Author Topic: Recommend Me A Mini Pump  (Read 15387 times)

jimbhoy

Recommend Me A Mini Pump
« on: 31 March, 2011, 03:40:35 pm »
Currently i have a Topeak mini something or other with gauge, claims to get up to 100psi no problem, bull**** having been caught out again today with a p******e that once repaired, i could only get to 60-70psi which took a very very long time and much sweating and cursing from me, so time to get a new pump, so what can you recommend me ?

p.s i don't want cartridges

Tim

Re: Recommend Me A Mini Pump
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:43:10 pm »
Topeak Roadmorph, though that is halfway between minipump and frame pump in size, so not ideal pocket fodder. The frame clip comes with a couple of cable ties so it can be attached to any tube if you are short of spare bottle cage bosses.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:44:12 pm »
Road Morphe is the only one which will fit the bill.  100psi isn't easy any way you try to do it.
Getting there...

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:56:39 pm »
Mini pumps don't work because ? guess ?

Answer is there mini.

I don't understand why people just don't get a proper frame fit pump ? Someone will argue against my rant no doubt.

Ive had a Topeak frame fit Master Blaster for years and it does what says, or if you want something more classic go for a Zefal HPX though not as good.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:57:42 pm »
They're right you know.  There's no such thing as a mini pump which will really do the job.  Sure, some will theoretically go to 100psi, but you'll be a hurty, tired mess if you get there.

The Road Morphe is the only smaller size pump I'd recommend which will actually get you back on the road.  Mini pumps might get enough air in your tyre to ride home after getting a p***ture in the local park or something, but that's all they're generally good for.

Out of interest, why don't you want to carry CO2?  I've not long bought one for the first time and I'm really rather impressed.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:59:59 pm »
I don't get a frame fit pump because:

a) I can't find one to fit the seatstay mount on my Orbit
b) My Ridgeback hasn't such a mount
c) They tend to fall off when I carry my bike.  I have to carry it over a bridge at a level crossing about half the time, and keep the bike up a narrow set of stairs when I'm at work.
d) I have Marathon/Durano Plus
e) Topeak Mini Morphe has been good enough on the very rare occasions I have needed it.
Getting there...

jimbhoy

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:13:32 pm »
They're right you know.  There's no such thing as a mini pump which will really do the job.  Sure, some will theoretically go to 100psi, but you'll be a hurty, tired mess if you get there.

The Road Morphe is the only smaller size pump I'd recommend which will actually get you back on the road.  Mini pumps might get enough air in your tyre to ride home after getting a p***ture in the local park or something, but that's all they're generally good for.

Out of interest, why don't you want to carry CO2?  I've not long bought one for the first time and I'm really rather impressed.

Mainly because i've already enough to carry and just want a pump that will fit on my bike and get me enough pressure to get a tyre back to where it should be.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:14:11 pm »
The Morphe pumps are not what I would call mini.

I can get over 100psi with my puny arms + a Topeak Pocket Rocket or Barbieri CarbOne - but it takes ages and sweat with both.

You need to get over your dislike of CO2 cartridges if you want truly mini and quick easy high pressure.  You can always carry a mini pump as well for backup and starting.  Innovations Air Chuck recommended.  It, with one 16g cartridge, takes up very little space in your bag.

Proper frame fit pumps are great, except when it comes to carrying your luggage around (and bike in some cases).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:19:49 pm »
+1 to pocket rocket.

It'll get up to pressure.

Eventually.

Even SimonL (having initially scoffed) was impressed when he saw the results achieved with mine.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:21:58 pm »
I'm sure some innuendo could be extracted form that somehow, but I'm too weary from finalising end of year submissions...
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:23:09 pm »
I have a Morphe of some description - the mountain one I think - about 25cm long and strapped alongside the bottle cage, and can get 100psi from it without tooo much effort.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:25:18 pm »
there are no good mini pumps, ones are worse than the others. i carry bontrager air rush, which is a telescopic mini pump with a co2 port. i'd use co2 cartridge primarily and as a last resort i can pump 25c tyre with 400 strokes and in 5mins to 90-95psi.

« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:29:32 pm »
I used a Zefal HPX mounted in the frame until it bounced out after hitting a pothole at 30mph on a descent and nearly went into the back wheel. (Yes, it was quite a tight fit but no it wasn't mounted on a pump peg).

I then used Zefal Doodads to hold it to the frame: http://www.greenbank.org/bikes/tempo/tempo6.jpg

This pump didn't fit my geared bike so I bought a Topeak Micro Rocket CB (now superseded by the CBT version). As others say, it takes a fair amount of effort but it gets there eventually, and it's tiny (and carbon).

But the saddlebag is spacious so I decided I could use something a bit bigger, but still smaller than a frame pump so I got a Topeak Peak DX II Master Blaster mini pump. Works a treat.

If I'm on a blat around the park with minimal stuff I can fit the Micro Rocket CB in the seat pack (it is that small).

If I'm commuting or on an Audax and therefore have a saddlebag/pannier/rucksack then I'll take the Master Blaster.

If I'm paranoid about entering flint land with tyres near their end of life I'll take the Zefal HPX and strap it to the frame with the Doodads, but it's a heavy beast.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:30:21 pm »
Lezyne Road Drive - large (it's not that large - 283mm long and 106g) - works for me, though I have several friends with the Morph and it works very well (though it is quite a bulky chap).

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:32:41 pm »
I've got a Topeak Mini Morphe.  I agree with Biggsy that it's not quite a mini, but it's very ood.  You can set it up like a mini track pump which allows you to get your back into pumping.  I have no problem blowing tyres up to 100PSI.  

I bought that for a group tour last year, when I wanted a decent pump to service the lot of us.  For my own personal use, I reckon it's slightly bulkier than I want.  If you're interested in buying it, send me  pm.  

Other than that, I recently used someone's Lezyne mini drive (I think) to inflate their tyre and found it to be good quality and easy to use.  If you really want something small, go for one of these.

[EDIT: Oh look, I've x-posted with marcus and said effectively the same thing as he did.]

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:40:36 pm »
I don't get a frame fit pump because:

a) I can't find one to fit the seatstay mount on my Orbit
b) My Ridgeback hasn't such a mount
c) They tend to fall off when I carry my bike.  I have to carry it over a bridge at a level crossing about half the time, and keep the bike up a narrow set of stairs when I'm at work.
d) I have Marathon/Durano Plus
e) Topeak Mini Morphe has been good enough on the very rare occasions I have needed it.

Mmm ? 60 miles from home with a poor pump ?

They don't fall off if you get the correct lenght pump or use the velcro wrap that some pumps come with or theres always insulation tape.

On purchasing a new bike a good pump is the first thing I think about fitting on my bikes. Though everyone has different opinions I suppose.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:42:42 pm »
Pah!  My Topeak just isn't a poor pump.  It's a great bit of kit, and the hose means it breaks valves less than most long pumps.

And see point d.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 31 March, 2011, 05:18:09 pm »
If I were in the market for a pump, it would be the Road Morph, no question.

However, I already own a Cyclaire Plus, which is about the same weight, and is even easier to get high pressures out of, so I have no pressing desire to change.  Especially as it, plus puncture tools and a CO2 cartridge all fit in one of the side pockets of my Carradice rack bag where I rarely have to think about them.

CO2 wins on compactness, if you can walk or get a taxi for the n+1th deflation.

Mini pumps are, in my limited experience of the genre, rubbish.  Assuming the good ones don't fall to bits, your arm will instead.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #18 on: 31 March, 2011, 05:30:45 pm »
I use a topeak pocket rocket dx. Weighs in at 100gm and is a good/robust pump.

Under no circumstances buy a blackburn airstick. They will fail when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere. Well, mine (plural) did.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #19 on: 31 March, 2011, 05:32:57 pm »
I love my trusty Zefal HpX, and I like lending it to clubmates after they've struggled with a pathetic mini pump for a while.

However, I'm a minimalist when I'm on my light carbon bike, so I carry a minipump (Topeak Micro Rocket, which works surprisingly well). This works fine for me because I'm a 60kg lightweight and I can get home on 80psi safely. It's also the carry/use ratio - I only punctured once over the entire last winter (and that was an old/faulty tube that deflated overnight). It's definitely a "get me home" pump which I hopefully only have to use 2-3 times a year.

« Reply #20 on: 31 March, 2011, 05:39:17 pm »
I have a trusty Road Morphe which I attach to the bike using the convenient brackets that you used to get with Blackburn Airstick AS1 pumps.   I have bought secondhand AS1's just to get the brackets.

It's not a true mini pump but it's not a monster either and it works awfully well.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #21 on: 31 March, 2011, 05:41:11 pm »
Pah!  My Topeak just isn't a poor pump.  It's a great bit of kit, and the hose means it breaks valves less than most long pumps.

And see point d.

Oh point d) noted:

Sorry Clarion. I get tunel vision sometimes thinking everyone rides round on 23mm tyres.

Had to google Marathon Plus. I see your point why you wouldnt need a frame fit pump.

:)

John

« Reply #22 on: 31 March, 2011, 06:14:18 pm »
blackburn airstick for mild weather 200s
Topeak frame pump for everything else
 :)

jimbhoy

« Reply #23 on: 31 March, 2011, 06:14:34 pm »
Plenty of good replies there then, seems like the road morph wins it, just checked what pump i had and it's a Mini Master Blaster with gauge, and just to check it again i'm now at home and deflated the tyre used said pump and the max i get to is 70psi, that took about 15 mins in dry warm conditions, in the rain and dark no thanks.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #24 on: 31 March, 2011, 06:41:21 pm »
Plenty of good replies there then, seems like the road morph wins it, just checked what pump i had and it's a Mini Master Blaster with gauge, and just to check it again i'm now at home and deflated the tyre used said pump and the max i get to is 70psi, that took about 15 mins in dry warm conditions, in the rain and dark no thanks.

It occurred to me that I've never done a trial. The only meter I have is on my track pump and that's a bit questionable. I use GP4Seasons 25mm and they typically have ~80psi in them when I leave home. The reality is that I don't check the pressure before a ride. If they seem soft I give 'em a puff otherwise I'm out the door.

Anyway, using my Pocket Rocket DX I got to 45psi in two minutes (120 'pumps'), 55psi in three, 80psi in five. I'm quite happy another couple of minutes would have seen >100psi. My track pump struggles to deliver much more than that.

On the road I generally give it 3 minutes/200 'pumps' which is good enough to ride on, then maybe some more when I get to the next control/ somewhere light/warm if I can be bothered.

There's no substitute for a full size Zefal HPX though. Zefal rules.