Author Topic: Rhubarb  (Read 8113 times)

Rhubarb
« on: 10 April, 2015, 11:38:25 am »
Well when I brought my house I found a rhubarb plant in the garden. Last week I harvested 1.2kg of the stuff and it looks like I could take a similar crop tomorrow! Not sure what I am going to do with it all.

I think when it comes to winter I think I shall be dividing the plant as there are too many crowns in close proximity.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2015, 04:19:31 pm »
Crumble.

I'm not really a big rhubarb fan but when boiled up with the requisite hundred weight of sugar, it makes a lovely crumble. Which, being a 1970s pleb, I eat with copious evaporated milk.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »
I love rhubarb, but it is Agent Picolax for me. So I eat it sparingly.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2015, 05:13:25 pm »
The first crop made a rhubarb and Apple pie and four jars of rhubarb and ginger jam.  :thumbsup: All good, consuming the rest could be limiting.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2015, 02:59:34 pm »
When stewing the rhubarb add some Pernod or Cointreau sparingly. Then put some white chocolate chips in the crumble. I guarantee you'll then eat some for breakfast and you'll never have too much rhubarb.

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:06:33 pm »
Had our first crumble tonight... lovely.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:02:38 pm »
Our rhubarb is flourishing, & I think we'll have some soon.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:19:28 pm »
Third batch harvested yesterday, I'm picking it like spinach (little and often so the next leaves grow through). Added some strawberries to make a crumble. No you can't have any as there soon won't be any left. *burp*

« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2015, 10:41:33 am »
Just dunk the stalks in a cup of sugar and chew. Thats what we did as kids anyway.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #9 on: 05 May, 2015, 02:20:42 pm »
Third batch harvested yesterday, I'm picking it like spinach (little and often so the next leaves grow through). Added some strawberries to make a crumble. No you can't have any as there soon won't be any left. *burp*

But don't eat the leaves!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 30 October, 2015, 08:05:55 am »
If you're a homebrewer it makes a very good wine, never fail recipe as well.  Ends up a bit like a sauvignon blanc.

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2015, 04:26:13 pm »
Is it normal for rhubarb (bought this year, planted in well-manured soil, and left well alone to settle in) to die right back for the winter?

Is there anything I need to do? Put some straw or other insulation over it? Or just leave it (while I dream of rhubarb crumble) until it sprouts again next year?
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2015, 04:45:55 pm »
Yes, it dies back over winter. You don't have to do anything but some people put garden compost round it. Keep the crown free from rotting material.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #13 on: 15 November, 2015, 09:51:08 am »
Yes, it dies back over winter. You don't have to do anything but some people put garden compost round it. Keep the crown free from rotting material.
Wobbly John is right. Don't worry about it, it will look after itself.
Remove the rotting leaves (I DO put mine in the compost).
In a few years, now is the time to divide your root - more plants, and share the love!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Andrew

« Reply #14 on: 15 November, 2015, 11:07:28 am »
If you're a homebrewer it makes a very good wine, never fail recipe as well.  Ends up a bit like a sauvignon blanc.

That's interesting. I might give that a go.

I was juicing it, with ginger, for a while but ended up with bottles of the stuff that I didn't drink.  We have too much rhubarb yet, at the same time, not a great deal. There's only so much crumble one can eat. Besides, burying it in sugar doesn't seem like an answer to me. Ditto jam.

I have to say though that generally speaking I didn't click with the ' grow your own' philosophy. All that boiling, seiving, sugaring, bottling - jeez, felt like the next step was building the fall out shelter. We've still got jars of stuff from years ago, it'll probably get binned at some point.

No, I prefer to buy fresh locally the amount I need as I need. Most of the rhubard that grows in our garden goes on the compost heap these days.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15 on: 15 November, 2015, 08:21:03 pm »

That's interesting. I might give that a go.

I was juicing it, with ginger, for a while but ended up with bottles of the stuff that I didn't drink.  We have too much rhubarb yet, at the same time, not a great deal. There's only so much crumble one can eat. Besides, burying it in sugar doesn't seem like an answer to me. Ditto jam.

I have to say though that generally speaking I didn't click with the ' grow your own' philosophy. All that boiling, seiving, sugaring, bottling - jeez, felt like the next step was building the fall out shelter. We've still got jars of stuff from years ago, it'll probably get binned at some point.

No, I prefer to buy fresh locally the amount I need as I need. Most of the rhubard that grows in our garden goes on the compost heap these days.

PM me if you want the recipe, unless you have a copy of CJJ Berry's First Steps in Wine Making?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2016, 01:00:33 pm »

what`s happened to ours though ? when bought house mid 2014 there were two rhubarb plants which were OK , not prolific; in 2015 got a couple of late pulling ie late Summer. Bought 3 new plants in 2015 and planted (but didn`t harvest anything ) which have just started to push their crowns through; but of the 2 original not a blinking sign of anything  ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #17 on: 26 March, 2016, 09:43:01 pm »
Rhubarb and Ginger Jam! Delicious stuff. Just be sure to cut the rhubarb into short lengths before you boil it up or you end up with very long stringy jam! :)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #18 on: 26 March, 2016, 11:18:46 pm »
Definitely crumble. With custard. Or ice cream, sometimes, just for a change.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 23 April, 2016, 09:43:29 pm »
Just dunk the stalks in a cup of sugar and chew. Thats what we did as kids anyway.
It's what we did too.  I don't like it cooked.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #20 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:44:11 pm »
We got sections of egg boxes to hold our sugar.

I believe rhubarb goes well with mackerel, for those who like that sort of thing.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #21 on: 04 May, 2016, 01:26:19 pm »
First harvest of the year was given to mum when dad was going away (he doesn't like rhubarb). Second harvest made rhubarb and ginger crumble for a family gathering and was compensation to mum that she had to cater for dad's event (trial pitching of the new tent).

I'll probably stew a couple of stalks for my consumption on friday.

« Reply #22 on: 06 May, 2016, 04:50:23 pm »
We got sections of egg boxes to hold our sugar.

I believe rhubarb goes well with mackerel, for those who like that sort of thing.

Would you use root ginger and sugar for this, or maybe stem ginger in syrup?

« Reply #23 on: 06 May, 2016, 07:37:11 pm »
Would you use root ginger and sugar for this, or maybe stem ginger in syrup?

What, to go with mackrel? It's usually a rhubarb chutney that is served with mackrel.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #24 on: 06 May, 2016, 07:48:17 pm »
for the crumble I used stem ginger in syrup. Chop the stem ginger and use some of the syrup to sweeten the rhubarb when stewed.