. Taking nothing away from either of the other events, the Newtonmore weekend is often the highlight of the audax year here. A 200 on the Saturday, plenty of craic and re-hydration in the caff in the evening and an easy short ride on Sunday before heading back down the road.  :thumbsup:
You have to do it.
AFAIK The "dipper" just refers to a dip where the road goes down to a bridge over the river Dulsie then up the other side. Apparently it's a lovely view but I've always been hanging on for grim death too much on the downhill to appreciate it.

Seein' as how the Dulsie Dipper is first in the calendar, you could always start with that one ...  :demon: ;)

BTW, I don't appear to be able to read the last sentence in your original post.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2008, 07:25:14 am »
RJMcB, I like the sound of proper refreshment stops, might be the difference between giving up and not!
But David, dont like the sound of your 200, rubbish weather AND big lumps might be enough to put me off for life.....
And Eck, if you're hanging on for grim death on a downhill I'll be burning my brakes out ::-) , but if it's not all like that I'll cope..... Now I just have to tell Andy Pandy he's doing it too, and have a wee hunt for Mrs Pingu who was also thinking of a first 200 this year.....
I really dont think I'll be able to do more than one of the events unless I give up work (tempting) as I am supposed to be marathon training again by then ;D

« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:35:34 am »
Of your list Oot Ta Carrick is the only one I have done, it is a great route with most excellent organisation. Good controls last year, someones house and two cafes. MSeries recommends.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:45:35 am »
I haven't decided yet whether to do the Dulsie or the Pitlochry.
The Pitlochry is less travelling to get to, but probably a bit hillier.
But then if we're going to make an yACFer's jolly out of the Dulsie then I might do that instead.  ;D

Oot tae Carrick is right oot for me as a) it's too far away and b) I'm hoping we'll be travelling to Germany that day.  :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:56:15 am »
Thanks MSeries, Oot ta Carrick does sound good, and it's not too far for me, though I am still erring towards the Dulsie Dipper.

Mrs Pingu, I think the idea of a yACF jolly sounds like a fab idea. If we stay the Sat we can enjoy a beer or two on the Sat night and then use that rather than general exhaustion as an excuse if not doing the Sunday!

Oh, and if you do decide to go to Germany then I can always check out where european wanderers Ariadne & Corvine are, cause I think they might be in Germany round about that time.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2008, 11:58:41 am »
mmm....beer, sounds good!  :P

Can we round up any other reprobates then?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2008, 12:08:07 pm »
Another thing going for the Dulsie Dipper is the variety of scenery. You're up on the moors, then down by the sea with forests & lochs thrown in too  :thumbsup:

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2008, 12:12:17 pm »
Dulsie Dipper sounds fun (and by then I'll have a geared bike for doing it....)  ::-)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2008, 12:49:11 pm »
Too late in the season to be a 1st 200, but for a 2nd you could do a lot worse than the Etal-U-Can. It's a nice rolling route - no steep descents and it's got a couple of great cafes.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:04:56 pm »
I was planning of jazzing up to Newtonmore for the Dipper weekend and there was a number of folk on the Deeside Loop who said they were planning to attend.  It could be good to meet up for some yACF camping and cycling.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #15 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:30:09 pm »
Definitely go for it. The HQ for the weekend is the Chef's Grill - greasy spoon, but licensed.  It's on the southern edge of the village :thumbsup:
A good time guaranteed. It's probably the one time in the year when (pre y/ACF) Scottish audaxers traditionally congregated for a wee refreshment.
The campsite is very close, but a bit basic. Some stay in the two or three hostels in the village.

« Reply #16 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:50:23 pm »
Sounds like I better get my forms off then....
Is the campsite the caravan club one at Invernahavon, or is there another one closer?

And thanks Valkyrie for recommending Etal U Can, I'll see how I get on in the first one, and how long it takes cause I dont think i fancy cycling for hours in the dark.

Craig

« Reply #17 on: 20 May, 2008, 02:30:46 pm »
The nearest campsite is the one at Spey Bridge - this one. Its only a few hundred metres south of the Chef's Grill. And yes, it is basic, but it is rather cheap.
I'll most probably be there this year.

David Martin

« Reply #18 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:34:40 pm »
Why am I looking at this?
It seems feasible to do the train up on Friday, train back on saturday night thing.

..d

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 20 May, 2008, 05:23:05 pm »
Oh, but camping though??
Last time we audaxed in N'more we stayed at the bunkhouse in aviemore - next to the Bridge Inn (or wotever it's called).

« Reply #20 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:43:21 pm »
It seems feasible to do the train up on Friday, train back on saturday night thing.

That's exactly what I did in '06.  Big train to Kingussie on the Friday and the wee one home on the Saturday evening.

Last time we audaxed in N'more we stayed at the bunkhouse in aviemore - next to the Bridge Inn (or wotever it's called).

Two hostels in Newtonmore.  The Cairngorm? where I met Eck for the first time  :)  and the Newtonmore - owned by a fellow audaxer who's name escapes me at the moment.

RJMcB

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #21 on: 20 May, 2008, 08:47:47 pm »

Two hostels in Newtonmore.  The Cairngorm? where I met Eck for the first time  :)

So you won't be staying there again?  :P
S'ackshully this one: http://www.newtonmore.com/strathspey/
mrs Eck and I had a self contained cottage wooden hut out the back. But itwas grand.

and the Newtonmore - owned by a fellow audaxer who's name escapes me at the moment.

Peter Main.

David Martin

« Reply #22 on: 03 June, 2008, 09:37:13 pm »
I have a pass for that weekend for the Dulsie Dipper. And I may have persuaded my climbing partner to come along (but he is a bit quick - novice cyclist but has done more long rides than me this year).

..d

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #23 on: 04 June, 2008, 08:56:26 am »
We are booked into the hostel.

y lee g

« Reply #24 on: 04 June, 2008, 05:21:29 pm »
I am planning on heading up to Newtonmore with the family for the weekend's events.  Some of the younger Gs are pestering me to do an audax event so the Treasure Hunt 80k would appear to be ideal. 

We'll be camping - a step up in terms of comfort from recent curtain based audax sleeping arrangments!