Author Topic: 5 Days in Sardinia  (Read 2851 times)

5 Days in Sardinia
« on: 17 September, 2011, 01:39:33 pm »
Just back from a fortnight in Sardinia.
I had pre-booked a Scott S20 road bike from Ichnusa bikes in Cagliari for 5 days.

Day 1

I set off on an early bus to pick up my bike, €5 for a 2 hour journey !
The bike was ready for me on arrival at their store, so I was heading back to our villa at 10:30. Riding out from Cagliari was straight forward and I was soon on the coast road. Stopped for lunch in Solanas, toasted sandwich and Coke, before the climb out of Solanas with its 6 hairpins.

Continued onto to Villasimius for a quick coffee and look round the church.

Then out along the coast road again heading towards our villa, the road here climbs to 180 metres but the scenery is superb before a fantastic descent.
Stopped at our villa in the small village of Cala Sinzias to meet up with family and have some more food, 75 kms so far, I was keen to reach 100 kms in the day for my Sept. YACF MCC ride so after refuelling headed out again via the villages of Castiadas, Olia Specioca and Costa Rei, finally clocked up 101 kms.

Day 2

Just an afternoon ride out to Olia Specioca for a coffee and to see Capo Ferrato.
A very hot afternoon, didn't see any other cyclists out on the road !

Day 3

After yesterdays hot pm ride, I set off early in the morning heading to Villasimius and the surronding areas

Back to Villasimius for lunch before heading back to spend the afternoon on the beach

Day 4

Rode out again in the afternoon, as well as hot today it was very windy and after passing through Castiadas I cycled along the dead straight road to Olia Specioca, the good thing was at the end of this 6 km road is a great bar selling coffee and pastries.

Day 5

Early start to drop bike back, followed same route back to Caglairi and enjoyed sometime looking around the city, took the steep winding back road upto the old Castle ( even had some cheers of encouragement as the road got steeper ! ) 75 kms for the ride back.

So a great 5 days of riding totalled nearly 300 kms !
Early morning rides were very enjoyable, but I have to admit I struggled in the heat of the afternoon.
I would recommend this area for cycling with great road conditions ( except the cobbles of the Via Roma ) and courteous drivers even along the winding hilly coast road.

Re: 5 Days in Sardinia
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2011, 11:35:06 pm »
Looks fabulous.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2011, 07:58:22 pm »
Day 1 The Full Version !

I had to travel by bus to pick up my bike from the shop in Cagliari.
The bus was on time and a bargain price, on boarding the bus I didn't have a ticket so the driver instructed me to sit down and buy one when he stopped at the bar/tabac in San Perdu !

The journey back from Cagliari was along the beach road ( behind the hospital ) then out onto the flat coast road it then started to get a little undulating through I beleive Geremeas and Torres delle Stelle.
I lunched in Solanas, knowing of the climb to come. Even stopped before the climb for a coffee at the cafe on the junction for Castiadas ( recommended ). Having previously driven this climb I was looking forward to the challenge, I found it relatively easy and soon reached the top, looking forward to the descent which was slowed by a row of cars sedately cruising down the other side !
Slightly inland then and stopped briefly at the viewing point overlooking Gulf di Carbonara, then into Villasimius for a coffee in the square ( Bar Toma ).
It was now the hottest part of the day and I had the climb out of Villasimius to enjoy, I have ridden this several times in the past so I took it easy. The descent down to Cala Sinzias is brilliant with excellent views ( and very few barriers ) and a new road surface as well.
Stopped briefly at our villa, before heading out to Castiadas and onto the cafe on the outskirts of Olia Speciosa ( recommended again, great coffee & pastries ) then back through Costa Rei and a well earned rest ( and a beer ).

My impressions were of great road surfaces, good drivers ( plenty of space allowed ), and challenging roads which I enjoy.
Also whereever you went great coffee was served at a reasonable price, rather than the overpriced buckets of watered down coffee available in the UK ! ( Sorry thats my only rant  ;) )

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2011, 01:49:37 pm »

Below are a couple of the rides via my Garmin device, unfortuneatly although it saved my Day 1 ride of 101 kms it hasn't converted it into a map !!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118473325
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118473344
Cagliari 75km.

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2011, 08:41:37 am »
Nice trip, good photos to boot.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2013, 03:38:40 pm »
I know those roads/bars very well - agree with you totally about the cycling. And the coffee :)

It is true that the drivers are generally excellent with cyclists though not always - sometimes the all too common contempt for pedestrians crosses over - a cyclists was recently killed on that road from Cagliari to Villasimius - an encounter with a young woman in a 4x4 I think.

This I think is very probably the same long straight road as your Day 4.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37034456@N06/6188387078/in/photostream