Author Topic: Lens hire  (Read 1960 times)

Lens hire
« on: 17 April, 2012, 07:38:07 pm »
My eldest bear graduates in July.   Being a proud daddy bear I want to get the best possible shots so I'm thinking about hiring some quality glass.   The camera is a Sony (formerly Minolta mount etc).  Any recommendations out there please?

I'm thinking of a 50mm - 70mm prime for general shots and a longer prime for the presentation ceremony.   I think from experience too that fast lenses would be better.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Lens hire
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2012, 07:40:06 pm »
Will you be allowed to use a camera during the ceremony?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2012, 07:44:09 pm »
Just to help others to help you and avoid confusion......

Can you confirm that your camera uses an APS-C format, meaning a 50mm lens on your camera behaves more like a 75mm on "full frame"?

Maybe you could hire a top quality fast zoom that would provide most of the advantages of primes without having to change lenses?  One would be horrendously expensive to buy, but when hiring...
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2012, 07:56:15 pm »

Indeed.   #1 bear has checked and confirmed this already.   They would prefer people not to use flash.

Can you confirm that your camera uses an APS-C format, meaning a 50mm lens on your camera behaves more like a 75mm on "full frame"?

Correct.

Maybe you could hire a top quality fast zoom that would provide most of the advantages of primes without having to change lenses?  One would be horrendously expensive to buy, but when hiring...

I would need a v high quality lens with a range of say 50-200 and being very fast at the high end.   I will need the high end in the ceremony where it is likely that I will be too far away for flash to be really effective, and in any case, they would prefer no flash photography.   I don't want to lose image quality too much by bumping up the iso.   

To be honest, I would be happy to compromise with one mid range tele for a nice sharp shot or three iduring the ceremony, then use my nice Sigma 17-70 afterwards when light and subject will be more 'controllable!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2012, 08:04:17 pm »
I would need a v high quality lens with a range of say 50-200 and being very fast at the high end.

Such things do exist, nearly.

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telezoom/70-200mmOS.htm

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/dclenses/50-150mmEX.htm
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2012, 08:06:37 pm »
Calumet?  Although I don't know if they do anything other than Cannikon.

If you're going to hire something, why not just get a 5D or a D3 anna posh lens?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »
I did consider this Charlotte but then realised that I'd have to teach myself how to use the camera very quickly leaving me at risk of making unforced errors at a critical, not-to-be-repeated moment.   

I like that first lens Biggsy.  Wish I could afford one.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2012, 10:53:08 pm »
The Sigma 120-300 f2.8 is very well regarded. Might give you a bit more length.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2012, 11:46:21 pm »
Calumet?  Although I don't know if they do anything other than Cannikon.
They don't (other than medium format - 'blad/mamiya)

Sony 70-200 f2.8 G, £70/week, £104/2wk, based in Brecon
See also (Sussex) (a bit more, but does daily hire)

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:53:36 pm »
Excellent. Thanks Andrew.  :thumbsup:

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2012, 06:26:55 pm »

Indeed.   #1 bear has checked and confirmed this already.   They would prefer people not to use flash.

Correct.

I would need a v high quality lens with a range of say 50-200 and being very fast at the high end.   I will need the high end in the ceremony where it is likely that I will be too far away for flash to be really effective, and in any case, they would prefer no flash photography.   I don't want to lose image quality too much by bumping up the iso.   

To be honest, I would be happy to compromise with one mid range tele for a nice sharp shot or three iduring the ceremony, then use my nice Sigma 17-70 afterwards when light and subject will be more 'controllable!

Oops, a bit of double quoting, but I'm too thick to unscramble it.  PB, how do you find your Sigma 17-70?  I'm considering one for my Sony A55, as I'm not impressed with the kit 18-55.  However I will wait till I find out if I will ever get my Sigma 70-300 Apo back from Sigma after it screwed up on our New Zealand Holiday, and in the process  fucked up my albatross photos.
Wombat

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2012, 12:05:11 am »
I've got the Nikon fit 17-70 and love it. Robust, sharp and with excellent macro.
Not a light chunk of lens. I have the unpowered version on a D80 (has the AF motor in the camera)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:43:18 pm »
Cruel, heartless man...   ;D  Sadly, proprietary ones are not any use to me.  It has to be an "independant" make, or the apparently rather nice sony 16-105.  The supplied Sony 18-55 is a noisy, rattly, yet still stiff in parts thing which I am unimpressed with.  Optically its not bad, its just not nice to use, and I wanted a slightly longer zoom range, but not a great lumpy thing.  I also have a Sigma 10-20, which I do like.  Allegedly I have the Sigma 70-300 apo, but I've almost forgotten I own it, as Sigma seem to think its theirs.  Can I have my lens back (and working), please Mr Sigma?
Wombat

« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:41:25 pm »
The Sony fit Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 DC macro OS with hypersonic motor is a truly fabulous lens.   I use it on a Sony Alpha 350.   Macro is awesome,   You can get the subject within a couple of inches of the front of the lens.  Focus speed is truly incredible as well as quiet.   The hypersonic motor certainly is good.

It is significantly heavier than the standard glass that you get with a consumer dslr.    I turn the image stabilisation off as the Sony has this in the body of the camera already.    The images are definitely brighter and crisper than the stock Sony glass but so they should be given the price differential.   

I am so impressed with the lens that I'm contemplating buying the Canon version for my eldest son as a graduation present.

« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:42:26 pm »
Oh, and according to the box, it is compatible with an Alpha 55   8)