Author Topic: 2019 North Yorkshire Brevet Unpopulaires - now with actual Populaire!  (Read 7719 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: 2019 North Yorkshire Brevet Unpopulaires - now with actual Populaire!
« Reply #25 on: 30 April, 2019, 07:38:19 am »
We solved the logistics of getting a tandem to Newby Wiske with support from CrinklyUncle and CrinklyAuntie and the use of LNER.

Tandem and pilot despatched on the 8:35 to Northallerton in the company of Kim and her clown bike, the stoker and I made our way to CrinklyAuntie's and caught a lift to the start with the CrinklyCuz, who was greeted with great enthusiasm and much spoffling by several of those present.  He was most intrigued by his first encounters with people in cycling helmets, and utterly fascinated with Deano's beard.  He then proceeded to do a sterling job of his first attempt at helping at a control.

Once the riders for the 50 were underway we headed off to Thorp Perrow Arboretum where we established ourselves at a table with a partial view of the Arboretum entrance and in full view of the cafe door, where nearly all the riders managed to find us easily and the awkward one or two eventually worked out the automatic door, and decided to get the lunch part of the day out of the way before they all arrived.

AUK's littlest controller decided to delegate the card-stamping duties, taking time for a restorative nap...

...while his assistants prepared for the arrival of the masses with some extra carb-loading.

The first riders to arrive were told they'd better get some cake in, as they were technically slightly ahead of the control opening time but by the time they'd ordered food, including a rather splendid looking bacon buttie, the stamp came out to work with the vast majority of the riders appearing as one slightly damp group then a few odds and sods trickling in over the next hour.  The CrinklyCrew were the last to arrive, having stopped en route for some essential play park exploration, and CrinklyUncle had an extra task to complete whilst getting his card stamped.

Once the TECs had been despatched into the drizzle we left the cafe, after thanking the very cheerful and helpful staff and while carefully avoiding looking at any trees, and headed back to the arrivee to be greeted by most of the field and to await the arrival of our valiant comedy bike gang.  The littlest controller was again handed round a several of audaxers and had a lovely cuddle from his big cuz when he arrived
After suitable amounts of tea and cake (or milk for those a little on the young side for such delights) Kim and CrinklyUncle headed off once more under grey skies to the station and the rest of us piled back in the car for the journey south, with bonus double snoring from the back seat.

Yeah, if he was interested in my beard, he should have waited around for Graeme's!

I enjoyed adding the 50 (despite it clashing with the marathon...) - it was much more diverse than the other rides, and encouraged a few more locals to come out and play. And a few talked about riding the 100 next year. I just smiled and said they'd be welcome, though it is a very different proposition.

Some photos here, mostly of the reluctant starters (none of them were keen to leave, and some were less keen than others), and a couple from Kirkby Fleetham of the Wombles: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iubPdSb16eBbau7y5

Hopefully we'll do it all again next year, but a question: do we reckon it's worth extending the 150 km /100-mile ride to 200 km? I'm tempted (and might have a route), but I do worry about disenfranchising the riders who were pushing the 12 kph time limit as it was on MGF. It would be good to get the route out to the coast, though...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Clown bike in audax mode:

Obligatory play park break:

The Big Fiery Heater™:

(Every wet ride should have one of these at the finish.   :thumbsup:)

Sadly no pictures of any of the Weather, nor the comedy off-roading.  Or the gorilla, which only SmallestCub spotted, before we instigated an "always call out interesting wildlife" rule.  We later saw a deer, to which CrinklyUncle remarked "Oh deer!", and answered the age old question of why did the chicken cross the road...
(click to show/hide)

Hopefully we'll do it all again next year, but a question: do we reckon it's worth extending the 150 km /100-mile ride to 200 km? I'm tempted (and might have a route), but I do worry about disenfranchising the riders who were pushing the 12 kph time limit as it was on MGF. It would be good to get the route out to the coast, though...

I don't know how practical it is to give a couple of different speed options, but if it were so then you could perhaps give a super early start time for the generous version of the 200, in order to bring it into an acceptable time window for John & Jill, overlapping the other rides?  Also possibly preferable to do the early [road] portion of the ride in the dark rather than the last [off-road] bit?

mrs_e was expressing an interest though; not sure I could push her towards the 200 in good conscience...

« Reply #29 on: 24 August, 2019, 07:27:00 pm »
Will this be running next year? I would be keen to try the DKttR and my son Would like to join me.

Chris S

« Reply #30 on: 24 August, 2019, 07:30:06 pm »
Will this be running next year? I would be keen to try the DKttR and my son Would like to join me.

Deano's away on his holihobs, so may not reply with the immediacy that he would like - but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't on; it's become something of a local "occasion", alongside the 300.

« Reply #31 on: 24 August, 2019, 08:00:49 pm »
Yeah, I am on holiday and I'll sort it out when I get back.

We do still want to do it, but we need to find a different date in the calendar - the original date clashes with Mike's daughter's wedding :)

Chris S

« Reply #32 on: 24 August, 2019, 08:02:52 pm »
Yeah, I am on holiday and I'll sort it out when I get back.

We do still want to do it, but we need to find a different date in the calendar - the original date clashes with Mike's daughter's wedding :)

That's really selfish of her - can't she change it?  ;D

ETA: Better still, merge it with the Stag Do.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #33 on: 25 August, 2019, 07:01:10 pm »
ETA: Better still, merge it with the Stag Do.

:jurek: :jurek: :jurek: :jurek: :jurek:
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #34 on: 21 October, 2019, 01:34:17 pm »
No events from Newby next year - both me and Mike are a bit busy with other stuff.

However, would anyone fancy a version of DKttR from Darlo? I've already got the hall for a weekend in June, and another event on the Sunday (http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-821/), so I could add a Darlo version.

Any interest? It'd either be a long 100 km, or 150 km to get into the Moors a bit more, and either way most of the additional mileage would be easy stuff across the Tees Valley.

« Reply #35 on: 21 October, 2019, 08:19:47 pm »
I'm interested 👍

« Reply #36 on: 21 October, 2019, 09:38:17 pm »
You'll be too busy doing the rough stuff 400, Al (http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-589/ for anyone who hasn't spotted it).

« Reply #37 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:25:33 pm »
I'd like to do something. That 400 looks 'interesting', and l'enclume is probably in the wrng place for a stop, but a side trip to Overwater Hall should ensure a comfortable bed and a grand evening meal (with hangover on Sunday!)

I'll have a crack at something Deano. Been missing these rides. So feel free to go for a Darlo based DKTTR or MGF

Mike

« Reply #38 on: 22 October, 2019, 10:02:34 am »
You'll be too busy doing the rough stuff 400, Al (http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-589/ for anyone who hasn't spotted it).

Spoiled for choice that weekend Dean!

« Reply #39 on: 29 October, 2019, 09:28:48 pm »
I'd like to do something. That 400 looks 'interesting', and l'enclume is probably in the wrng place for a stop, but a side trip to Overwater Hall should ensure a comfortable bed and a grand evening meal (with hangover on Sunday!)

I'll have a crack at something Deano. Been missing these rides. So feel free to go for a Darlo based DKTTR or MGF

Mike

You won't have time for all that if you ride the 400, Mike! I'm working on a village hall to break it up.

I don't mind putting the ride on, but I'll already have a 600 and a 400 starting the Saturday, and a 200 on the Sunday, and I'll be adding a 100 on-road round the northern Dales on the Sunday as well. With all those options, I'm not sure it's worth putting yet-another ride on the Sunday.

« Reply #40 on: 30 October, 2019, 02:03:01 pm »

Mike

You won't have time for all that if you ride the 400, Mike! I'm working on a village hall to break it up.

I don't mind putting the ride on, but I'll already have a 600 and a 400 starting the Saturday, and a 200 on the Sunday, and I'll be adding a 100 on-road round the northern Dales on the Sunday as well. With all those options, I'm not sure it's worth putting yet-another ride on the Sunday.

I can see the point. I've a lot of mileage to do between now and next June, but the 400 does appeal. What is the balance between road and off and how rough is the rough stuff? As long as I can sleep, I'll be happy.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #41 on: 14 November, 2019, 05:18:20 pm »
Interested.  I'm sure Mr Bond would be too.

DKttR 150km looks nice.

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #42 on: 01 December, 2019, 08:57:55 pm »
Interested.  I'm sure Mr Bond would be too.

DKttR 150km looks nice.

Sorry, J (and Al) - I've decided not to run an alternative Darlo DKttR. Realistically, I already have 1300 km of routes to check for that weekend. And my heart says the events belong at Mike's.

I've just registered an on-road 100 km round the Dales, so you'll have that, plus the adventure that is Steele Roads and Woolly Hills, and the other events to choose from.

« Reply #43 on: 01 December, 2019, 09:00:17 pm »

I can see the point. I've a lot of mileage to do between now and next June, but the 400 does appeal. What is the balance between road and off and how rough is the rough stuff? As long as I can sleep, I'll be happy.

It's majorly on-road - the proportion is 85-90% roads. But I expect you'll remember the offroad.

As for the details, I'll probably send out a DKttR-stylee Rough Guide to the Rough Stuff to entrants, but I may not. Do you want to be spoon-fed, or do you want an adventure? :)

« Reply #44 on: 04 December, 2019, 10:50:05 pm »

It's majorly on-road - the proportion is 85-90% roads. But I expect you'll remember the offroad.

As for the details, I'll probably send out a DKttR-stylee Rough Guide to the Rough Stuff to entrants, but I may not. Do you want to be spoon-fed, or do you want an adventure? :)

Give me adventure please, with neither milk nor sugar.

Was just thinking about tyres, gears and if I could get a bit of sleep on the way!

I’ll do one of them and aim for the 400. Having said that I do fancy your 300 road route as well.

Thanks Deano..

« Reply #45 on: 07 December, 2019, 09:43:06 pm »
Ah, do you mean the Dales 300? That's not running this year, but the ride formerly known as the North Riding 300 has been re-branded as Second Class Return to Scarborough (2CR2Scab for short), and is running again: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-203/

In other news, I have booked a village hall (at Greystoke) to be shared between the 400 and the 600, so there'll be the opportunity to sleep - though probably not so much on the 400...