Author Topic: Television - Good or Bad?  (Read 2132 times)

librarian

• Quiet please
Television - Good or Bad?
« on: 20 November, 2011, 10:39:34 pm »
I have an enormous TV and smug middle class friends. They look at my TV and emit that noise periodically that middle-class people make when expressing disappointment. Like a little psychic fart wafted through a page of the Guardian. I avoid the fundamentalist anti-televisonites but there seems to be a bit of the competition on the "yes, we have a TV, but it's very small and we only use to view meaningful and educational TV, and never for more than a hour, on Fridays in Lent, and once we are done we write essays to explore what we learned from the experience." I know, of course, that they're glued to it, sitting there all evening, TV light dowsing off their pale faces like celebrity bukkake.

Oddly, I don't that much TV, mostly for logistical reasons. I catch the occasional thing on iPlayer (I was persuaded to watch the arch-animal botherer Attenborough). Mostly, it's DVD box sets, which I eat like a fat man with a bottomless bucket of fried chicken. I'm not proud. I do have the The Wire. It's somewhere behind the full collection of Stargate Atlantis.