Author Topic: Gps systems  (Read 1746 times)

Gps systems
« on: 08 January, 2017, 05:11:45 pm »
Hi the wheeler here, im thinking of coming into the 21st century and maybe making the route sheet my 2nd option for audaxing.
Can anyone recommend a simple system to use.
Thanks Rob Gill. ???  ::-).
I would be using it for LEL.

Re: Gps systems
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2017, 05:15:54 pm »
yes, etrex 20 or 30, a gps designed for NAVIGATION unlike edge series etc which are based on being a training system. Plus Etrex take real batteries aka AA batteries rechargeable or not.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2017, 05:37:51 pm »
you need a unit capable of taking 10,000 points in a track because some organisers send you a GPX track and a 600k, which you might one day ride, can take 10,000 points. The Map 64 from Garmin does.
You might prefer replaceable batteries in case they run out far from home.
The best first step is to find a mate with one and get them to show you how they work. it's much faster than trying to teach yourself.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2017, 05:45:30 pm »
The GPS board is the place to trawl: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=63.0

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2017, 05:48:37 pm »
Can anyone recommend a simple system to use.

Simple to use; fit for audax: pick any one.

Garmin eTrex is the sensible default option, on account of being reliable and and having long battery life, but there's a learning curve associated with using any of their products effectively.  TomTom it ain't.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2017, 11:29:45 pm »
I've used a Garmin 800 without fault for the past 4 or 5 years on rides up to 1400km and 10 - 12k miles a year. A small 'pebble' power pack in a top tube bag recharges it about 4 times on longer rides! I think there's plenty of things out there that work and there probably isn't a 'best' system but for those who decry the Edge series I'd disagree and I haven't needed to buy a single battery in 4 years!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:39:12 am »
you need a unit capable of taking 10,000 points in a track because ...

Any modern Garmin (post 2010) that you would consider for bike use can do this.

However I have seen some organiser-supplied tracks that have cosiderably more than 10000 points.  Apparently GPX-fettling and tea-urn polishing are incompatible skills.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2017, 05:47:06 pm »
Easiest is the etrex20, bikehike for making .gpx tracks ., and openstreet maps.nl for clear maps.
There is a learning curve but its not too steep with this unit.
 :) look up the gps thread in the Knowledge