Author Topic: IP addresses  (Read 2431 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
IP addresses
« on: 14 April, 2008, 05:13:08 pm »
If I take my laptop over to a friends houes and use their internet connection, does my IP address change, or it is unique to my computer?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Re: IP addresses
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2008, 05:14:11 pm »
It'll change.

It's linked to the network (internet connection)

Edit below:

Although it does depend on what you mean as "IP Address"  (complicated)

Your laptop will be given an IP address by your friends internet router.  This will be a local address on his network.  If this is just a typical home user router, it'll probably be in the range 192.168.0.x (cos that's were most of them are).  There is therefore a likelihood that your IP address as seen by the laptop might get the same number.

However, the internet side of things, such as the IP address recorded on the posts you make here, will be linked to your friends Internet Provider's network, not your own.

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2008, 05:15:12 pm »
If I take my laptop over to a friends houes and use their internet connection, does my IP address change, or it is unique to my computer?
Your IP address will change.  It's like the phone number of an internet connection. 

Some IPs are dynamic, which means that they change every time you connect on that line, just to complicate matters. 
EDIT: what Nutty said. 

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2008, 05:33:28 pm »
Thanks guys.  :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart