Author Topic: Exped SynMat 12cm - Too hot for summer?  (Read 1581 times)

Exped SynMat 12cm - Too hot for summer?
« on: 07 September, 2015, 11:18:39 am »
 I am trying to decide between Exped Airmat 12cm and SynMat 12cm models. With the insulation in the SynMat is it too warm to use in summer?

I understand that an extra closed cell foam mat can be used under an airmat to keep it warmer in winter but I'd rather have a lightish solution for colder weather camping

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Exped SynMat 12cm - Too hot for summer?
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2015, 11:34:28 am »
I used a Synmat 7 in Chepstow over the Bank Holiday weekend and didn't feel too warm.

I can't say I've ever worried about a camping mat being too warm, and I like a cold sleeping environment. AIUI the insulation is more about keeping the cold ground from you than your own warmth in.

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2015, 11:50:03 am »
I used a Synmat 7 in Chepstow over the Bank Holiday weekend and didn't feel too warm.

Similarly my Downmat 7

I can't say I've ever worried about a camping mat being too warm, and I like a cold sleeping environment. AIUI the insulation is more about keeping the cold ground from you than your own warmth in.

Same thing, of course, but in British conditions it's easy to lose plenty of heat by reducing the insulation above you.  I was using my sleeping bag with the foot end unzipped and the baffles loose at Chepstow, for example.

I've used my DownMat 7M indoors in more-heated-than-I'd-be-comfortable-with houses with just a sheet over me, and didn't feel that it was specifically warm, but having since used barakta's AirMat 12LXW in similar circumstances and found it more comfortable, I think there is a difference.

I reckon that the insulation of a SynMat in warm weather is less of a problem than the lack of insulation of an AirMat in cold weather is likely to be.

« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2015, 04:05:41 pm »
Thanks for the detailed replys, that really helped my decision making.... went for SynMat. .. £150 hole in pocket ... ouch! But I think it's worth it