Author Topic: The Richard Ellis Memorial Rides — Saturday 7 October 2017  (Read 5569 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
The Richard Ellis Memorial Rides — Saturday 7 October 2017
« on: 21 September, 2017, 12:36:50 am »
This is the second running of The Richard Ellis Memorial Rides — 100km and 200km events in memory of Richard Ellis, who was unfortunately hit and fatally injured by an out-of-control car on 3 April last year.  Writing that doesn't make it any better ...

The 200 is a circular route, starting in Great Dunmow and visiting The Orchard Tea Rooms in Granchester, Cambridge, then Maglia Rosso in Hawstead, then Mistley Park Tea Rooms in Manningtree, before returning to arrivée.  This route covers classic Essex and Cambridgeshire roads, with a bit of Suffolk thrown in for good measure, and is harder than it looks on paper due to the rolling nature of Essex at its best  ;)

The 100 is a mostly there-and-back from Great Dunmow to Maglia Rosso.  This proved very popular last year  :thumbsup:

Richard's family will once again be manning the controls at Maglia Rosso and Mistley Park — from what they told me, they really enjoyed the event last year and it really meant something to them to be involved in something Rich had committed so much time and energy to.

I'll be stamping cards at the first control at Grantchester once more.  I'm riding the routecheck this Saturday and will update the GPS files in due course with any changes.

These are among the first events of the 2018 season and so are perfect to get some early points on the board and to keep the RRTY alive.  Tomsk is currently catching up on Flatlands paperwork and I understand he's off this weekend scouting some new route or other, hence me posting on his behalf.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Re: The Richard Ellis Memorial Rides — Saturday 7 October 2017
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2017, 08:41:32 am »
Rode this lovely route with great stops last year coming over from Dorset. Best of all this ride will restore faith in human nature. Sorry I can't do it again but it's great.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2017, 02:25:57 pm »
Link to last year's thread on yacf — https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=97455.0.

« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2017, 02:40:38 pm »
Will there be food pre-ordering for the Maglia Rosso stop? That worked well last year, and the food was delicious.

This'll be my 3rd year in a row doing the 200km route, albeit the second time the event has run as the Richard Ellis Memorial ride. It is a great route with some lovely controls to look forward to.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2017, 02:46:11 pm »
I'm back on the 100 with an ECE. I have an evening at the Oktoberfest in Chelmsford to be back for so will be aiming to get it all done ASAP and bank my RRtY ride for the month in the process.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2017, 03:26:46 pm »
Will there be food pre-ordering for the Maglia Rosso stop? That worked well last year, and the food was delicious.

I believe so; Tomsk will be able to confirm when he's next online.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2017, 08:32:18 pm »

This'll be my 3rd year in a row doing the 200km route, albeit the second time the event has run as the Richard Ellis Memorial ride. It is a great route with some lovely controls to look forward to.

New cafe staff at the M.R. - I have a menu to go out to riders in due course, but at present no need to pre-order. The Orchard Tea Garden at Grantchester is under new management too - they needed a bit of re-assurance that you wouldn't all arrive at once or need anything other than the usual scones, cake, tea and coffee. They're catering for the Grantchester 3k & 10k run [the next day I think], so a steep learning curve for them!

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2017, 09:17:15 pm »
This is my favourite Essex 200 for some reason - varied terrain, beautiful Grantchester stop followed by the Balsham hill challenge then that lovely bit on quiet back roads before the Maglia Rosa and then the terrific descent of the valley into Manningtree... It's a very good ride and I recommend it. Also, early points for the year while you still feel fit before winter  :thumbsup: The presence of Richard's family last year was fantastic, happy to see that they are coming out again.

This year intending to ECE the 100 for variety...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:11:10 pm »

I updated the GPS files for the 100 this evening, just for you Al ;)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2017, 10:00:16 am »
Okay, route check done.  Tom's doing another one next week, he said, if he gets time — he might need to, because there were three road closures in place, although two should definitely be gone before the event and the third might/not be there, but it's walkable if it is.

Overall this is a lovely, varied route.  The first stage to Grantchester starts with a climb and then it's a fast, ever-so-gentle downhill on a fast-running surface all the way and usually has a tailwind.  The Orchard Tea Rooms are expecting you — I'll be stamping cards, outside if it's dry, so no need to ask for receipts, which is good because they didn't know how to issue one yesterday ...

The second stage includes the long climb up to Balsham, the climb of the day — it's not hard, it just goes on a bit; I really started to feel my lack of fitness from being off the bike, injured from LEL, here.  There are some really long, lovely laney sections all the way to Hawstead.  The Maglia Rosso are expecting you for lunch and it should be great, they're always good.  They have saddle-hanging bike-parking, and there's an outside tap to fill your bidons from.

The third stage to Mistley Towers, Manningtree, starts to become more Essex-esque — short, hard ramps with no recovery on the other side.  The scenery is lovely again, although more main-roady along this section.  I have no experience of the café at Mistley park, as they're always closed when I get there.  There's a garage another 2km further on if you need to stock up on sweeties, although you will still need to control at the café.

The final stage back to Great Dunmow is punchy — lots of short climbs and short descents, all packed close together — typical Essex.  I felt it badly on this section, lack of energy and no longer fixed-wheel-fit.  That hurt.  But it was a great feeling to finally drop down into Dunmow and grab a receipt from The Angel and Harp :)

I ECE'ed the ride, and thought I might add in some bonus km to bring it up to 200 miles.   In the end I had to work really hard (not that it shows in the averages), but managed to finish with 325km ridden in just under 16 hours elapsed — "that'll do, pig, that'll do."

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2017, 01:12:47 pm »
Good effort Nick!  I never get as far as The 3 Elms when I 'ECE' Tom's starts... I just CBA with that last 10km home through Chelmsford and the beer is good LOL
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 26 September, 2017, 03:17:25 pm »

The long haul of preparing the 2018 events for the 1st October deadline is nearly over  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'll be emailing the revised route sheet and info to 200 and 100km riders later this week. And thank you for all your help Wilkyboy  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 26 September, 2017, 05:17:05 pm »

Why thank you!

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #13 on: 29 September, 2017, 10:54:30 pm »
I've just uploaded the final 2017 versions of the 200km GPS files here — http://www.camaudax.uk/tom/richard-ellis-memorial-200-2017/  :thumbsup:

The route is the same as last year, just the exact positions of the beeps for the two info controls at Newport and Bures have changed from last year.

« Reply #14 on: 30 September, 2017, 08:16:10 pm »
We will be coming up from London not sure if anyone else is?  Think we will get the train and ride over on Saturday.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #15 on: 30 September, 2017, 11:04:54 pm »
Hope the weather is as kind next Saturday as it was today.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #16 on: 01 October, 2017, 11:40:51 pm »
Drat missed the deadline, but hoping to ride if I can EoL.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:00:24 am »
^ Special people who ask nicely can eol  :D

« Reply #18 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:53:02 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 06 October, 2017, 11:47:22 am »
Knees.... I am taking a month off the bike, like totally off, and doing some kneehab stretching etc so I won't be riding this weekend. Which means god knows when the Oct 200 for RRTY will work... doh.

Hope you all have a nice ride, disappointed to miss it.

« Reply #20 on: 06 October, 2017, 12:55:58 pm »
Knees.... I am taking a month off the bike, like totally off, and doing some kneehab stretching etc so I won't be riding this weekend. Which means god knows when the Oct 200 for RRTY will work... doh.

Sorry to hear that, I hope your remediation works well.

When I had a 6 week break last autumn, my first ride back was a 200km that caused knee issues which lasted a couple of months. So I would suggest you ease your way back up to 200km, although you've probably planned that already.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #21 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:03:53 pm »

Sorry to hear that, I hope your remediation works well.

When I had a 6 week break last autumn, my first ride back was a 200km that caused knee issues which lasted a couple of months. So I would suggest you ease your way back up to 200km, although you've probably planned that already.

Indeed! I think in retrospect I was quite lucky to get away with LEL, I had been aware of building postural issues fro a while but had *manfully* pushed them back.... now having to deal with the reailty of a body that has cycled for many years but not stretched or strengthened adequately. I will be short riding most of autumn and winter now I think. Need to be gracious with myself - did the thing I was really aiming for - and not get too worried about missing these fun rides :-)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #22 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:33:49 pm »
I`m sure you`ve made the right decision, sometimes you`ve got to be good to yourself. Enjoy your break and I hope you`re back cycling in the spring to cheer us all up.

I`ll be thinking of you as I grind along in the wind and rain tomorrow morning, wishing I was as sensible :facepalm:

« Reply #23 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:42:59 pm »
I`m sure you`ve made the right decision, sometimes you`ve got to be good to yourself. Enjoy your break and I hope you`re back cycling in the spring to cheer us all up.

I`ll be thinking of you as I grind along in the wind and rain tomorrow morning, wishing I was as sensible :facepalm:

Reset the clock, back to the first points for the year - must be quite a blow for you :-) I imagine I will be able to be doing winter ACME 100s without added ECE. You can't get shake me that easily...

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #24 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:46:43 pm »

Ah - happy talking from Captain Sensible.
CCS - Setting the Standards