Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 225668 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1050 on: 24 November, 2018, 08:33:02 pm »
I saw the Human League last night, ably supported by Midge Ure. Greatest hits shows and seated venues aren’t usually my thing, but it was a good show, well lit, multiple costume changes and dancing in the isles. I enjoyed the music, and the live interpretation - not far from an album sound, but made to work live. Didn’t buy the t shirt or programme.

« Reply #1051 on: 25 November, 2018, 12:29:24 pm »
I saw Human League ( and Midge Ure)  in Manchester last night. Was excellent.  Yes, all the greatest hits, but to be hoest thats what I wanted for my money, not a lot of obscure unknown tracks.   Second time I've seen Midge Ure, first time was in the old Beverley Playhouse that held about 300 people,  doing an acoustic set, but he was great both times.   A really good enjoyable evening.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1052 on: 29 November, 2018, 02:39:12 pm »
Ana Popovic at Nell's in West Ken.  Blues-rock guitarist originally from that hotbed of all things cotton-picking Belgrade.  She's rather nifty on the Strat but something - probably the sound man - was off with the vocals as I couldn't even make out much of what she said between songs.  I'd see her again, but Joanne Shaw Taylor at the same venue was better.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1053 on: 08 December, 2018, 11:30:48 pm »
Terry and Gerry, featuring turista OTP at the Green Door,. Brighton. Cracking gig. Small venue, crowd of, what, 100? Chatted to Terry beforehand, he signed a t shirt I bought, my friend got him a midset G & T. Everyone knew the words, they poured their hearts and souls into it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1054 on: 09 December, 2018, 02:11:36 am »
The Burning Hell at the Cluny 2 on Friday.  Blooming splendid it was too.  Ariel Sharratt belting out a cover of '9 to 5' was one of those moments when you just think 'yup, my life is now complete'.

(support was fairly annoying, but not annoying enough to make me fight my way out of the stupid seating arrangements which seem designed to maximise how many ppl a fat clumsy gig-goer will stand on/inadvertently lapdance whilst negotiating an exit although otherwise he would probably have fallen foul of my two song rule)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1055 on: 09 December, 2018, 11:22:03 am »
A five or six song covers set by the surviving members of The Luckyband (aided and abetted by Emma on keyboards and Paul on guitar) at Mr Sunshine's wake yesterday.  Wonderfully shambolic.

« Reply #1056 on: 09 December, 2018, 09:27:26 pm »
Great Lake Swimmers at Broadcast on sauchiehall street.  Great little venue and the band were really good. Played a lot of their new album and some older ones including a lot from Ongiara. Very enjoyable night out. Was sat next to the band in the bar upstairs before the gig  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1057 on: 15 December, 2018, 12:02:27 pm »
The very splendid Pokey Lafarge at the Round Chapel in Clapton last night.  Highlight was probably his doing the last two songs unplugged from the high pulpit while swigging from a bottle of wine.  This is probably blasphemy.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1058 on: 15 December, 2018, 12:06:37 pm »
Steve Hackett, Nottingham, 1st October.  Rick Wakeman before that, and Wishbone Ash before that.  Think that list gives me away.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1059 on: 15 December, 2018, 01:01:26 pm »
Great Lake Swimmers at Broadcast on sauchiehall street.  Great little venue and the band were really good. Played a lot of their new album and some older ones including a lot from Ongiara. Very enjoyable night out. Was sat next to the band in the bar upstairs before the gig  :thumbsup:

Didn’t realise they had a new album! Will have to check it out

What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1060 on: 22 December, 2018, 03:53:39 pm »
Utah Saints and PWEI in Brighton last night. Both were great fun, and lots of sweaty dancing was had.

1994s Ich Bin Ein Auslander to open, and pointedly so.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1061 on: 26 January, 2019, 01:09:09 pm »
Hope Not Hate benefit at Islington Assembly Hall last night.  First up The Wakes, angry Glaswegian lefteye six-piece (though the small-eight-string-thing-is-it-a-mandolin? was inaudible) before the main event, one Mr William Bragg, esq.  Billy may be on the wrong side of sixty but he was in fine - and angry - form and once again managed the rare feat of getting Miss von Brandenburg to sing along.

« Reply #1062 on: 29 January, 2019, 11:01:08 pm »
Gretchen Peters at the Kings in Glasgow. And she was really good.

fuzzy

« Reply #1063 on: 07 February, 2019, 10:11:43 am »
Tears For fears at the O2, supported by Alison Moyet. 80's heaven. All the old favourites and the odd new one.

Only problem was our seats were close to the stage off to the left- right in the broadcast zone of the effing big speaker stack/ hanging things. High notes and shouting were very painful. No.1 son who is Aspbergers and has sensitive hearing had to resort to over ear ear defenders.

« Reply #1064 on: 27 February, 2019, 09:06:52 pm »
I had a musical weekend, 4 gigs at the Liverpool International Jazz Festival , then on Monday Joan Baez at Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.

The Darius Brubeck Quartet,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-JUcM22gbs

The Atom String Quartet, from Poland,   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-n912qgEQY

Vein, from Switzerland, with Andy Sheppard on sax,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z60FZ0-8maI

Joan Baez , https://youtu.be/bzySGlbNvaI

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

fuzzy

« Reply #1065 on: 28 February, 2019, 10:26:34 am »
That Prof Brian Cox at Wemberly Arena.

I understood some of it!

There was some lovely imagery as well.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1066 on: 03 March, 2019, 09:25:58 pm »
The Neto Band, starring Jose Neto. Photos to follow. Unless I can put one on Flickr
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1067 on: 04 March, 2019, 09:06:36 am »

It is simpler than it looks.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1068 on: 10 March, 2019, 07:06:11 pm »
Merry Hell at The Half Moon, Putney in the splendid company of Pippsy, my sister, her friend and my grate frend Frsnk.

Merry Hell are, at present, a six piece, folky/protest group from Wigan. Their songs are full of energy and hope. And we did the actions when requested.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1069 on: 15 March, 2019, 07:34:16 pm »
Currently sat in the Brudenell Social Club waiting for Bob Mould to come on. Yay!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1070 on: 16 March, 2019, 07:29:24 am »
Bob Mould was amazing. He played solidly for 90 minutes of high energy screaming in tune with the guitar and bouncing around the stage... like an angry little Santa. He treated us to material from Husker Du, his Bob Mould days, from Sugar and also his new album, weaving the tracks together in goups of three or four 4/5 minute songs pausing only briefly between each track. The acoustics of the Brudenell Social Club were so good that even with this type of music I was clearly able to recognise the tracks and songs - it wasn't a wall of noise like 'The Church' in Leeds was when JAMC played. This was awesome. Alcohol free beers behind the bars too.

Great to be back at a gig with a proper mosh-pit and some stage diving... although I didn't partake of the dive opportunities. Just wonderful to be among people who dance.

One of the best gigs I've been to. 5 stars.
:)

(I wonder how long before my tinnitus settles down to the normal levels of ringing.)

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #1071 on: 16 March, 2019, 11:57:51 am »
(I wonder how long before my tinnitus settles down to the normal levels of ringing.)

I saw Bob Mould a couple of years ago and just can't handle the volume anymore.  :(

That and the fact that ageing indie kids now have a cross sectional area twice that back in the day  :P

(Sugar weren't exactly quiet thoughbut. I remember the condensed sweat dripping from the ceiling in Edwards No.7, Brum. Nice)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1072 on: 21 March, 2019, 12:19:30 pm »
Joanne Shaw Taylor at the Shepherd's Bush Empire last night with my grate frend Mr Woolrich and the ubiquitous Steve from Uxbridge.  New bass player replacing the splendidly-named Luigi Casanova, new album (Reckless Heart), same thunderous Telecaster1 abuse.  Buy.  Buy her new record.

Support band were a pack of hairy tattoed Irishmen calling themselves Blackwater Conspiracy2.  They sounded like they'd hitched a lift in the TARDIS from 1976.  Think Thin Lizzy meets Lynyrd Skynyrd.  They are æxcellent.  Buy.  Buy their record.

1: Mostly.  She also tormented a Les Paul and an SG.
2: Who, it turns out, mostly used to be called Million Dollar Reload.

« Reply #1073 on: 21 March, 2019, 07:59:00 pm »
Saw Oli Brown last night (Mr L would approve I am sure).  He is certainly at the "rock" end of the blues spectrum, and his blue Epiphone needed not just a rest but would need a man with a spanner today to get it back in action.  He was as good as ever, although I'm not sure if it is my age, if I'm turning into my dad or if they had turned the volume up even more than usual, but it was loud.  Very loud.  Not quite as bad as AC/DC, but getting there.

The big surprise though was the support act.  One Matt Woosey.  I've never come across him before but he played solo acoustic guitar and was simply superb.  A few old classics plus a lot of his own stuff.  He finished with Willie Dixon's Little Red Rooster.  Wow, just wow!  One "support act" I'll be looking out for in the future, I even went as far as putting my name on to his mailing list, something I normally never do just incase they sell my details to the Russians or Chinese or whoever.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1074 on: 18 April, 2019, 10:00:04 am »
Joe Jackson, last night, at the London Palladium.  It was billed as a 40th anniversary tour but, as he also has a new-ish album out, it was the usual mix of old and new songs, but not leaning quite as heavily on his 'Night and Day' album as some of his shows in the last 20 years!  Of his two hits, Is She Really Going Out With Him was dispensed with early in the set and the encore was a perfectly-reproduced version of Stepping Out, utilising the 1979 Korg drum machine from the original, which was ceremoniously brought on to the stage like an ancient artefact. The low point was probably an uninteresting and unnecessary rendition of The Beatles' Rain, which was introduced as making the point that there was no title track on Joe's album of the same name  ::-)

Having seen him play a short solo set on several occasions, I'd love to see Joe perform a completely solo show, as Elvis Costello did brilliantly a few years ago. However, at least he's working with same three-piece band from his last tour and they are a spectacularly tight combo. Unfortunately, about half way through someone on the mixing desk decided to crank up the volume and over-emphasise the guitar, which made some parts of the second half quite painful to listen to. The acoustics at that venue are pretty dire at the best of times and it doesn't respond well to over-amplification.

Overall, about 8/10 - docked one point for the sound and one for not playing the sublime Love at First Light from the Volume 4 album.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?