Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 858870 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #3550 on: 16 June, 2019, 09:03:11 pm »
That the German phrase 'jemandem unter die Arme greifen'  (literally to grasp someone under the arms) means 'to help'.

There's a lovely Scots word for the literal meaning, or rather, to carry or drag somebody in that fashion - to oxtercog

I learned today that I've forgotten something which I learned over ten years ago.

Having a Killinchy oxter in Ireland means your arm's round a girl.

Oxter is the term for armpit I'd expect all kinds of derivatives.

Is there one such for 'crutch palsy' the wrist drop caused by pressure in the oxter?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3551 on: 16 June, 2019, 09:07:42 pm »
That the German phrase 'jemandem unter die Arme greifen'  (literally to grasp someone under the arms) means 'to help'.

There's a lovely Scots word for the literal meaning, or rather, to carry or drag somebody in that fashion - to oxtercog

I learned today that I've forgotten something which I learned over ten years ago.

I wonder if that's a pun on it sounding a bit like clinch?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3552 on: 18 June, 2019, 08:35:40 am »

I wonder if that's a pun on it sounding a bit like clinch?

Killinchy is a village in Norn Iron, but more than that I don't know. I originally heard the term from my Latin master, in an end-of-term quiz. I don't think I've heard it since.

---o0o---

And I have learnt that for all it's touchy-screened and shiny, the Garmin Oregon doesn't include BPM & °C records in its exported GPX files. Have to go through Basecamp or similar. Soddem, I'll stick to my eTrex 30x.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #3553 on: 18 June, 2019, 11:21:05 am »

Is there one such for 'crutch palsy' the wrist drop caused by pressure in the oxter?

I ve never heard of one, but I know (now) that a crutch is sometimes called an oxterstick, and crutch palsy is also known as homeymoon palsy or Saturday night palsy.

There more deriviations of oxter on this blog, which reminded me of the Seamus Heaney verse:

In the deep pool at Portstewart, I waded in
Up to the chest, then stood there half-suspended
Like Vitruvian man, both legs wide apart,
Both arms out buoyant to the fingertips,
Oxter-cogged on water.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #3554 on: 24 June, 2019, 12:30:26 pm »
If you drop a container load of trainers into the sea off the east coast of the southern USA, when they've crossed the Atlantic and start washing up on the coasts of Europe the left and right trainers tend to wash up separately on different beaches, sometimes in different countries.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3555 on: 24 June, 2019, 12:52:10 pm »

I ve never heard of one, but I know (now) that a crutch is sometimes called an oxterstick, and crutch palsy is also known as homeymoon palsy or Saturday night palsy.

There more deriviations of oxter on this blog, which reminded me of the Seamus Heaney verse:

In the deep pool at Portstewart, I waded in
Up to the chest, then stood there half-suspended
Like Vitruvian man, both legs wide apart,
Both arms out buoyant to the fingertips,
Oxter-cogged on water.

Oddly when I search Oxter is given as scots/northern English and Uxter as Irish.
Yet i'd definitley call them Uxters

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3556 on: 24 June, 2019, 05:19:41 pm »
I'd never heard of 'champ' until I looked at the menu for the restaurant in the hotel I've booked for David in Armagh.

It's creamy potato mash and spring onions.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3557 on: 24 June, 2019, 06:25:47 pm »
I'd never heard of 'champ' until I looked at the menu for the restaurant in the hotel I've booked for David in Armagh.

It's creamy potato mash and spring onions.

You can, or could, buy it in Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3558 on: 24 June, 2019, 06:44:58 pm »
I try to avoid too much pre-cooked food and it's usually well below anything for which I scroll down online.

David didn't know what it was when I asked him, but said he had eaten it on his trips to Ireland. He's been to Ireland several times though I have never been there. David has a cousin in Tralee and went to Kerry with some astronomer friends earlier this year.

« Reply #3559 on: 24 June, 2019, 06:53:13 pm »
I thought champ could also include wilted shredded cabbage, or is that an inauthentic variant?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3560 on: 24 June, 2019, 07:01:34 pm »
I've heard that called colcannon, but they may be one and the same thing for all I know.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3561 on: 24 June, 2019, 07:12:38 pm »
My online search suggested there was a difference but I can't remember what...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3562 on: 24 June, 2019, 07:16:24 pm »
Anyway, it's probably a sort of onomatopoeic word for mash so any local variant will do. My late Flemish grandmother used to make 'stamp', which was a carrot and potato mash.

« Reply #3563 on: 24 June, 2019, 08:42:29 pm »
Champ is mash with spring onions, Colcannon is mash with kale/cabbage (bubble and squeak when fried but that’s English, not Irish).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3564 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:05:01 pm »
bubble and squeak is any old left over veg, formed into patties and shallow fried - roast spuds, carrots,cabbage, sprouts...
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3565 on: 25 June, 2019, 02:14:51 pm »
Champ is also a game that consists, IIRC, of throwing a ball at people to get them out when they're off base. Or something similar. But that's different. Anyway...

On Sunday I learned that when it opened, which I think was about 1875*, the Sharpness Canal was the deepest and broadest in the world.

Yesterday I learned that it's no longer possible to top up a phone from an ATM. Which is a nuisance.

*1827 in fact.

« Reply #3566 on: 25 June, 2019, 03:46:39 pm »
That you're supposed to collect discharge paperwork when you leave A&E. 

My wife found this out when visiting the practice nurse this morning to get a cut (that which necessitated the original visit to A&E) re-dressed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3567 on: 25 June, 2019, 05:17:24 pm »

Yesterday I learned that it's no longer possible to top up a phone from an ATM. Which is a nuisance.

Really?  I thought it was some sort of temporary problem with my provider or bank.
Assumed all would be well if I just waited a few days.
Bugger.
So I suppose I'll have to do it online with yet more bleeding passwords.   >:(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3568 on: 25 June, 2019, 05:25:13 pm »

Really?  I thought it was some sort of temporary problem with my provider or bank.
Assumed all would be well if I just waited a few days.
Bugger.
So I suppose I'll have to do it online with yet more bleeding passwords.   >:(

I top mine up by phoning and using a card.
I think I had to register the card.

It's all automated and I don't speak to humans or need passwords.

I'm with EE.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3569 on: 25 June, 2019, 05:34:24 pm »
I'm with ee. I've occasionally had a card that they'd swipe in the local convenience store, but it always stopped working after a couple of months.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3570 on: 25 June, 2019, 05:38:55 pm »
I meant standard credit/debit card.

Dial 150 and take it from there.

Lines are closed overnight.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3571 on: 25 June, 2019, 05:40:39 pm »
It's nothing to do with the provider, cos they don't know that till you select(ed) it. I tried four different ATMS (Barclays, Lloyds, Sainsburys, Natwest) and all were the same – it's just not an option anymore. Perhaps it's temporary but that seems unlikely. I don't fancy registering a bank card with the phone, seems too much hassle and too much potential shit to go wrong if I should ever lose the phone or it got stolen. So I went into a shop and got a voucher. I assume the point is to push everyone onto accounts.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3572 on: 25 June, 2019, 05:43:34 pm »
I meant standard credit/debit card.

Dial 150 and take it from there.

Lines are closed overnight.
Really? That's incredible! It means the only convenience over a voucher is if you're somewhere without shops (but with a signal) and it's daytime. I'm pretty sure you can use a voucher at night.

Do you have any clue as to why the lines are closed overnight?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3573 on: 25 June, 2019, 06:44:00 pm »
I dial 150 quite often to check my balance and have learned to do this  before too late. I don't know what time they shut up shop.

I think some options eventually lead to a Real HumanTM and it's cheaper not to employ these overnight when demand is low and overtime is high.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3574 on: 25 June, 2019, 07:53:48 pm »
I text 'bal' to 150 to check my balance.   Without the inverted commas obs.