Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3000711 times)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
I have decided to learn Welsh.  It is slow going as it is as it appears, in some cases, to be strings of consonants.  But what I can say is 'bore da, dw i chi, pwy wyt chi? Dydw i ddim yn bwyta cig a dw i'n ddim yn yfed cwrw, ond dwi'n mwynhau bwyta cennin'  which I believe is 'good morning I am Lou, who are you?  I don't eat meat and I do not drink beer, but I enjoy eating leeks.'

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
 :thumbsup:
Da iwan
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

lou boutin

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I have decided to learn Welsh.  It is slow going as it is as it appears, in some cases, to be strings of consonants.  But what I can say is 'bore da, dw i chi, pwy wyt chi? Dydw i ddim yn bwyta cig a dw i'n ddim yn yfed cwrw, ond dwi'n mwynhau bwyta cennin'  which I believe is 'good morning I am Lou, who are you?  I don't eat meat and I do not drink beer, but I enjoy eating leeks.'
Which of the Welsh words is (equivalent to) Lou? It looks like a lot of short words with quite a lot of vowels to me but then I don't know how to actually say it, let alone what it means!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Help me!
Yes. Should have been "Lou dwi"
Well in southern Welsh. Gog North welsh just confuses me.

essexian

I have a friend who is learning Welsh at the age of 50....she was fed up of her kids speaking it behind her back having learnt it at school.

She sent me this link and said every word of this is true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvScUgHcA8Y

While I never learnt it, both my grandparents on my mum side spoke it in everyday conversation.

lou boutin

Which of the Welsh words is (equivalent to) Lou? It looks like a lot of short words with quite a lot of vowels to me but then I don't know how to actually say it, let alone what it means!

It should be Lou dw I !!  Whoops

essexian - the video made me laugh.

lou boutin

I forgot to say, I was in the Brussels Office recently, which luckily coincided with the Grand Depart :)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End

Welsh - probably the only language in the world (at least ones using conventional characters) that has a different word for "taxi"  - why?

Rob

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Mr Google says it's "tacsi".  Is he wrong?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Help me!
Because there is no x in the Welsh alphabet. They tend not to use redundant letters. So tacsi is fine by me.

Edit: x post with Mr L

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
And he gives "leigubíll" as one option in Icelandic (the other being – surprise, surprise – "taxi").

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I forgot to say, I was in the Brussels Office recently, which luckily coincided with the Grand Depart :)
Should be in the good news thread, non?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

lou boutin

Should be in the good news thread, non?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

Because there is no x in the Welsh alphabet. They tend not to use redundant letters. So tacsi is fine by me.

Edit: x post with Mr L
There's also no x in Polish, except in borrowed words. Taxi is sufficiently integrated to become taksówka, but the word you see on the vehicle itself is... taxi.

Beardy

• Shedist
My man tells me it ‘just came apart’, but the lawn mower is now kaput.1

A cursory inspection shows that the plug cap has disintegrated and so I’m going to have to get s new HT lead which you’d think would be simple. A brief google suggests it’s going to be anything but :facepalm:

I’m going to be in trouble because the grass is not going to get cut today, and Dr Beardy (Mrs)’s solution will know doubt be to buy a new lawnmower. ::-) hey ho...

1. For those that worry about these things, the man has plenty of other work to be getting on with, so I won’t be contributing to the idle British worker problem. 😁
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

essexian

I’m going to be in trouble because the grass is not going to get cut today, and Dr Beardy (Mrs)’s solution will know doubt be to buy a new lawnmower. ::-) hey ho...

Lets hope what happens to me/CBH doesn't happen to you in that we both brought a new lawnmower without telling the other what we had done.

We now have two mowers... the posh one for the front garden so our neighbours can see how well we are doing, a a cheap and nasty one for the back lawn.... ;D

A cursory inspection shows that the plug cap has disintegrated and so I’m going to have to get s new HT lead which you’d think would be simple. A brief google suggests it’s going to be anything but :facepalm:

Have you tried eBay?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I was sad enough to read the label on some new underwear from M&S.

Russian sizing gives a size range in cm rather than some arbitrary vanity number.

Shame they keep such information obscure for mere British mortals.

Cudzoziemiec

They only keep that obscure from British women. British men get to select their underwear in cm or more likely true British inches. Whether the cm or inches or the label actually match the measurement of the fabric is a moot point. You should measure and see, might well be that Russian women are also being vanitised, just in a more direct way!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The actual dimensions of M&S mens' trousers are well-vanitised.

It was *so* refreshing to see a height/girth range in cm...

This really should be universal IMHO.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
TBH, technology being what it is, you'd think it would be possible to enter measurements (in a unit of your choice) into a website and receive custom-molished clothing that actually fits by return of post.

Presumably that's less profitable than ill-fitting clothes mass produced by sweatshop labour...

Storm Area 51: US Air Force warns over Facebook eventWhat could possibly go wrong?

For whom?  It would make one hell of a late-night Dr. Pepper advert.  :demon:

Though chances are that all it will amount to will be ten stoners with tie-dye shirts and a woman who can "talk to aliens" rocking up and being told to piss off, because all the good stuff was moved to Area 52, and no, they are not saying where that is.  ;D

More seriously though, look up the tinfoilism surrounding the Jade Helm exercise in 2015, and you'll see why this sort of thing is closely monitored.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche