Author Topic: Great North Road 400: 18 May 2019  (Read 11612 times)

Re: Great North Road 400: 18 May 2019
« Reply #50 on: 13 May, 2019, 02:35:01 pm »
I'm IN!  :thumbsup: Looking forward to the weather forecast being wrong... getting a bit fed up of wet rides now!
05:05 @ Marton Shops.

You'll finish long before me so no offer for a return. And, if it's raining I might just FTFaGOS and go home.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #51 on: 13 May, 2019, 02:47:06 pm »
I'm IN!  :thumbsup: Looking forward to the weather forecast being wrong... getting a bit fed up of wet rides now!

You'll finish long before me so no offer for a return. And, if it's raining I might just FTFaGOS and go home.

Yep - sounds like an ace plan... (would bus stop opps shops be easier?)
I haven't worked out how I am getting home yet either - it'll probably involve the bike I expect :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #52 on: 13 May, 2019, 10:33:50 pm »

Bah I'm in the town centre PI, Nandos just roudn the corner from me

With time to kill, why not go to the cafe at the back of the indoor market and ask for the Famous Darlo Savoury?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #53 on: 13 May, 2019, 10:44:49 pm »

Bah I'm in the town centre PI, Nandos just roudn the corner from me

With time to kill, why not go to the cafe at the back of the indoor market and ask for the Famous Darlo Savoury?

Noted;

« Reply #54 on: 14 May, 2019, 12:01:22 am »

Don't get your hopes up too much. I am one of Deano's little (or in my case not so little) helpers. As a helper you get to ride in advance of the event and still get validated, which helped a lot as I was too late for the Moors and Wolds which is a relatively easy 400k.
On the weather front, I think Deano has a direct line to the Norse weather god ,Freyr.  It has to be Nordic as we're nearer Oslo than Athens and the weather reflects that.
Whenever Deano gets a completed entry form from me,I am sure he is straight on the phone to order up plenty of weather.

The Old Peculier- strong winds and snow on the hills- me DNS
Yorkshire Grit- brass monkeys were looking for welders all over Yorkshire. It hardly raised above freezing all day. O.K it was January .
Beyond the Dales- do you want wind , wet or cold? How about all three? says Freyr.
                          Yes please says Deano-make it hard , in fact the harder the better if they want to do that PBP thing.

So to this weekend. I had elected to ride on Saturday as my diary indicated an early start on Monday morning for a trip to Coventry for a business meeting or as it turned out , find the office block without a functional postcode or the aid of Google maps (not recognised your location).
As I didn't want to be half asleep at the wheel ,I opted for an early start on Saturday followed by a lazy Sunday to recover .
Although the forecast weather was scattered showers and sunny intervals,I also chose to ride without mudguards despite Mrs.M warning of the consequences.
 Look ,I said, SHOWERS, no problem.

I set off at 5 a.m on Saturday and it was cold but not freezing, there was a niggly North Easterly wind but it was dry.
First leg up to Darlo was O.K, not fast , but fairly smooth. these were local roads for me.
Breakfast was taken by the Co-op at Cockerton Green and off I went to Staindrop.
This bit felt a lot harder than it should have and by the time I reached Staindrop, I had a premonition of failure.
My body was cold but my head was sweating like there was no tomorrow. Added to that my stomach was rebelling and I am very grateful that the parish council maintains some public toilets in the middle of town. Basic but functional.
My mood and demeanour didn't match the beautiful countryside.

At the end of the Beyond the Dales ride, the Revd. Graeme OTP  asked if I had topped 50kph on the descent from Eggleston to Staindrop, so I knew what was ahead. (The answer,Graeme, is , yes I did-twice)

The long drag was tempered by the view and the never ending sound of curlews in the air and then without interruption ,I was falling like a stone towards Egglestone bridge. Take care on the descent as the bridge is a bit narrow.
 Info control at Romaldkirk , then on to Barnard Castle ("Barnie" in localspeak) . I was looking forward to breakfast at Morrisons (oh the high life for me) but was dissapointed to find that they don't have a cafe. After using their facilities (again) ,I spied another cafe across the car park and went to partake of beans on toast .

A bit of food helped to restore some equilibrium , as did the long descent from Barnie to Whorlton bridge-another place that holds a few memories for me. The bash towards home was steady away but I never felt great. South of the A66, I found myself right behind what was obviously a very heavy downpour. There  were still a few big drops in the air and plenty of water on the road.
I took off my soaking wet leggings as I had three quarter length shorts on as well.
A cup of tea at Boroughbridge was a good pick me up and then it was proper Great North road all the way to Ferrybridge.

Ferrybridge cooling towers are , for many , the signpost of real up north, so when you get past them and the M62, it's a different world.
This was where the weather kicked in with a vengeance.
 The Clementson curse of wind rain and dropping temperature all combined to make the petrol station at Askern seem like an oasis.
(The Jet petrol station is to the left of the junction as you reach Askern and it has a Subway franchise).

Beyond Askern is MAMBA* country - boredom will overwhelm you ,although I did see a couple of deer by the roadside.
Belton was  the usual forecourt experience , with the garage proprietor anxious to point out that the toilet was not for public use but only for emergencies. My emergency must have passed the test.

There's a bit of COR on the way to Horkstow bridge, which is like  Whorlton without the scenery.  Picturesque in the fading sunset.
Through Flixborough and somewhere round here, there is a short nasty little climb that warranted a skyhook , but unfortunately I didn't have
 one in the saddlebag. From here, you can see T'Humber bridge and it's a nice gentle descent in to Barton to get onto the bridge path. 

Thanks to Dean's excellent directions, for the first time,I managed to clear the country park without detours and get on the road to Welton.
 Probably one benefit of riding alone is that there's no-one else giving their interpretation of the route.
It was now getting colder so I stopped in Welton for a picture of the church. Graeme is running a control there but I had to make do with a cold drink and a Mars bar, although the pub did look inviting.
Beyond Welton it was DARK and COLD. And then just as I got beyond the village lights,the batteries on my Garmin were flagged up as near to death, so I had to stop and change them.
As I don't have turn indication on the GPS, I sailed right through South Cave in blissful ignorance until I reached the Market Weighton by-pass.
A couple of miles of corrective action got me back on the Harswell road and the lowest point , geographically, physically and mentally.

There was cold fog all around and by the time I reached Elvington I needed a break. I was, in theory almost home but it didn't feel like it.
My feet were like blocks of ice and I avoided drinking as my water was so cold. After a short stop and some food from deep in the saddlebag,I was off again , only to be confronted by a yappy little dog in the middle of the road. I shouted loud enough to wake the dead and gained a new pair of legs to outrun it.
In York,I stopped at an ATM but as I grabbed the receipt as proof of passage , the ATM took back the tenner that I had withdrawn. :facepalm:

At this time of night,I wasn't going to bother with cyclepaths, so it was through the city centre, out through Bootham and up the A19 to Shipton.
The rest is a blur except for another ATM session in Boroughbridge to prove that I had done it.
As I  removed my shoes,I was surprised to see all my toes still intact. On Sunday , the evidence of scorched potatoes on the allotment pointed to a ground frost.
The Clementson weather curse continues. Hopefully, I can attone for my sins by running a good control at Skelton on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

I look forward to seeing you all and hope you have better weather.

Just to rub in the salt, Dean did the ride yesterday.
The temperature gauge in my car showed  17 degrees at 4 p.m and the sun was still shining at 8 p.m.
There wasn't a drop of rain all day.
(click to show/hide)

*MAMBA-miles and miles of bugger all

P.S Dean told me that he got cold later on.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #55 on: 14 May, 2019, 07:14:35 am »
Daft bugger - if I'd known you were riding on saturday you could have popped in to the Den to defrost and refuel.  We have a convenient ATM at the 24 hour audax control over the road and everything!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #56 on: 14 May, 2019, 10:39:38 am »

Don't get your hopes up too much. I am one of Deano's little (or in my case not so little) helpers. As a helper you get to ride in advance of the event and still get validated, which helped a lot as I was too late for the Moors and Wolds which is a relatively easy 400k.
On the weather front, I think Deano has a direct line to the Norse weather god ,Freyr.  It has to be Nordic as we're nearer Oslo than Athens and the weather reflects that.
Whenever Deano gets a completed entry form from me,I am sure he is straight on the phone to order up plenty of weather.
...snip...

Thanks for the ride report MC, it confirms my suspicion of clipping the Lincs Wolds  ;)  I did the M&W as well as our G&Y recently, both with a good soaking at least 5 times... I'm thinking this ride (notwithstanding the MAMBA effect) should be easier than M&W though probably in winter gear yet again perhaps...

This one is purely for [training] fun though - no PBP pressure so looking forward to the sights and controls  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #57 on: 14 May, 2019, 04:26:35 pm »
It's quite a good route really.  There is not much urban and the hills are not that hard even for a big bloke like me.
 I was just having a not so good day and having done the hard 300, it should have been a piece of cake even with the extra 100 k.
Weather forecast for Sat/Sun isn't that optimistic at the moment though. Best bring a raincoat.

CL-thanks for the offer. It was well after midnight when I was passing.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #58 on: 14 May, 2019, 07:25:55 pm »
I'd have been up tbh.  Note it for future reference... the Den often keeps fairly odd hours.  Joys of insomnia!

« Reply #59 on: 15 May, 2019, 10:06:51 am »
Through Flixborough and somewhere round here, there is a short nasty little climb that warranted a skyhook , but unfortunately I didn't have
 one in the saddlebag. From here, you can see T'Humber bridge and it's a nice gentle descent in to Barton to get onto the bridge path. 

There's a climb to Flixborough away from the Trent but the the skyhook one will be the one onto Horkstow Wold:it can get a bit gravelly after heavy rain. I don't know if Dean's info has mentioned but if Horkstow Bridge deck is wet I suggest walking across as it gets slippery (from experience) and walking is probably a good idea anyway if you've got anything skinnier than 28s on.

Hope you all have a good one and I look forward to seeing you at Welton  :thumbsup:

« Reply #60 on: 16 May, 2019, 06:35:22 pm »
The sign on Horkstow bridge advises cyclists to dismount because the decking is laid in line with the direction of travel rather than at right angles. As you suggest, with narrow tyres it is possible to drop into the gap between the boards. If it’s wet then it’s just common sense.

Mrs. M has been in full Bake off mode today. All I got was the crumbs.

« Reply #61 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:25:22 am »
Target Speed!...
Anyone averaging 22.42 Kph will arrive at the Green Dragon in Exelby at 10:30 PM.
https://www.exelbygreendragon.co.uk/
Friendly community run pub 30 Km from finish :-)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #62 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:49:25 am »
Target Speed!...
Anyone averaging 22.42 Kph will arrive at the Green Dragon in Exelby at 10:30 PM.
https://www.exelbygreendragon.co.uk/
Friendly community run pub 30 Km from finish :-)

The Green Dragon challenge! From the Green Dragon in Welton to the Green Dragon in a Exelby.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #63 on: 17 May, 2019, 11:07:47 am »
I guess thats an overall average inc stops? (asking for a friend)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #64 on: 17 May, 2019, 12:02:58 pm »
Yeah, that'll be overall average. Perfectly achievable at a moving average of 27 with three hours or so off the bike.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #65 on: 17 May, 2019, 12:21:09 pm »
I'm starting to question my decision to
a) not book a hotel for Saturday night
b) book the 1230 train home on Sunday.

Last time I looked the weather forecast was looking friendlier

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #66 on: 17 May, 2019, 12:22:35 pm »

I'll fetch some spare marigolds at point you at the washing-up ;)

« Reply #67 on: 17 May, 2019, 03:49:57 pm »
The Weather is looking a lot drier all day and warmer early morning and evening. Running the GPX through "weather Bagel" with an average speed of 26 and 28 KPH, there is no rain forecast. Yesterday at those speeds rain was forecast most of the way round.

No need for anything else in the way of clothing to carry now other than a small waterproof jacket just in case and maybe legwarmers.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #68 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:28:21 pm »
Yeah, that'll be overall average. Perfectly achievable at a moving average of 27 with three hours or so off the bike.

That's 5kph faster than 'my friend' would ride for this distance :facepalm:  I'd they'd be happy to knock out 23kph in fact  :D
Regards,

Joergen

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #69 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:51:44 pm »

I'll fetch some spare marigolds at point you at the washing-up ;)
Well I may need something to do to pass the time so why not!

Nae idea how fast/slow I'll be.

Missed the cafè for the Darlo savory sadly.
But one of the newsagents still had creme eggs so all wasn't lost.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #70 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:34:01 pm »
I'm IN!  Looking forward to the weather forecast being wrong... getting a bit fed up of wet rides now!

Still on for tomorrow. See you at the shops?
Regards,

Joergen

Chris S

« Reply #71 on: 17 May, 2019, 06:52:20 pm »
I'm IN!  Looking forward to the weather forecast being wrong... getting a bit fed up of wet rides now!

Yup - probably me driving, still in me jammies - fully intending to go back to bed after dropping you nutters off in Darlo.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #72 on: 17 May, 2019, 07:00:38 pm »

Yup - probably me driving, still in me jammies - fully intending to go back to bed after dropping you nutters off in Darlo.

haha - see ya tomorrow then
 :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #73 on: 19 May, 2019, 11:03:58 am »
It was a pleasure to meet you all as you passed through Skelton. There is not a lot to do on Saturday night and I think that my friends were intrigued to see what audax was all about but also happy to support a great bunch of riders.
We had a few Sleepies, at least one Doc, more than a few Happys but no Grumpys.
 Thanks to Graeme for keeping me updated on rider progress and to Deano for putting it all together.

GNR 400 KM audax

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #74 on: 19 May, 2019, 11:20:42 am »
Enjoyed that, thanks Dean and assisters for putting this on, good ride, decent mix of roads, and plenty curiosity for the engineer in me, (and the reminder as to why I went Software rsther than structural)

I must admit I'm a tad miffed by the lack of reading materials at Skelton reading rooms all the ither riders must have checked the bokloks out before I got there