Author Topic: Corpus Christi Trimble  (Read 25885 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Corpus Christi Trimble
« on: 24 February, 2009, 01:30:20 pm »
I don't know if anyone's been following University Challenge recently?  If you'll recall, our very own intellectual powerhouse, Liverpool Norman gave a very good account of himself on there last year.  Last night was the final, with Manchester lining up against Corpus Christi, Oxford and loosing quite comprehensively.

There's been an unusual amount of media attention for Corpus Christi's team captain, Gail Trimble.  When I first saw her, a few rounds back I thought she was pretty damned good.  Looking at the stats (yes, some people follow University Challenge that closely) she's the greatest University Challenge contestant ever.

In Corpus Christi's run up to the final, she scored more points than her three team-mates combined. In their semi-final, Corpus Christi defeated St John's College, Cambridge, 260-150. Trimble's personal haul was 185. In the quarter-finals, Trimble racked up a record 15 starters-for-10 as Corpus Christi raced to 350 points. Opponents Exeter University limped to 15 points, the equivalent of one correct starter and bonus. It was the lowest score since 1971 and only five points more than the worst of all time.

She slaughtered the opposition and just for once, left Paxo almost speechless.  Oh - and she's hawt.

This last fact has ensured that the daily papers, as well as the blogosphere, have been full of opinions about her.  The Sun hated her and tried to smear her by pointing at her "condescending manner" towards her team mates in congratulating them when they got one right.  They even got her to agree to answering their pop quiz and surprise, surprise, she didn't get any right.  What would she know about Big Brother, FFS?  She got a first in Latin and is studying for her PhD in Latin Literature!

She gets a mention in all sorts of places on the web - from The Times Online to a Long Hair Fetish forum.

What tickled me pink is that a men's magazine approached her brother via Facebook to ask if they could arrange a "tasteful" photo session with her.  Apparently, he sent them an answer saying, 'seriously mate would you give your sister's contact details to Nuts?'

;D

Following in the University Challenge footsteps of past contestants like Clive James, Stephen Fry and Miriam Margolyes, I reckon we're going to see more of Corpus Christi Trimble.

Which is nice  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Corpus Christi Trimble
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2009, 01:33:39 pm »
I was a bit worried when Manchester Yeo decided to do his own Corpus Christi Trimble impression at the beginning of the final.

And yes, I would.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

cc93

« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2009, 01:36:39 pm »
/Beano mode

Girly swot!

/end

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2009, 01:37:59 pm »
Today's Metro has a picture of her in front of a bike.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2009, 01:40:49 pm »
Seriously impressive! And I speak as a friend of Liverpool Ling :)

« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2009, 01:45:07 pm »
A bluestocking in the best sense. Damn, I love intelligent women!

It is obvious that Mr. Yeo also has a bright future, but after a slow start, which gave her team mates a chance to show that they, too, could answer questions, Ms. Trimble finished in her usual awe-inspiring style.

She's quite tall, isn't she? And has a bicycle, of course. She has been photographed with a classic traditional Oxford student upright roadster, which is, I think, entirely appropriate. I can imagine her spending the rest of her life at Corpus Christi, tutoring in Latin & singing in the choir of Corpus Christi chapel, of which she is Precentrix. I must resist the urge to go up there, now I have all this free time . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2009, 01:54:29 pm »
Here's something to carry in your wallet then Bledlow...

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

bikenerd

« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:00:15 pm »
I'd like to see how she'd fair if they asked questions on useful stuff, like science, mathematics and engineering.
Grumble grumble, Uni Challenge is geared towards public school educated, future politician types.
Although I might offer to buy Ms Trimble a drink if I see her in a college bar.  And then ask her about baroclinic instability. + :demon:

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:01:18 pm »
Quite impressive indeed...

PhD in Latin?!  ::-)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #9 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:03:23 pm »
She was saying on the radio this am. that all the attention she's getting from the media etc is essentially because she’s female, the implication being AFAICS that ‘fuss’ especially from some quarters is sexist, and if she was male it would not have been the same.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #10 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:12:31 pm »
She was saying on the radio this am. that all the attention she's getting from the media etc is essentially because she’s female, the implication being AFAICS that ‘fuss’ especially from some quarters is sexist, and if she was male it would not have been the same.

I think she's right.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:14:35 pm »

I think she's right.
I'm certain she's right.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:15:05 pm »

PhD in Latin?!  ::-)

Is there anything wrong with studying Latin to PhD level?

I think she's right.
I'm certain she's right.

Of course she's right.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #13 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:16:06 pm »
I don't as a rule by Nuts magazine. But they would have boosted their circulation many times over that week!
And... blue stockings.... oohhh.... (has a little moment)

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #14 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:20:33 pm »
It is obvious that Mr. Yeo also has a bright future, but after a slow start, which gave her team mates a chance to show that they, too, could answer questions, Ms. Trimble finished in her usual awe-inspiring style.
The difference between the teams wasn't their captains, I thought, but their teamwork. Corpus backed their captain much more effectively than Manchester. Conversely the Mancun. captain interrupted a medical question ahead of the two medics on his team, and got it wrong. Schoolboy stuff.
She's quite tall, isn't she? [...] I can imagine her spending the rest of her life at Corpus Christi,
Tall and Corpus don't really go together. It's like a real college, but at 3/4 scale.
Not especially helpful or mature

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:28:34 pm »

About as useful as Media Studies I'd have thought.

« Reply #16 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:33:08 pm »
When you look around it's actually quite surprising how many (attractive) men have settled down to have kids with reliable, down-to-earth "plain Janes" like Gail rather than the glamour pusses that everyone lusts after.  I can't see her staying in the media eye for long, to be honest.

On a more frivolous note, if she doesn't want to portray herself as "sexy" it's a bit unfortunate that the photo was taken on such a windy day - or did they hire a wind machine to get the effect?  ;)

bikenerd

« Reply #17 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:34:35 pm »

Mr Bagger, you continually make the point that we are a nation that doesn't make anything anymore, and all our wealth is based on pushing electrons around.
Studying Latin is the educational equivalent of this.  It is studying for studying sake.  There's nothing wrong with this, of course, but should it be funded by the state, when it ultimately leads to nothing of any worth?  Both in monetary terms and social terms: her DPhil will sit on a shelf never to be read again.
I also see it as a brilliant mind wasted: if she had applied herself to the sciences, or engineering, then she may have been the person to have a breakthrough in clean energy, or curing AIDS or feeding the world's population.

Disclaimer: I'm a DPhil student in Atmospheric Physics and don't have a brilliant mind, by any stretch.

« Reply #18 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:37:13 pm »

About as useful as Media Studies I'd have thought.

Two years-ish post graduate at the College of law (if she’s so inclined), Oxbridge background – she’ll go far.  Latin will come in handy...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #19 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:39:46 pm »

Mr Bagger, you continually make the point that we are a nation that doesn't make anything anymore, and all our wealth is based on pushing electrons around.
Studying Latin is the educational equivalent of this.  It is studying for studying sake.  There's nothing wrong with this, of course, but should it be funded by the state, when it ultimately leads to nothing of any worth?  Both in monetary terms and social terms: her DPhil will sit on a shelf never to be read again.
I also see it as a brilliant mind wasted: if she had applied herself to the sciences, or engineering, then she may have been the person to have a breakthrough in clean energy, or curing AIDS or feeding the world's population.

Disclaimer: I'm a DPhil student in Atmospheric Physics and don't have a brilliant mind, by any stretch.

I can understand why you say that to an extent, but would like to believe that there should be room for both.

(I confess I am currently applying for an MA in the War Studies dept at Kings so perhaps I’m prejudiced)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:41:48 pm »
Following in the University Challenge footsteps of past contestants like Clive James, Stephen Fry and Miriam Margolyes, I reckon we're going to see more of Corpus Christi Trimble.

Which is nice  :)

Oh feck, I hope not. She came across as intolerably smug to me.

Of course, that could just be her university quiz persona.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #21 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:43:25 pm »

Studying for studying's sake is absolutely fine: you can never be sure how the human race might benefit when top brains are given a free rein. You'll be telling me next that scientists are of greater value to society than historians.

Drudgery for drudgery's sake, which is what much of the "work" currently done actually amounts to, is in my view totally pointless. It would be much more worthwhile to educate our "workforce" just for the sake of it.

« Reply #22 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:43:45 pm »
I confess I am currently applying for an MA in the War Studies dept at Kings so perhaps I’m prejudiced

So what is it good for?

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #23 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:43:54 pm »
If she feels like she wants to stay in academia, then good for her.

That final last night was the best one I have ever seen. That Mr Yeo bitch-slapped CCC for a good few minutes, CCC kept themselves in as sheer background, and then wow-bazam, in Ms Trimble comes with some heavy blows. The show was a joy to watch.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #24 on: 24 February, 2009, 02:45:13 pm »
(I confess I am currently applying for an MA in the War Studies dept at Kings so perhaps I’m prejudiced)

War Studies, which presumably is a branch of history, is well worth studying. If a few more historians had been consulted in 2003, then we might not have invaded Iraq.

There seems to be a dangerous mindset which assumes that all education should be geared to make itself useful in some way to "business".