Author Topic: Lumotec IQ2 luxos U  (Read 1386 times)

Lumotec IQ2 luxos U
« on: 01 March, 2017, 02:49:04 pm »
After many years great service my IQ2 has died on me, looking at a replacement and was wondering what folks thoughts were on the USB version of this light.

Living on the west coast with the usual damp/wet conditions a fairly constant feature I'm a little wary of possible issues with water ingress into the additional cable/connector portals.

Anyone got any feedback/thoughts on the longer term use of this light before I take the plunge

Cheers
Roberto

Re: Lumotec IQ2 luxos U
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2017, 04:24:16 pm »
I haven't any long term experience because I've only just bought one but the current incarnation is better than the previous design was rumoured to be with regards water ingress.

The handlebar button now has a cable extending from it with a rubber cap over the top. Under the rubber cap is a screw fixing for an extension cable with female USB port. It's long enough (4-5 inches) to reach into the handlebar bag and stay dry. It might even get into a fuel pod type bag behind the stem depending how the switch is mounted. If the USB port is not required the short length can be covered over with the rubber cap and when in use, careful mounting can ensure the screw cap is reasonably safe from water ingress.

It's quite a neat assembly and I haven't been out in the wet but I'm not particularly concerned about it.

Testing reports to follow....
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2017, 01:20:03 am »
I've had mine about two years and is the latest version. I don't commute with it but a couple of seasons of Audax and I've had no problems during some pretty damp rides. I think the cable for the handlebar switch is a bit too long but the USB cable is long enough to reach a bar or top tube bag. I'm experimenting with a bit of old innertube to protect the USB connection.

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2017, 02:13:46 pm »
I've no experience of the IQ2 but i bought an IQX (non usb) and have to say it's the best light that i've had on a bike yet, If your doing the F&T 200 this weekend you can have a closer look at it, otherwise i'm sure Russell C has the IQ2 usb version as do a few others i think.
Jim
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2017, 05:45:41 pm »
My Luxos U is on a Brompton and could do with another 6 inches of cable... Also, after its been off for a day or so it won't turn on on the remote button, you have to use the button on the lamp. Have only used the USB once as a test, but very handy to have to ensure phone stayed charged whilst on satnav duty. I thought it was bright, then I discovered the floodlight mode.... Cars will dip..