Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 846996 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #3600 on: 11 July, 2019, 10:50:18 pm »
Hmm, I used that word in an email on Monday.
You are our original sauce AICMFP 😛
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #3601 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:01:24 pm »
I do wonder if I imagined the entire internet.

This happened with bears. One night as I dozed off I thought up an animal, kind of like a big dog that really liked going to the loo in the woods, and would do anything for honey. The next day I was reading the paper, and there it was, a story about an animal called a bear. So basically I invented bears. I'm not even asking for a royalty.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3602 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:02:07 pm »
I do wonder if I imagined the entire internet.

I think that was Al Gore.  You may have imagined him.

ian

« Reply #3603 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:09:38 pm »
It's quite possible. A lot of things pass through my mind as I fall asleep, who knows which ones get actioned.

We've just hired a Jess at work. As you might remember, Jess is my favourite vampire ex-librarian and occasional saver of the world. That's an entirely different Jess though. My brain however confuses them. This is eventually going to result in a more generalized confusion and possible logical decoherence. I am wondering now if the undead Jess would actually like a job in a corporate mothership. Things can only get better*.

*Oh boy, now that song is in my head. Awesome.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3604 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:48:13 pm »
Now this is getting surreal because Dr Beardy (Mrs) has a colleague called Jess who has just quit to take up another role at a different institution.
I’m now going to go to bed before any more weird shit happens.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3605 on: 12 July, 2019, 08:01:23 am »
My Inlaw Maw was called Jessie.  De mortuis nil nisi bonum so nuff said.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3606 on: 12 July, 2019, 08:15:05 am »
Jess stop it.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3607 on: 12 July, 2019, 09:13:18 am »
Yesterday I learned a new word: otiose.
I didn't know it had meanings 2 and 3. Not sure I've ever used it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3608 on: 12 July, 2019, 09:45:43 am »
I have learned (well, yesterday) that:

1) I am an utter and thoroughgoing div. Well, not learned, just reinforced
2) The steel that bottom bearings are made from means that it is not practical, faced with a seized drive side bearing, to grind off the face and then hacksaw through to remove. Trying to do so leaves a conundrum that will need a chunk of metal welded on to the stub of the bearing, and has potentially trashed the frame. See item (1). I may try a diamond blade on a reciprocating saw, hacksaw just slides over.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3609 on: 12 July, 2019, 01:55:01 pm »
Thought the standard technique for a siezed fixed cup was to put the largest nut and bolt that will fit through the bearing and then tighten it with the biggest spanner you can find.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3610 on: 12 July, 2019, 03:40:54 pm »
Yesterday I learned a new word: otiose.
I didn't know it had meanings 2 and 3. Not sure I've ever used it.

Did you notice the 2nd US pronunciation? "Odious".

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3611 on: 13 July, 2019, 12:20:23 pm »
That there are things called Key Locked Thread Inserts. They do the same job as Helicoil inserts (repair banjaxed threads) but are installed using regular drills and taps.

Abom79, one of the cake decorating machinist YouTube channels I watch shows the installation.
Big Brother is watching us! This very video has just popped up in my feed, and it is a contributor I have not watched before, although I have watched the output of other cake decorators machinists.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3612 on: 13 July, 2019, 12:36:17 pm »
I discovered that some people with spinal injuries are unable to sweat and to properly maintain body temperature in cold weather.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3613 on: 13 July, 2019, 01:04:17 pm »
That there are things called Key Locked Thread Inserts. They do the same job as Helicoil inserts (repair banjaxed threads) but are installed using regular drills and taps.

Abom79, one of the cake decorating machinist YouTube channels I watch shows the installation.
I am liking these very much.
I have always considered Helicoil inserts to be off the scale on the bodge-o-meter.
Who thought that replacing a thread in a solid material with a spring was a good idea?

« Reply #3614 on: 14 July, 2019, 07:18:15 am »

Big Brother is watching us! This very video has just popped up in my feed, and it is a contributor I have not watched before, although I have watched the output of other cake decorators machinists.

The same thing happened to me. I suspect it is an overlap with the followers of project binky.

ian

« Reply #3615 on: 14 July, 2019, 12:04:43 pm »
I discovered that some people with spinal injuries are unable to sweat and to properly maintain body temperature in cold weather.

I damaged some nerves on my scalp so when I so much as sniff vinegar, water pours off my scalp in a Niagaran cascade. It's my party trick (admittedly my bookings as a children's entertainer are down). On the downside, I can only eat buffalo wings alone and with the towel. Which, now I've written it, sounds very wrong. But I love buffalo wings, so.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3616 on: 14 July, 2019, 03:13:32 pm »

I damaged some nerves on my scalp so when I so much as sniff vinegar, water pours off my scalp in a Niagaran cascade. It's my party trick (admittedly my bookings as a children's entertainer are down). On the downside, I can only eat buffalo wings alone and with the towel. Which, now I've written it, sounds very wrong. But I love buffalo wings, so.

Of all you've written, it's only this that seems very wrong?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #3617 on: 15 July, 2019, 09:34:12 am »
I neglected to mention the swimming trunks. No sense soaking a clean shirt. Plus the sauce gets everywhere.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3618 on: 17 July, 2019, 06:33:05 pm »
That vaping is illegal in Australia. Or might technically be legal but only if it contains zero nicotine.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3619 on: 17 July, 2019, 07:19:26 pm »
But you can buy cigarettes in packs of up to 50.

« Reply #3620 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:12:17 pm »
The right way to pronounce ukulele is  "OO-koo-LEH-leh"

Demonstrated here by Taimane Gardner the Hawaiian ukulele virtuoso:

https://youtu.be/FDQwz3IZYbM
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3621 on: 18 July, 2019, 07:55:32 am »
Sure, but then you have to pronounce virtuoso as VIRT-OO-OH-SO, it being just as furrin as ukulele.

« Reply #3622 on: 18 July, 2019, 11:42:48 am »
Sure, but then you have to pronounce virtuoso as VIRT-OO-OH-SO, it being just as furrin as ukulele.

True and I aren't going to start pronouncing it the Hawaiian way I just thought it was interesting.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3623 on: 18 July, 2019, 01:21:20 pm »
You'd get funny lyooks if you did.

« Reply #3624 on: 19 July, 2019, 07:25:20 pm »
You'd get funny lyooks if you did.

Unless I happened to br in Hawaii.