Author Topic: 2/3 the way round (some of) Scotland  (Read 1546 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
2/3 the way round (some of) Scotland
« on: 16 March, 2015, 01:25:49 pm »
A mate locally had thought up a ride from Dunfermline to Aviemore via Braemar, then Aviemore to Crianlarich via Fort William and finally home via Comrie. I was in.

Friday 13th March, 7am start, cold, and we set off from Fordell Firs (location of GW's Millie Alba) for Perth for Breakfast. Spotted in local riding kit our mugs were soon on Twitter. Heading north we passed through Blairgowrie and heading up to the Cairnwell in glorious sunshine with a chill wind. I have cycled the Cirnwell 5 times before but only fron the north so this was a first for me. Bally stiff climb but we made it. I was left standing by Stuart on his fixed, but then he has 15 years on me! At the top I got revenge when I could free wheel down to near Braemar while he had to cycle down. Lunch and then onto Crathie before we turned again up hill, 3 times before we descended into Tomintool. At one point a couple of ladies were clapping in their car as I crawlled past climbing up BH1. I'm not afraid to say I walked some of the steeper climbs. I need a triple! (heart bypass/front crankset - take your pick!) After Tomintool we skooted east to Nethy Bridge & a mate Pete's gaff for copious amounts of tea before his lovely wife offered us a lift to Aviemore in their school bus. It was dark, cold and we had 2300m of climbing and 22k in our legs, I was not going to refuse!

Saturday 14th March, 8am. After a nice lay in, we set off in frosty conditions but clear skies for Crianlarich via Fort William. Soon through Kingussie and Newtonnemore, it was starting to warm up. As we passed Loch Laggan the views were magnificent, with the Grey Corries to the south and Creag Meagaidh to our north. Then down to Spean Bridge and lunch in Fort Bill. Filled suitibly with junk food we headed south to Ballahulish but instead of the busy A82 and a climb over Rannoch moor we headed for the cycle path to Oban. Its very good and I'd love to go back at a more leisurely pace. At The Bridge over the Falls of Lora (Connel Bridge) where I have dived an exillarating drift dive, we headed inland for Crianlarich. We stopped at Taynuilt for coffee and a warm up, before climbing to Tyndrum and passing Ben Lui. Then the final few km to Crianlarich and a feed in the hotel.

Sunday I checked out of the ride and caught a lift home, as the cold was getting to me, and Stuart pressed on via Glen Ogle, Loch Earn, Comrie and Dunblane. He well and truely smashed me, and made up for my leaving him last July on the Highlands Audax when I made the Mallaig ferry and he didn't! Chapeau Stuart!

The weather was great, no rain and mild BUT VERY COLD, winds from the south and east. The scenery was spectacular and the snow covered tops were beautiful.

I'll have to go back and complete the ride soon, and explore that west coast section of the 78 cycle path.

Dave C

https://www.strava.com/activities/268726614

https://www.strava.com/activities/268726623
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/